Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
The cost of housing is rising dramatically, they're trying to hide it with rent controls.
That's nothing new. It's been going on for decades around here. And they wonder why there's a dire lack of rentals and why all the ones they call affordable are poorly maintained.
Face it cost of living is WAY higher than it was a few years ago. Personally my food budget is up a lot vs 3 years ago.
Perhaps it's because I cook a lot but it has not seemed that bad for me. I noticed mainly meat/chicken/fish but not specifically the last two years.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Have you ever seen the corporate taxes, income taxes and sales taxes of the happiest and best countries to live in the world? Denmark, Finland, Sweden, Norway, Netherlands, Germany, etc?
I doubt they're happy because they have a large tax bill. They're happy because they have good public policy, which in turn may require collecting substantial taxes to implement. The taxes do no good if the government is just pissing the money away.

·
Registered
672 Posts
He's forgetting the "wealth effect" of rising asset values, caused by central banks lowering interest rates and buying mortgage bonds to free up liquidity, allowing banks to create more loans.

Millions of Canadians renewed or refinanced their mortgages at record low rates, leaving them flush with cash to spend on goods - a recipe for inflation.
Indeed, I was forced to refinance in 2020 and it just happened that the bank offered 2% fixed and would happily give me enough extra money to cover the payments for the whole 5 year term. And kept literally shoveling money in my pockets every other week (promotion to cover transaction fees, promotion for opening an account, oh by the way the rate just dropped again, etc).

Now I can do math and manage that properly but I'm sure most people don't.

Edit: As for Garth, I believe it's much simpler: he does not like PP so he will speak opposite of him on pretty much anything he can. He's been ranting about low rates inflating house prices for years now, yet somehow the same does not apply to other goods? Yeah right...

·
Registered
672 Posts
Cities like Toronto definitely need to impose limits on cars entering the downtown. It's ridiculous. Having lived in Toronto for years I can tell you that the residents who actually live in the city center don't have too many cars themselves. It's the commuters and shoppers who all insist on driving (often alone) into the city, causing a disgusting mess of traffic, smog, pollution in the air.
Funny, I see the opposite in Montreal. In many areas, nearly all the on street parking now requires a permit and is basically reserved for residents. It has become extremely difficult to visit someone there by car because you just can't park. But the residents themselves have plenty of cars. They don't want others to drive in their city but they sure want to keep on driving, whatever they claim.

Also, almost nobody drives into Montreal for shopping anymore. It takes a stupid amount of time and there are better options in the suburbs. Public transit takes an even more stupid amount of time. I use it so I know very well.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I didn’t notice a reduction of huge SUVs and pickups on the roads around. I must assume that gas prices don’t bother Canadians at all. Have you noticed any changes to the traffic?
A month ago, I went on a 3 hour drive. It might be my imagination or just the time of day but I had the impression that there were far fewer people speeding past 120 km/h. Almost none. Usually, there are many who zoom by, often in large vehicles.

·
Registered
672 Posts
No value in arguing anything differently. Shall we continue to derail this thread?
Now now, we haven't even begun on whether or not the tools that need to be hauled would fit in the back of a Yaris. Given that I've seen a guy collect my 60 gallon water heater with his honda fit, I vote yes. I've also seen him collect a washing machine. People's "needs" are often largely inflated ( <-- see there, we're on topic ) by marketing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts