Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First, let's get the facts. We read the news saying there are new surges without giving some analysis.

Here's my sources for the facts I'm about to talk : United States Coronavirus: 2,425,855 Cases and 123,520 Deaths - Worldometer and IHME | COVID-19 Projections
I'll use the 7-day moving average and daily new cases. I'm rounding all values.

Infections in the US : United States Coronavirus: 2,425,855 Cases and 123,520 Deaths - Worldometer
  • Quick summary : Cases peaked, then decelerated and now accelerated back in the last two weeks
  • Daily new cases were more than 1 000 starting March 18
  • Daily new cases peaked at 32 000 on April 10 (after increasing about +1 500 each day during about 20 days)
  • Daily new cases steadily decelerated to about 21 000 on June 9 (decreasing about -160 each day during about 60 days)
  • Daily new cases accelerated back to 31 000 on June 23 (increasing about +700 each day during about 15 days)
  • Yes, US did a good job from April to the beginning of June
  • Yes, US lost control in June
Infections in California : California Coronavirus: 190,848 Cases and 5,635 Deaths (COVID-19 ) - Worldometer
  • Quick summary : Cases were always accelerating and accelerated even more in the last 3 days
  • Daily new cases were steady to about 1 200 during the first 3 weeks of April (steady during about 20 days)
  • Daily new cases kept increasing from 1 400 on April 21 to 3 500 on June 20 (increasing about +35 each day during about 60 days)
  • Daily new cases accelerated to more than 4 500 on June 23 (increasing about +350 each day during about 3 days)
  • No, California was never under control
  • Yes, cases accelerated in the last 3 days
Infections in Texas : Texas Coronavirus: 125,015 Cases and 2,251 Deaths (COVID-19 ) - Worldometer
  • Quick summary : New cases were kept steady, then increased in June and even more in the last week
  • Daily new cases were ranging from 800 to 1 200 from April 10 to May 31 (steady during about 50 days)
  • Daily new cases increased from 1 200 on May 31 to 2 000 on June 15 (increasing about +50 each day during about 15 days)
  • Daily new cases accelerated from 2 000 on June 15 to 4 200 on June 23 (increasing about +275 each day during about 8 days)
  • Yes, Texas was under control until June
  • Yes, Texas starting losing control in June
  • Yes, cases are accelerating in the last two weeks
Infections in Arizona : Arizona Coronavirus: 58,179 Cases and 1,384 Deaths (COVID-19 ) - Worldometer
  • Quick summary : Cases were always accelerating slowly, then accelerated even more in June and in the last week
  • Daily new cases were kept below 400 until May 29, but increasing (increasing about +5 each day during about 80 days)
  • Daily new cases increased from 400 on May 29 to 1 300 on June 15 (increasing about +55 each day during about 15 days)
  • Daily new cases accelerated from 1 300 on June 15 to 2 700 on June 23 (increasing about +175 each day during about 8 days)
  • No, Arizona was never not fully under control
  • Yes, Arizona lost control in June
  • Yes, cases are accelerating in the last two weeks
Infections in Florida : Florida Coronavirus: 103,503 Cases and 3,240 Deaths (COVID-19 ) - Worldometer
  • Quick summary : Cases peaked, then decelerated and now accelerated back during June
  • Daily new cases peaked at 1 100 on April 7 (after increasing about +65 each day during about 20 days)
  • Daily new cases steadily decreased to about 600 on May 1 (decreasing about -20 each day during about 25 days)
  • Daily new cases were ranging from 600 to 750 from May 1 to June 1 (steady during about 30 days)
  • Daily new cases increased from 725 on June 1 to 3 300 on June 23 (increasing about +110 each day during about 20 days)
  • Yes, Florida was doing a good job until May
  • Florida showed signs of weakness in May
  • Yes, Florida cases are accelerating in June
Now please wait! Is it because there are more tests? IHME | COVID-19 Projections
  • On April 1, there were about 120 000 tests that day for about 30 000 cases, which is 1 case per 4 tests, or 25%
  • On June 1, there were about 420 000 tests that day for about 20 000 cases, which 1 case per 21 tests, or 5%
  • More tests simply means better statistics to help deciding on how to act, it's a clearer view on the true number of cases
  • Since they were always doing more tests and yet finding less cases until recently, yes, daily cases increased recently
  • Many social distancing measures were removed around mid-May, which may explain why daily cases increased
US presidential elections will be on November 3, in 4 months. Economy must stay open.
People are not respecting social distancing and hygiene measures, they don't want to wear masks, stay 2 meters of each other and wash their hands for 20 seconds 10 times a day. People are not adapting, they are tired of that extra effort which is asked to them.

What will US do? What an interesting year!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I fail to see any point in your post at all. Who cares what Trump will do.
Ok, well then what are you doing with your investments at the current moment knowing that US economy should be kept open but cases are accelerating again.

I say "US economy should be kept open" because that's my personal opinion and I also think that Trump will not close the US economy again because he is 4 months away from the elections.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Ok, well then what are you doing with your investments at the current moment knowing that US economy should be kept open but cases are accelerating again.

I say "US economy should be kept open" because that's my personal opinion and I also think that Trump will not close the US economy again because he is 4 months away from the elections.
So are you now saying that you actually wanted to post about how to manage your investments under the current pandemic? If so, why didn't you just ask that question?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So are you now saying that you actually wanted to post about how to manage your investments under the current pandemic? If so, why didn't you just ask that question?
I don't want advice about managing my investments. I'm curious about how other people sees the current situation. I want a discussion and a share of opinions, that's why I posted a thread.

I want to know what you think should be done. If you were in charge of this pandemic situation, how would you react? Instead of US, take Canada then. Canada's daily cases are decreasing, how would you react to the government's actions if ever the daily cases starts moving up during the next month? Would you want to close the economy? Would you put even more efforts on social distancing measures and trying to raise people awareness about those measures?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's an open discussion where you talk about whatever you want that is related to your reaction to the pandemic situation with the news of new daily increases.

There was nothing to talk about when the new daily cases were steady or decreasing. People were relieved and hopeful.

But now there are countries (US for instance) where new daily cases are starting to increase again. It's a new phase of how we are trying to manage the pandemic. There are new decisions to take in a new context.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Infections surges sure need to be decreased. Less dense crowds need to be created. Staying 2 meters away from each other is a good idea. The pandemic is appearing to shift from large urban centres like New York City and Chicago toward smaller, rural areas. States that have loosened virus restrictions have certainly seen resurgences in cases. Good luck with decreasing virus cases in North America.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Every large city with a subway system being used to transport a successful economy around a city is bankrupt.
Los Angeles subways are operating at 30 percent capacity.
Nobody wants to "Squeeze" into a subway car.

The status quo (PayCheck Protection and Government Operations) is costing a minimum of 2 trillion dollars per month.

There is no cure. No Herd Immunity.
Best case scenario (In North America) is that they create a vaccine in 12 months and then another 12 months to organize and stick a needle in 400 million human armpits.

Best case scenario is 2 years and printing another 25 Trillion dollars.

At the moment the U.S. Federal Deficit is 25 Trillion dollars.
It took 40 years to accumulate the 25T debt and now it will double within 2 years.

If You Were To Count To 1 Trillion It Would Take You 31,709.79 years.:)

China and Russia may create a gold backed currency.

50 million unemployed in America.

There are 50 million Americans who once enjoyed the American Dream and now to have lost it.
They are angry, resentful and are acting out against authority.

Martial Law needs to be introduced.
Trump can not implement curfews because half the country would laugh and refuse to obey.
Trump only has 45% support.
The new president elected in November must have close to 60 percent support in order to have the military on the streets.
The new president needs to prance the world stage with Martial Law being imposed upon American streets and he can only do this if he can claim legitimacy with a very large majority of votes cast.
It will be said that the newly elected president has the mandate to "Govern".
The media is manufacturing the voter consent for this right now.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
I predict that the day after the election Covid disappears from the news. It won't get mentioned again and will be forgotten. But between now and then will be used to scare voters away from the polls.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I predict that the day after the election Covid disappears from the news.
Iff a vaccine turns up by Christmas, people will say that it was a plot.
People will claim that they had the vaccine sitting on a shelf somewhere.

Some people see value in a U.S. Greenback even though they are printing trillions of dollars and loaning it at Zero Percent Interest. How can there be any value when it is being given away free?

Must be the same kind of trust that is needed to believe that the virus is real.

Could be tense:)

·
Registered
12,414 Posts
Scaring voters away from the polls is a tactic that favours GOP (turnout is bad for republicans). Not sure I follow the conspiracy theory.

You think the rest of the world is hiding under their bed just because orange man bad?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Trump claims that he wants to cut back on test/trace.

What he really is saying is that he wants the testing to be carried out by private firms snd thus the methods and the data collection is not Public Knowlege and not subject to FOIA.

He even cancelled FEMA testing sites today.

With private control of the testing/tracing regimes, we will be subject to mulitiple testing methods and which will never be reconciled. No central government data dump with particulars of differing methods.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Scaring voters away from the polls is a tactic that favours GOP (turnout is bad for republicans). Not sure I follow the conspiracy theory.

You think the rest of the world is hiding under their bed just because orange man bad?
Trump Derangement Syndrome is real, you see it on the news every day.

·
Registered
12,414 Posts
TDS meaning deranged Trump supporters that will defend any crazy thing he says or does, then defend the opposite next week when he contradicts himself? You're quite right.

·
Registered
16,685 Posts
The US now has 124K deaths, which is about 41X the casualties of the 9/11 terrorist attack.

Remember how everyone lost their minds over terrorism? How it was super scary? This is forty one 9-11's. It's really bad.

·
Registered
795 Posts
The US now has 124K deaths, which is about 41X the casualties of the 9/11 terrorist attack.

Remember how everyone lost their minds over terrorism? How it was super scary? This is forty one 9-11's. It's really bad.
The US is a long way from getting this under control. Record number of cases per day are popping up in states. The country itself almost hit a new record daily total recently. It’s now the southern states turn. They learned nothing from the north eastern States.

·
Registered
16,685 Posts
The US is a long way from getting this under control. Record number of cases per day are popping up in states. The country itself almost hit a new record daily total recently. It’s now the southern states turn. They learned nothing from the north eastern States.
I think the writing is on the wall. We've got to start preparing in Canada to get hit again. There is no way there can be such major spread neighbouring us, without us being affected.

Irresponsible behaviour in parts of the US is putting our lives in danger.

·
Registered
12,414 Posts
Yes, I think even with only essential travel crossing the border, you would expect COVID to leak over the border through infected truck drivers. Especially as services (restaurants, hotels, etc.) are opening in Canada.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Irresponsible behaviour in parts of the US is putting our lives in danger.
Absolutely agree What is happening in the US does effect us

Seeding the nursing homes with Covid,

quarantine the healthy,

bogus testing,

killing people with ventilators,

manipulation of death certificates to produce more deaths from Covid

Passing new laws so big pharma can not be held accountable for dangerous Covid vaccines, real goal reduce the population.

Media intentionally trying to scare people to death so they stay in homes

Contact tracing.

The list goes on & on.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I doubt Trump will be willing to shut down the economy again. He has support among republicans and his base who will vote for him no matter what.

Basically, the US and the rest of the world will have to live through it. It is survival of the fittest, unfortunately.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts