Canadian Money Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

Registered
the old joke.....about the 4-engine plane...
1 engine fails, pilot announces all ok , just going to delay the flight an hour or so...
#2 fails....same annoucement, 2 hour delay
yup #3 goes ....3 hours late..
dotnet-nerd (on the flight), to his wife: "Jeez, if that 4th engine goes, we're gonna be up here all night!"
....馃槇groan...

Registered
As the others have said, the pilots did a great job.
It is something we train for in every trip to the simulator.
Personally in my 35 years of flying I only had to shut an engine down once, Lockheed L1011.

Registered

Registered
i wonder if the passengers will get credit card refunds...or just TRAVEL BANK CREDITS!!!
... good question ... but then aren't they're grounding the 777s after this incident? Hopefully those travel vouchers have no expiry date.

Registered
I'm reading a story quoting early info from NTSB

There was metal fatigue. One of the fan blades broke off and lodged itself into the armored ring around the engine, which is meant to contain damaged parts from flying out. So this intensely energetic shrapnel was contained and stopped.

That's lucky because a broken fan blade could cause other severe damage, even puncture the aircraft body. This happened on a Southwest flight a few years ago where the fan blade (or maybe other debris) opened a hole in the plane and killed a passenger.

In this case the engine debris only caused minimal damage to the rest of the aircraft. Based on my amateur understanding of this description, it sounds like the explosive failure of the fan blade was mostly stopped by the engine's design, and dissipated... causing various other damage, but less severe than it could have been.

Registered
Boeing 777 makes emergency landing in Moscow with engine trouble. No word on what kind of engines it has

21 - 40 of 40 Posts