Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone mentioned that M & A activity has been on the rise and that a lot of public companies are being taken private to protect a lot of the big money players. I was not sure if that was the case. I was aware of a couple of announcements this year of companies being sold and going private.

Interestingly, a quick search turned up this link regarding M&A activity in 2021 and forecasts for 2022. I would have thought M&A would be lower with the market at/near all time highs and that we would see cash rich companies starting to make purchases. The M&A does not mean that public companies are going private but I find it interesting just the same.

Another observation is that my own portfolio is starting to experience a lot of spinoffs. I have not been investing as long as others but I would guess that companies go through periods of consolidation and then spin out pieces into other corps all the time to enhance returns as well as corporate profits and prop up their ratings. I apologize for the unorganized post but was curious as to what others observations and thought were.

Global M&A Industry Trends - 2022 (pwc.com)

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
BAM is doing something of a spin off.
It has so many moving parts behind the corporate curtain it would have been more aptly called Wiz of Oz Holdings.

Company I work for, WSP, just floated more shares to gobble up another company to get bigger.
Now I am part of a team that numbers to about 70K design professionals spread out in most parts of the globe.

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
BAM is doing something of a spin off.
It has so many moving parts behind the corporate curtain it would have been more aptly called Wiz of Oz Holdings.
I don't think it is as visible as a mere curtain.
With PVF and such it gets even MORE confusing.

That being said the business model makes a lot of sense, and I've done well with my Brookfield holdings.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have held various Brookfield entities, but never BAM, over the years the company has done a great job of executing. I agree that sorting out the various divisions is a lot of work. Currently, I only own Brookfield Infrastructure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts