Canadian Money Forum banner

101 - 120 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
True, banks may cut dividend payments if things deteriorate deeper and longer than the present. ...
but have a look at the past 100 years tho. None of the big 5 have cut dividends that I'm aware of at least.
If they do cut them, in say in late 2020, or in 2021, then I'll eat ham sandwiches until resume.
The last cut I could track down (and I could be wrong) seems to be BNS in the early 40's. Outside the big 5, National Bank seems to have cut in the early 90's.

·
Registered
16,324 Posts
GM suspends dividends and buybacks.
A major Australian bank, NAB, also reduced their dividend and is issuing a whole bunch of new equity, diluting existing equity holders.

Perhaps people are right that the Canadian banks will never cut their dividends, but you can be sure they will issue more equity if they need to strengthen their capital positions. Of course, ironically, those same banks could suspend their dividends and then not have to issue equity.

If the banks have deterioration in their loan books, you'll feel it one way or another. Perhaps investors will celebrate the dividend remaining intact while the share price gets hammered on equity issuance.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Shell just cut its dividend for the first time since WWII. First dividend cut in 75 years.

Shell cuts dividend for first time since 1945 amid oil price collapse
I am/am not surprised by this announcement. It is puzzling to me that the market rallied so quickly as cut after cut had been announced. It's as though we foresee the cuts and carry on believing the markets can't and won't fail due to government stimulus. Time and again I said I would not purchase an oil company but had Shell and Chevron on my watch list. Chevron announced an increase in January but I am not sure they may reverse course with future announcements.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Accuracy of guidance depends on the company...Trans Canada I tend to believe...Trans Alta...well...lol

·
Registered
670 Posts
sleep country suspending dividends.

101 - 120 of 131 Posts