Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
^ That link could be useful for would-be travellers but doesn't give confidence that 1. contact-travelling would be still Covid-safe, and 2. at those rates, the earliest "safe (aka following government health guidelines)" travelling I'm estimating it to be year 2022 ... likely amidst an endemic then too.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
It is not good given that the first jabs are the easiest to organize and execute. Hospitals, health care facilities, and care homes. Everyone in one place, no herding cats. Just line 'em up and jab them.

·
Registered
437 Posts
It is not good given that the first jabs are the easiest to organize and execute. Hospitals, health care facilities, and care homes. Everyone in one place, no herding cats. Just line 'em up and jab them.
I'm not so sure about that part. Moving vaccine and staff around multiple facilities sounds a lot less efficient than opening a large vaccination center and asking everyone to go there.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Don't worry. It was only early December or late November, we were worried about being at the bottom of the list of countries to receive shipments from Pfizer and Moderna.

And remember back in April or May when we were at risk of running out of medical masks?

I suppose it'll only be a matter of time when Canada will be criticized for not vaccinating the anti-vaxxers fast enough.

·
Registered
14,014 Posts
The wife's second day after her Pfizer vaccination. No problems at all so far. The clinic is open today (New Years Day) from 8 am to 8 pm.

Healthcare workers are being vaccinated first by appointment only. They have to provide an accompanying letter of proof of employment.

They are going to give the Moderna vaccine to resdients in LTA and retirement homes for lack of freezing capacity to transport the Pfizer vaccine.

Then it will be older adults and people at risk sometime next year. They estimate July - September before most people are vaccinated.

·
Registered
10,881 Posts
Looks like Canada is falling behind in early days. Israel already at 7% immunized ...
A smaller country with fewer people being ahead of Canada is all that surprising?

I think I'll need more info before I'll get all that worked up about it.

Cheers

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
The federal & provincial governments had only had 9 months to organize the vaccine effort...if we ran our businesses like that we'd be broke. Maybe time to buy some Park Lawn shares.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
The federal & provincial governments had only had 9 months to organize the vaccine effort...if we ran our businesses like that we'd be broke. Maybe time to buy some Park Lawn shares.
Personally, I would give them a little more slack then that. No one believed we would have any vaccine by December of 2020. In the beginning we were not even certain we could develop a vaccine for Covid at all.

Yes. They are making quite a few mistakes but when it comes to a mistake I usually just ask the question "do they know they made a mistake"? If the answer is yes, you will find that the number of mistakes going forward is usually a lot less then when they assume everything is someone else's fault. So far, most seem to be owning up to ones in question, so I am still fairly optimistic that we will all get vaccinated about as quickly as it can be done, with safety and the organization that it requires.

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
No one believed we would have any vaccine by December of 2020. In the beginning we were not even certain we could develop a vaccine for Covid at all.
Not quite. Donald Trump has been saying since the fall that a Covid vaccine would be ready by the end of the year. Of course the corporate media said he was nuts, lying, it was impossible to have a vaccine ready that quickly etc. Then right after the election the drug companies came out with 3 or 4 of them. In other words Trump was right again.

·
Super Moderator
3,627 Posts
Not quite. Donald Trump has been saying since the fall that a Covid vaccine would be ready by the end of the year. Of course the corporate media said he was nuts, lying, it was impossible to have a vaccine ready that quickly etc. Then right after the election the drug companies came out with 3 or 4 of them. In other words Trump was right again.
Since many vaccines were in their phase 3 trials in the fall I don't think it was stretch to guess some would be ready by year end.

·
Registered
13,240 Posts
He was wrong about winning the election!

Trump also predicted that the epidemic was going to be done by Easter. You can't cherry pick his predictions and call him a genius. He wished that there would be a vaccine by EOY, and promised it in a hope to save his presidency/justify failing to contain the virus. But he could not have known with any certainty. And either way, the existence of a vaccine does not stop the pandemic until a critical mass are vaccinated, which will take the better part of a year.

·
Registered
167 Posts
He was wrong about winning the election!

Trump also predicted that the epidemic was going to be done by Easter. You can't cherry pick his predictions and call him a genius. He wished that there would be a vaccine by EOY, and promised it in a hope to save his presidency/justify failing to contain the virus. But he could not have known with any certainty. And either way, the existence of a vaccine does not stop the pandemic until a critical mass are vaccinated, which will take the better part of a year.
I thought he said there'd be a vaccine in time for the election.

·
Registered
14,014 Posts
In our city of 500,000 plus all the surrounding areas, we have one vaccination center located at a field hospital setup. It is by appointment only.

They have a grand total of 12 vaccination booths, and have vaccinated about 2700 people in 12 days. That is a "single dose" of the Pfizer vaccine.

They are "ramping up" to a whopping 20 vaccination booths to handle the "second dose" shot and give a 1st shot to more people.

So far, only some LTC employees have been vaccinated. NO staff in emergency rooms, ICU units, COVID patient floors, have been vaccinated yet.

Given the Pfizer requires 2 vaccinations.......we actually have 0% fully vaccinated people.

Oddly enough.....the travel immunization clinics are open and taking appointments.

I guess they couldn't switch over to a COVID vaccine clinic instead, because you know......people gotta vacation (especially politicians).

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
^ @sags the reason they can’t switch travel vaccination clinics to Covid clinics is the Pfizer vaccine requires extremely cold storage that very few facilities have. In my province, they can only do this near the hospitals or areas that have the freezers to keep the vaccine at -80. They are saving the Mondera vaccine for the LTC.

This is a marathon not a sprint.

Some places choose to vaccinate as many people up front with only one dose and hope there are no problems in administering the second dose in terms of logistics or supply. Other provinces choose a more conservative approach and administered only enough vaccines that would cover both shots. Both approaches have been equally criticized.

There seems to be no pleasing anyone. The more people focus on the negative and criticize the more of a negative impact it has on people. We are in a pretty good scenario in Canada. There are many countries that dont have the infrastructure or $ to vaccinate to the scale we do.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts