Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m hoping you guys might be able to steer me in the right direction. I created a sticker design and printed some out and now I have a few retail shops that want to purchase a few to sell. We’re talking like 20 to 40 stickers that retail at like 5 bucks a piece. It’s nothing lucrative but more to just make some extra cash. One retailer is asking for an invoice # and I’m not sure where to go from here. DO I need a business number now? SHould I apply for a business number or HST number? Like I said I’m not making big money, maybe less than a 1000 bucks for the year, but am not sure how to move forward with this and want to make sure I do this the legit way.

Thanks for any help!
Joe

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
For the limited "business" of which you speak, I would say you need nothing. As I recall, if you expect sales in excess of $30,000 a year, you need to charge GST. Just do up a simple invoice and leave it at that. Report the net income on your return next year as "Other Income".

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Best way to approach this is like a t shirt business I know. Each month, the guy designs a shirt and posts it on his website where he takes orders for it. Then he knows exactly how many and what sizes to produce and does so. He was paid in advance, has no inventory and creates repeat business. An excellent model. Also, because there is a new design each month, he gets repeat business.

as for your questions, as stated it’s just a personal business, add income and expenses to your per tax return. You don’t need, or want a get number until you start making enough to need it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stupid question, but am I still charging HST for the stickers? I would be selling them for 3 bucks, do I add HST to this price? I really appreciate the help guys.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Also, if it's a good design, just throw it up on Redbubble.
If it sells, they'll send you a few dollars by paypal.

It might not be the "best" service, but you don't do any fufilment work.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Keep track of your income and expenses (and keep receipts), you will need them when you do your taxes.

At tax time, you'll fill out the self-employed section of the tax return, and your business name will just be your own name.

For invoicing, just find an invoice template on the web and fill that out for customers that want an invoice. No need to charge tax until your revenues are more than 30k/year as mentioned above.

·
Registered
433 Posts
This discussion reminds me of a bright idea I once had.

Edward Snowden and the NSA leak.

After investing 25 hundred bucks my idea was trashed as soon as Snowden got political asylum in Russia.

A Song For Edward Snowden
When the Edward Story broke within the media in early June, my twin brother and I (Dot and Calm) instantly recalled a tune by Sting-Police, and rhymed "Every Call You Make". So, we altered the lyrics a bit and the tune was Produced/Arranged/Distributed and website up and running, within a mere 32 days and at an approximate cost of 25 hundred dollars, at Toronto, Ontario.
July 27, 2013
(YouTube Video)

·
Registered
59 Posts
You should look into companies that offer "print on demand" services and ideally go with one that handles logistics too. You may be able to find one that does stickers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts