Canadian Money Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8,389 Posts
We need an HGTV channel with some cool dudes to make it more popular.
Nobody watches TV anymore. Except for old people who already bought their house for some reason

Maybe it will trend on TikTok or youtube or whatever else kids use these days. Money topics became popular now, just need better content creators

I brought it up to young colleagues planning to build. Problem is houses are already barely affordable as is

Reactions: prisoner24601

·
Administrator
5,749 Posts
To your point about science needing to evolve. The building science, construction details and qualified products are out there. The building codes need to improve though for new builds and until that happens this will remain a niche technology for enthusiasts. The cost added to a new home build is reasonable about 10% overall, but it's a struggle to find trained builders and tradespeople who are invested in efficiency. But they are out there for sure.
I'm surprised on how little information there is available to the general public on building science, especially with all the "green" push nowadays. It seems to be very slow moving for both new builds and old home upgrades.

The amount of tech that controls a house these days is tiny and I think big gains could be had in this area if the methods and data was widely available.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Within the trades there is growing knowledge and support of greener initiatives. Unfortunately, most home owners could care less. Aesthetics trumps practicality. Some gains will be made just through advances in tech like there has always been. I know several people with new systems and programmable smart thermostats that don't change the environment while they are away. More so on the heating side than the cooling side. Gone to work all day why would I lower the thermostat a few degrees(or more) and then bring the temp back up so it is a nice temp when you arrive home. This is foolish and wasteful even from a financial standpoint. Mind you I grew up in a house where we lowered the temp when we left and had to wait for it to warm up when we got home. Yes I was chastised for leaving the lights on when leaving the room. :p

·
Administrator
5,749 Posts
Yes I was chastised for leaving the lights on when leaving the room. :p
That brings back fond memories. :ROFLMAO:

I know several people with new systems and programmable smart thermostats that don't change the environment while they are away
Yup, I was just dropping stuff off at a friends house who is on vacation for week ... A/C still running with nobody home. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,389 Posts
This is foolish and wasteful even from a financial standpoint. Mind you I grew up in a house where we lowered the temp when we left and had to wait for it to warm up when we got home. Yes I was chastised for leaving the lights on when leaving the room. :p
I grew up with wood heat. If nobody was home to maintain the fire then electric would kick on only to keep the pipes from freezing.

I love smart thermostats. House is pre-cooled/heated for when I get home. I also get amazon gift cards from the electric provider if I let them pre-cool the house before rush hours.

Makes no difference to me as the house stays cool for the period because they pre-cool it a few extra degrees. Also pre-cools based on weather/sun

Reactions: londoncalling

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I grew up with wood heat. If nobody was home to maintain the fire then electric would kick on only to keep the pipes from freezing.

I love smart thermostats. House is pre-cooled/heated for when I get home. I also get amazon gift cards from the electric provider if I let them pre-cool the house before rush hours.

Makes no difference to me as the house stays cool for the period because they pre-cool it a few extra degrees. Also pre-cools based on weather/sun
wife grew up with wood heat as well with electric heat back up same as you. Now the back up is nat gas but wood is still the primary source.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
To your point about science needing to evolve. The building science, construction details and qualified products are out there. The building codes need to improve though for new builds and until that happens this will remain a niche technology for enthusiasts. The cost added to a new home build is reasonable about 10% overall, but it's a struggle to find trained builders and tradespeople who are invested in efficiency. But they are out there for sure.
The science is there, the general public needs to evolve. Go to any show home office and all the displays are counter, flooring, and cabinet options. People will pay extra for nice marble but not for increased insulation. Most people have no interest in the furnace, AC, or HRV beyond knowing that the house they buy comes with them.

I also know a couple that bought a $600k house and lot and didn't realize until they moved in that the house was orientated such that their future back yard deck and patio would be in shade most of the day. I'm not kidding. But his wife sure knew everything about the marble counters.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Unfortunately, it seems like a lot of this has to be integrated into the building code. Consumers just don't understand or appreciate the fine details.
Exactly, it's like fuel efficiency on new cars. Most car buyers just want to know the mpg and trust that the technology works and is monitored by the regulators so it does what's on the label. Like cars, home energy efficiency needs mandatory labeling (e.g. Energuide for homes) to ensure home buyers are informed about what they are buying same as a car or refrigerator. This is common practice in Europe.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts