Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
good info simon. thanks!
Not being too scientifically- inclined.....I wonder just how effective these machines are in colder, damp(humid) areas, like here in St. John's, where outside humidity is almost always above 75-80% (a lot of time 100%!) ?
Aren't you continuously just dragging cold, damp outside air into the house.....?
The new ones are designed to use the temperature of the outgoing air to adjust the temperature of the incoming air by running them next to each other. Not sure how effective they are say in a Canadian winter when temperature differences are so extreme.

I think we could improve on this a lot. For example having the incoming air run through a line underground would warm/cool the air. For humidity I don't know if they combine those. My HVAC has humidity control using smart thermostats etc. I assume it uses the AC in the summer and adds humidity to try air in the winter

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
this is the one I have

View attachment 23469
Notice how it has that drain hose? That means it impacts humidity somehow

Notice how it has multiple intakes and exhausts? It's running the fresh air next to the old air to warm/cool the fresh air which would also impact humidity with temp change

Again google is your friend. Have you even opened the owner's manual? I owned one of these and it had 3 settings - Off, Normal, Max.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Ask questions in Ontario and you'll likely get many blank stares.

Regardless of climate one system should be developed that can exchange / filter air, recover lost heat and add dehumidification. All while working in harmony with forced air heating and cooling - balance.
What do you expect from a group that rents hot water heaters

I've watched some youtube videos for simple things home builders can do to improve efficiency. A lot of it costs next to nothing but takes the extra time

I realized most things are designed to look appealing and that's it

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Does everyone just turn it on & forget it? any fiddling with it on a day to day basis?
Yes I just turn it on & forget. Unless outside air is too humid or too cold anyways

So basically it's useless for 11 month of year in Newf land? 😂

Actually I find them useful. Just needs more planning like routing the air intake underground imo

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
To your point about science needing to evolve. The building science, construction details and qualified products are out there. The building codes need to improve though for new builds and until that happens this will remain a niche technology for enthusiasts. The cost added to a new home build is reasonable about 10% overall, but it's a struggle to find trained builders and tradespeople who are invested in efficiency. But they are out there for sure.
Yea it's a shame

There's lots of good youtube videos on it and looked like no-brainer stuff to do. The cost would easily pay itself off over the life of the house. It was impressive how much less demand was on the HVAC

For builders who need to compete and sell houses it's just not worth it short term. Reality is consumer decisions are based on superficial things

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
We need an HGTV channel with some cool dudes to make it more popular.
Nobody watches TV anymore. Except for old people who already bought their house for some reason

Maybe it will trend on TikTok or youtube or whatever else kids use these days. Money topics became popular now, just need better content creators

I brought it up to young colleagues planning to build. Problem is houses are already barely affordable as is

Reactions: prisoner24601

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
This is foolish and wasteful even from a financial standpoint. Mind you I grew up in a house where we lowered the temp when we left and had to wait for it to warm up when we got home. Yes I was chastised for leaving the lights on when leaving the room. :p
I grew up with wood heat. If nobody was home to maintain the fire then electric would kick on only to keep the pipes from freezing.

I love smart thermostats. House is pre-cooled/heated for when I get home. I also get amazon gift cards from the electric provider if I let them pre-cool the house before rush hours.

Makes no difference to me as the house stays cool for the period because they pre-cool it a few extra degrees. Also pre-cools based on weather/sun

Reactions: londoncalling
1 - 7 of 7 Posts