Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Informative post @Simon Says. We installed central air and an HRV earlier this summer to our well built but not well sealed mid 1950s home. It is well constructed for its time but the building envelope is not the same as a newer home. The climate I live in is fairly dry and air quality in general is good. I presume our unit will have to work harder to maintain a constant interior environment in comparison to a newer home. Is there anything we should be mindful of in operation or maintenance beyond what you've posted until we replace the windows and add insulation to the attic?

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Within the trades there is growing knowledge and support of greener initiatives. Unfortunately, most home owners could care less. Aesthetics trumps practicality. Some gains will be made just through advances in tech like there has always been. I know several people with new systems and programmable smart thermostats that don't change the environment while they are away. More so on the heating side than the cooling side. Gone to work all day why would I lower the thermostat a few degrees(or more) and then bring the temp back up so it is a nice temp when you arrive home. This is foolish and wasteful even from a financial standpoint. Mind you I grew up in a house where we lowered the temp when we left and had to wait for it to warm up when we got home. Yes I was chastised for leaving the lights on when leaving the room. :p

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I grew up with wood heat. If nobody was home to maintain the fire then electric would kick on only to keep the pipes from freezing.

I love smart thermostats. House is pre-cooled/heated for when I get home. I also get amazon gift cards from the electric provider if I let them pre-cool the house before rush hours.

Makes no difference to me as the house stays cool for the period because they pre-cool it a few extra degrees. Also pre-cools based on weather/sun
wife grew up with wood heat as well with electric heat back up same as you. Now the back up is nat gas but wood is still the primary source.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts