Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Craigslist/Kijiji are fine, but will likely be slower than trader.ca. Depends on your timeframe.

I'd probably post the Geo on the free sites, and the van in the RV autotrader.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have successfully sold two vehicles via craigslist/kijiji in the GTA area, without much hassle (and within 1-2months). There are many other free sites for posting your vehicle up for sale, however IMO I've found Craigslist/Kijiji to be the best.

Rules I use when I post vehicles up for sale.

List condition
List Price (OBO)
List Features that differentiate your vehicle from others. It can be things like, exceptionally taken care of, or certified or new paint, etc.
Always upload pictures (I usually put up 4 different, clean pics) ... when I say clean I mean remove all junk in the vehicle, and wash/polish the car so it looks fabulous (remember first impression counts, especially when you're showing your vehicle to a potential buyer).
Be honest and try to make reasonable arrangements.

Oh, both vehicles I sold were definitely not in hot demand. A '91 Jeep and an '08 RUV.....hmm, now coming to think about it...maybe people snatch them so quickly because my asking price was low. lol.

Hope this helps =)

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a lot for the info - it came quite handy.

More questions:

1) If someone wants to take a vehicle for inspection do you have to go with them? I'm not sure how possible that will be. What if their mechanic is far away?

2) How do you deal with deposits ie someone makes a verbal offer and wants to put a deposit down but can't close the deal for a few days. Do you refuse the deposit? Take the deposit and hope the deal goes through or just explain that you will sell to someone else and refund the deposit if someone comes along with the $$?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks a lot for the info - it came quite handy.

More questions:

1) If someone wants to take a vehicle for inspection do you have to go with them? I'm not sure how possible that will be. What if their mechanic is far away?

2) How do you deal with deposits ie someone makes a verbal offer and wants to put a deposit down but can't close the deal for a few days. Do you refuse the deposit? Take the deposit and hope the deal goes through or just explain that you will sell to someone else and refund the deposit if someone comes along with the $$?
1) I went with them. I sold one of my vehicle "as-is" before...uncertified. If they want to do it, let them do it and I would go with them. This stuff is factor into my selling price already. lol.

2) Whenever I make big sales, if I trust the person, he/she has shown persistence and great communication/effort, it's fine I don't need a deposit. However in other times, I use the deposit to sorta secure the transaction. Make sure you let them know that you are giving them X days to confirm the deal otherwise you will sell it to others who are interested.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I agree with Kinny. I had someone sign an acknowledgement that they were buying the car "as is, where is" condition and adjusted the price accordingly.

It is slightly off topic but if you take your car into the dealer for certification, its almost like handing them a blank cheque. My friend took his car in for certification and all of a sudden, he had to pay for this and that before they would certify his car (I think they nitpicked about a light bulb not being 100%). At least if the purchaser takes the car in, the dealer/mechanic knows they may have a long-term customer if they treat them right.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I hear insurance companies are motivated buyers of vehicles that have been abandoned in vacant lots and set ablaze.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi there, i have same problem, me and my husband are trying to sell our car, we tried everything including trader, craigs and kijiji with no luck so far. Our problem is that we don't like stranger calling and coming in our house, anyway mu hubby called a private wholesaler today http://sellmycar.ca and we are waiting if they give an reasonable offer to us. I am crossing my finger :), i will let you know how it goes...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sold...I'm so happy I got rid of it, I didn't get full retail for it but hey... my car wasn't that good, thanks for your help, this forum is great.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Guru..don't forget to file off the serial number :D
seriously tho...
we found a busy street where we could park the car without it being towed & we put a big sign in it "For Sale" etc, and had many people call.

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
The best way to get noticed is to throw up an Ad on Kijiji with a link to a YouTube video. In the YouTube video, do a walk around of the car and start the engine.

And the only way to sell a car, IMO, is "As-Is".

I don't deal with people and their mechanics. If you want it, buy it. I don't have time to dick around. People will take it to the mechanics, waste your time and gas, and then say they don't want it anymore or tell you the mechanic says it is garbage and worth $2000 less. Forget it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
confused on buying 'as is'

if selling as is, how does the buyer take the car away? once it is sold, the seller would remove the license plates. the buyer has to bring it to get safety tested and emissions tested in order to register it at the ministry.

i'm currently looking at buying a used car and trying to figure this part out.

i've purchased a used car once before, but it had all the paperwork done and the seller met me at the ministry office where we completed everything and i could just drive it away with new plates.

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
Whitecar,

When I bought my truck, I purchased it from some guy in Toronto. I had him drive the truck to Mississauga to my mechanics shop, where he took the plates off. I then drove him back to Toronto using my other car. He gave me the keys and I gave him the cash.

Done deal.

See if the seller will drive it to the shop and then drive the seller back to his house/wherever. Its the easiest way.

You need a second car, though, obviously. So if you don't have one, see if one of your friends will allow you to borrow theirs.

·
Registered
117 Posts
You take your signed-over ownership to the Ministry (in Ontario), and they give you a 10 day temp permit. You stick in on dash and you're good to drive the vehicle. You'll need to get insurance sorted out first.

I always get the insurance, but in past, I've often skipped the permit and just stuck my plates on the new car and drove it to mechanic. It's not the proper way, but the car is owned by me, and insured, and odds of being caught are very slim.

·
Registered
3 Posts
thanks

thanks for the info.

i think i'm one of those lazy types, and will stick with looking for used cars that are etested and safety certified, where the seller will get the UVIP and meet me at a MTO office. i don't mind paying a bit more for less hassle.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Having sold a car back in the fall, here's what I found from my experience.

In Ontario, in order to transfer ownership to a non-relative, you need the UVIP, Safety Certificate, and Emissions test. As a seller, you don't need any of these, but from a buyer's perspective, you need them to take ownership. So having these done before sale made the vehicle more attractive to buyers.

I posted on Kijiji, Craigslist, Autotrader abd Wheels. I got traffic from the first three. Autotrader or Wheels limited the number of words (pretty sure it was Wheels.) Autotrader required me to call in to verify my posting, but it was a way for them to try and upsell me to a paid service, which I declined.

I was honest with everyone who came. There were defects (leaking oil, etc), but I was upfront about them all. They all test drove it.

I never had a request for me to bring the car to a mechanic, but several people wanted to return with their mechanic. (I sold it before they could return.)

I had a good relationship with my mechanic and he helped me price it. I also researched the above sites to make sure it was priced competitively. I new if I held out I could get what I wanted, but I was willing to go a few hundred less to sell quickly.

I had 1996 Civic, about 240k. I was the sole owner and had most of the service records going back to the purchase receipt. These are generally good sellers, so the brand helped, and the car was well maintained. I posted on a Wednesday. I had a dozen or so emails in a few days and it sold on the weekend.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts