Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been procrastinating for years with as many excuses as I can think of.

I have a real estate overseas (not in USA). Sure, the lawyer can cover all the necessary issues with respect to what I own (assuming I do not die broke) here, but I do not know how the foreign property is taken care of. Do I need another lawyer in the country where I own the property to prepare a separate will just to address that particular property?

·
Banned
104 Posts
It depends on the laws of the country in which the land is located. You definitely need a proper will done up, to save your beneficiaries from dealing with problems and lengthy probate procedures (in both jurisdictions) down the road.

This issue is fairly common, though, so I would suggest discussing it with your Canadian lawyer first before taking any steps with a lawyer in the other country.

Your lawyer may consult with a lawyer from that country themselves, to make sure that your will (or a separate will, if necessary) is also valid under the laws of that land. Or they may arrange a referral for you to retain a lawyer from that country separately. Again, it would really depend on the country.

That's all I know without doing research, so I hope that helps and good luck!

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
i'm not at all sure about this newish business of "two wills," one being for assets situated in canada & the other being for offshore ie out-of-country assets.

isn't the estate of a lately-departed canadian supposed to include a complete inventory of all his or her assets, wheresoever situate, at the time of death?

i imagine that a useful disposition of a foreign real estate holding might be along the lines of a usufruct. ie give the property to its eventual heir during one's lifetime, with a usufruct setup so that the donor gets to enjoy the use of the property for as long as he shall want or live.

EDIT: i did skim through the lycos link re the creation of multiple wills in order to avoid probate (two wills? three wills? even more wills?) & noticed that the author isn't a lawyer, he's an MBA doing estate planning.

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
Well the main thrust was for Corporate holdings vs personal and avoiding probate on the former. But my CPA friend said that multiple wills are accepted in BC and Ontario. I would think it should be reserved for special situations where the extra costs are justified. Avoiding probate on foreign holdings might be enough.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts