Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If one were to receive a sizeable sum as inheritance, how would people suggest it can be used to kickstart a property portfolio for someone inexperienced in property? Tricky part is I live in Squamish - where property is really expensive. Essentially it is enough as a deposit for two/three smaller properties, a large one, or a large and small, such as:

Option 1:
Use the deposit on one large property in the nicest part of town and reduce the mortgage on this. Live in it but gain additional income from basement suite rental and airbnb of a tiny house asset, renovate, and use the capital gains and eventually add rental properties to portfolio.

Option 2:
Buy a worse property and have smaller mortgage, renovate, rent it out and buy another one, continue until I can afford the place of my dreams (house, acreage)

Option 3:
Split the deposit unfront across 2 properties. Tricky thing is in Squamish it might be slightly negatively geared, unless I find a rental in other parts of BC - but I'm not confident with other markets.

Other?

THANK YOU in advance!!

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
If the sizable inheritance was built through investing. Maybe just copy what the decease was doing if it fits your personality. They had to be doing something right :)

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
Owning property in a portfolio is ll about leverage and cash flow. Keep investment properties separate from homes, they aren’t the same. I wouldn’t want tenants to have access to my house, stuff or family.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
I'd say first, realize that property does not consist only of houses. You can invest in bare land, commercial or industrial properties just as easily as houses. Don't make the ASSUMPTION that you have to invest in houses, broaden your perspective.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts