Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just so you know, my lawyer doesn’t allow me to invest in individual commodities anymore. I only buy indexes now. I buy the Rogers Commodity Index, or the Rogers Agricultural Index or the Energy Index, depending on how I feel when I want to buy something. They’re based on futures. As I’m sure you know, investing in indexes outperforms active management 75 to 80 percent of the time year after year.
Does anyone know how Canadians can buy these? Are they worth it?

·
Registered
12,742 Posts
Passive index investing in commodities doesn't necessarily make sense. You're better off following trends, as the real returns on commodities hasn't been great over the long haul, but there have been periods of up trends punctuated by collapses, like we saw in 2008. If you can participate in the up trends but pass on the down trends, you can make a decent return.

Some vehicles you can look at are

GSG
DBC
DJC

Please carefully read the prospectus and actually understand how these work before investing. These don't directly own commodities, but speculate on commodity futures and other derivatives.

GLD, on the other hand, is backed by physical gold and is a very economical way to invest in gold, as the cost of insurance, etc. is included. I'd say the same point about investing in trends applies to gold. It just happens that gold has been trending up for the better part of a decade. If it does make a significant reversal, I wouldn't ride it all the way down to $400.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts