Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Peeps,
Greetings of the day,
What are the qualities must have in a real estate agent? Or if you are looking for a real estate agent in your area then how you will check that it will save your time, money and energy to complete your property deal?
Please share some of your experiences!
Have a great day :)

-Robs

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just make sure the person you hire is experienced with the type of investments you are looking for. Typically a resi agent is great at selling a sfh and talking about how nice the carpets are but they can't analyze a deal and screen them for you. If you want to buy multis find out who sells the multis in your area. If you want to flip properties, find one that works with flippers and can ballpark a renovation project before bringing you to see the property so you aren't wasting your time. There are plenty of agents out there that want a buyer to work with just be careful they don't oversell themselves.

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
The best real estate agent I've had is a buddy of mine, who doesn't want to be a real estate agent.

The rest of them have been fairly good at helping, until you find something you like or are interested in...

At that point, they want to get paid, so they tend to do everything they can to get you to buy the place, so they can't get their commissions. It is not in their best interest for you to get the best deal, it is in their best interest for you to buy a place so they get paid. Some have even turned on me in the past and put a lot of pressure on me to sign...

My buddy, however, he wants to do something else, and doesn't really need the money...plus, I've taught him all about investment properties which, as was pointed out above, is a different field. He doesn't sell investments to anyone else, since we don't find many, and I've helped him buy his own properties.

I have other investors where they identified properties and later found out their own realtor bought the place out from under them because it was such a good deal.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Honesty; a genuine person who is open and above board with every correspondence. Someone who is simply all about money isn't going to work for me. It's about integrity- these are people's homes.

·
Registered
871 Posts
As a buyer;

-Has you as their best interest (honesty, integrity, etc)
-Knows the area well
-Knows their prices well
-Can negotiate like a pitbull
-Will show you everything they are not supposed to
-Keeps you updated on listings that have yet to hit MLS
-Found via a good recommendation

Everything else is not a requirement of a good agent.

·
Registered
586 Posts
IMO, if you are paying full price for a realtor in 2015, you had better be getting FULL service. If you're selling they should be able to come in and give you detailed advice on exactly what to do to maximize the selling potential. They should have an aggressive plan on how to market your house and have a strong detailed reasoning on why they think you should sell your house for whatever price they give you.

In this day of do it yourself selling, 2% flat rate, etc. someone had better be willing to show that they are willing to put in the work that they are getting paid $15,000+ for!

·
Registered
564 Posts
Realty fees are generally too high. I just had one quote me 6+3% and another 3.5% on a property. meanwhile I have 2 other properties listed at 2%.

·
Registered
246 Posts
This is what I did to picky my agent. I am looking for houses right now.

First of all, I had my friends/relatives recommend their agents. Not all of them really said, they would recommend their agent. But 2 did. I had a 30m meeting with each of them, before we began discussion I made clear to them that I will also be talking to one other agent. These are the things I discussed (it may look like interview questions, but it was more like a discussion) -

* Full time?
* How Long Have You Been in the Business? What % of that is working with the buyer?
* How many homes will I likely see before I find a home I want to buy?
* How do you filter the homes when the criteria cannot be put into the MLS site?
* How do you handle multiple offers?
* Do you present offers yourself?
* Do you have references that I can contact?
* How many clients do you have at a time & what is your typical response time? Do you have a staff?
* In the unfortunate case that our relationship does not work out, how should we handle the situation?
* What havent I asked that I need to know?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Real estate agents should know all rules and regulation related to property. They update their customers regarding all deals. Real estate is one of the best and advantageous investment for propertiers.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
From the statistics I have read in the past, most home owners who intend to sell via FSBO end up eventually listing the property with an realtor.

Exposure to sellers was usually the key issue, but it often happens that buyers find it awkward to negotiate with sellers.

(An example.......if you think the kitchen is awful and want to deduct the cost of replacing it...........when the sellers may have recently renovated it)

For virtually every house we made an offer to purchase on, the negotiation through our agent started out as......."my clients are interested in your home and feel the asking price is fair, but they have some concerns on the cost of renovating the kitchen (or whatever the problems are) and would make an offer that would reflect that cost to them". The agent would then add........"they are looking at several similar properties and although they like this location the most, some of the other homes have been more recently updated".

From a buyer point of view, the concept is to point out all the flaws in the home, and all homes have lots of flaws.......and bargain the price down.

Today, the exposure issue can be somewhat remedied with the ability to advertise on the MLS listings, and in some markets the homes are easier to sell.

In those markets, the sellers hold all the cards, leaving buyers with no bargaining power.

I think though, that situation is confined to a relatively few cities.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
With all due respect amitdi...........some of your "questions" are going to require written documentation "before" you sign with an agent.

For example.............."In the unfortunate case that our relationship does not work out, how should we handle the situation?"

The situation would be that once you sign the agent contract, you are expected and legally bound to live by the terms.

·
Registered
246 Posts
With all due respect amitdi...........some of your "questions" are going to require written documentation "before" you sign with an agent.

For example.............."In the unfortunate case that our relationship does not work out, how should we handle the situation?"

The situation would be that once you sign the agent contract, you are expected and legally bound to live by the terms.
Some of these questions, I knew the answers so I was not looking for an "answer" when I met him. In fact, I played dumb as if I didnt know anything. I am evaluating him through his answers, just to get a feel of whether I would like to work with him. Yes, he will have sugarcoated answers in their 1st meet, but thats ok. These were just the questions that were part of our discussion when I chose my agent.

But good point though.

·
Registered
102 Posts
If selling, hire a property appraiser who has no vested interest in your real estate transaction. There are many reasons why agents will overvalue or undervalue your property. The appraisal can also help you determine when to accept an offer.

As for buying, I once used a friend of a friend...big mistake.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Depending where you are in BC, I might be able to recommend someone if you need one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
you're doing a right thing always go for an agent/agency if you have no clue anything about real estate! also i second with @charles! real estate agents knows everything and each and every bit related to property! always consult an agent before making any investment in property

·
Banned
1,603 Posts
Very simple, educate yourself about the market and be in charge.
If you are buying you don't need the agent, just contact sellers or their agent yourself.
If you are selling get an agent who will listen and follow what you want them to do, make sure you do not pay full service fee. You only need selling agent to attract buying agents who sometimes don't want to deal with non represented seller.

The above may not apply to all situation (ei dealing with out of area property or specific segment of the market), but works well in most cases.

·
Registered
116 Posts
It is a first step to hiring a realtor if you want to earn a good amount of profit by selling your house check the track record of selling and buying the house by a realtor.A realtor must be professional and hard working.
You actually make MORE by selling yourself and not using a realtor. You do need a lawyer for the money to exchange hands.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts