Canadian Money Forum banner
21 - 40 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
The Charter protects your right to be offended, and to express your indignation accordingly, I am sure.

And don't overlook this useful emoji: :mad:

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
George Jonas had an interesting take on this. When he was a boy in Hungary his family got out of the country just as the Nazis came in. They had no trouble buying train tickets but it took a couple of days to comply with certain formalities, like vaccination certificates, a letter from the tax bureau showing they did not owe any unpaid taxes, passports etc. In the meantime they did not want to go back to their apartment and could not register in a hotel without showing their papers which identified them as Jews. The only safe place to spend the nights was with non Jewish friends but that was not so simple, as anyone who gave them shelter could find themselves in serious trouble.
One afternoon his father made a number of phone calls from a phone booth, and finally stepped out and said "It's all right, we can stay with Herr ------" His mother said "Who is he? Do we know him?" and his father said "He's an anti semite believe it or not".
It was true. The man was an old fashioned middle aged banker and he did not like Jews. But he drew the line at arresting people who had committed no crime, locking people up without a trial, and in fact thought the Nazis were a lot of hooligans and didn't care who knew it.
Jonas said " I will take an anti semite like that any day, over a liberal who runs at the first sign of trouble".

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
Look at it this way, what with C-19 and all else, we all have enough serious stuff to occupy our thoughts. Perhaps a bit of silliness won't hurt.
Man am I out of it... Yesterday I thought "C-19" must have meant some controversial federal Bill you were referring to that I'd never heard of. lol

I hope that my brief moment of mental lapse doesn't offend KAEJS o_O

·
Registered
7,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I mean, I guess the thread is posted in the right place. It just seems like a nonsense thread, that's all.

OP makes a post that says "Don't be racist. That's it."

Should I make a thread called "How to end homicide" and then post "Don't kill people. That's it."

Just seems silly...

Well actually we have a pretty consistent social agreement that homicide is wrong, and almost everyone across society believes it.
Sure it happens, but it's very rare.

Lets do the same thing to racism, if everyone was on board that it was bad, and we wouldn't accept it, it would quickly be a much smaller issue.
As it is, our tax dollars are actively funding more racism, making the problem worse.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Man am I out of it... Yesterday I thought "C-19" must have meant some controversial federal Bill you were referring to that I'd never heard of. lol

I hope that my brief moment of mental lapse doesn't offend KAEJS o_O
I think you're onto something there. We need a federal bill. Bill C-19.
Preamble:
WHEREAS Covid-19 has been messing up the lives of Canadians for far too long;
AND WHEREAS Canadians in every province are getting rather bored and downright annoyed with the whole thing;
AND WHEREAS measures to control that pestilential C-19 virus have heretofore proven woefully ineffective;
NOW, THEREFORE, Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Senate and House of Commons of Canada, enacts as follows:

Short title
1 This Act may be cited as An Act to Abolish COVID-19.
Definitions
2 (1) The following definitions apply in this Act.
COVID-19 means the COVID-19 virus and all of its many variations and permutations including Delta, Phi Beta Kappa, Lambda and all those as yet unimagined and unheard of;
Order designating Minister
3 The Governor in Council may, by order, designate any federal minister to be the Minister for the purposes of any provision of this Act.

That's a start. Let me get back to drafting this important piece of legislation and, of course, the COVID-19 Eradication Regulations, as subordinate legislation.

Ed. note: If the foregoing does not have KAEJS bellowing for the attention and swift, decisive action by the mods, what will?

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
It will not end. People are always looking for some other group to blame their own misfortunes on-economic, heath, education , aspirations, or unwillingness to work to achieve their goals.

It is why these right wing hate groups seem to flourish in times of economic downturns or pandemics. If it is not skin colour, orgin, faith it will be something else.

Really, how many times have we heard that immigrants and refugees are taking jobs from Canadians? Always the same story from bottom feeder would be politicians aimed at those who feel the county owes them a living. Or from Canadians who have zero ambition/work ethics, are too lazy to apply themselves to reach their goals, or fail to recognize how much opportunity there is in Canada for anyone and everyone.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Well actually we have a pretty consistent social agreement that homicide is wrong, and almost everyone across society believes it.
Sure it happens, but it's very rare.

Lets do the same thing to racism, if everyone was on board that it was bad, and we wouldn't accept it, it would quickly be a much smaller issue.
As it is, our tax dollars are actively funding more racism, making the problem worse.
It sounds like you are talking about affirmative action/positive discrimination.
I don't have problem with them, because the impact of discrimination is intergenerational, however, they MUST have a predetermined termination date that cannot be extended so people don't become addicted to it.
AA is like walking cane, they are useful if you are injured, but if you rely on them for too long, you will forget how to walk.

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
I think you're onto something there. We need a federal bill. Bill C-19.
Preamble:
WHEREAS Covid-19 has been messing up the lives of Canadians for far too long;
AND WHEREAS Canadians in every province are getting rather bored and downright annoyed with the whole thing;
AND WHEREAS measures to control that pestilential C-19 virus have heretofore proven woefully ineffective;
NOW, THEREFORE, Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Senate and House of Commons of Canada, enacts as follows:

Short title
1 This Act may be cited as An Act to Abolish COVID-19.
Definitions
2 (1) The following definitions apply in this Act.
COVID-19 means the COVID-19 virus and all of its many variations and permutations including Delta, Phi Beta Kappa, Lambda and all those as yet unimagined and unheard of;
Order designating Minister
3 The Governor in Council may, by order, designate any federal minister to be the Minister for the purposes of any provision of this Act.

That's a start. Let me get back to drafting this important piece of legislation and, of course, the COVID-19 Eradication Regulations, as subordinate legislation.

Ed. note: If the foregoing does not have KAEJS bellowing for the attention and swift, decisive action by the mods, what will?
Might I suggest also a sub-section on abolishing earwigs? Though I hope I will not be accused of supporting an omnibus bill that bypasses the spirit of parliamentary debate... It's for the good of the country, afterall.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I have got to the point where I now unfriend any face book friend who ends up with racist nonsense posts-either their own or some other friend's post that they failed to delete.

I have been quite astonished at some of the postings. Surprised at the depth of their respective ignorance and racism. Spouse says I should just ignore them. But...I do not even want to show up on their respective face book pages as being a friend. Not certain how they got to that point in their lives but I feel sorry for them. Must be awful to be filled with so much resentment and hate for others.

A number of years a BIL, when seeing some of children's friends asked if our children had any 'Canadian' friends. We were taken aback by this. DW mentioned to him that my parents came over to Canada on a boat from Scotland. I was first generation. Our good neighbours, of East Indian descent, we fourth generation Canadians. Their children were fifth generation.

·
Registered
7,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
It sounds like you are talking about affirmative action/positive discrimination.
I don't have problem with them, because the impact of discrimination is intergenerational, however, they MUST have a predetermined termination date that cannot be extended so people don't become addicted to it.
AA is like walking cane, they are useful if you are injured, but if you rely on them for too long, you will forget how to walk.
I do not believe there is a "positive" discrimination.

Do you really think you'll have the same opportunity if enough people think you're a "quota hire".

I'll let you in on a secret that racists who support AA etc don't want you to know.
Most people don't care about race.
While things aren't perfect, it's constantly getting easier to move your way up.

The impact of discrimination is intergenerational, but so is almost every other issue.
If your parents were victims of a crime, or an accident or something else there will be impacts.
Why does it matter what the impact was caused by? Why not try to help everyone?

Why are people so focused on looking at everything through the lens of race, it doesnt' matter.

·
Registered
112 Posts
@MrMatt
The article you select did not rebuke the concept of AA, it only suggest having race base quota for admission is a bad idea. In my opinion, a proper AA policy is to improve education outcome for minority by improving primary and secondary education for minority.

The problem of racism is getting less serious, that's why I mention AA need to have predetermined termination clause after certain time, ot after certain outcome is achieved.

The concept of helping everyone is irrelevant, because I am only talking about people that are injured, this certainly include victims of crime.

·
Registered
7,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
@MrMatt
The article you select did not rebuke the concept of AA, it only suggest having race base quota for admission is a bad idea. In my opinion, a proper AA policy is to improve education outcome for minority by improving primary and secondary education for minority.

The problem of racism is getting less serious, that's why I mention AA need to have predetermined termination clause after certain time, ot after certain outcome is achieved.

The concept of helping everyone is irrelevant, because I am only talking about people that are injured, this certainly include victims of crime.
In my opinion we should improve education for EVERYONE.
Why only improve education for minorities? Why not give everyone the same good education?

I think we should help everyone, and if someone is injured of course they might get different supports.
However if you're suggesting treating them differently because of their experiences, I'm ok with that.
As long as it is for things they actually experienced, that's fine, and I've stated before I'm okay with that.
I don't support racist policies however.

lets take person A and person B
If something bad happened to person B, go ahead, give them help.
However i don't support treating person A and B differently because of their relative races.
For actual experiences and problems they face sure, but race, absolutely not.

I think thats the problem with modern racists. This monolithic view of race, like every person in that group is the same with the same experiences.

To be clear, you're not talking about helping only those who are injured, you're talking about discriminating by race, irrespective of if they are injured or not.
Pick one,
1. Help those who need help (I support this)
2. Treat people differently because of their race. (I categorically reject this)

·
Registered
7,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
The article you select did not rebuke the concept of AA, it only suggest having race base quota for admission is a bad idea.
That's literally the definition of how AA racism is implemented in most jurisdictions.
That's also why I oppose AA, it is harmful. But it's a useful tool to hurt the target group and keep them weak, while pretending to do good.

That's what I find so insidious about this, they're pushing known harmful policies, hurting people for political gain. It's disgusting.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Like every important issue facing humanity today, it all depends on the ability to change the attitudes of the deniers.

This includes
Climate Change and Global Warming,
Covid-19
Systemic Racism
and even the January 6, 2021 insurrection.

There isn't going to be any meaningful progress as long as the deniers continue to trivialize these problems.

·
Registered
15,619 Posts
The world will progress without the deniers and will manage just fine. Those who struggle to accept the new reality will be left behind.

In fact, given voting preferences......the deniers already remain behind to forever lament the unfairness of it all.

·
Registered
112 Posts
In my opinion we should improve education for EVERYONE.
Why only improve education for minorities? Why not give everyone the same good education?

I think we should help everyone, and if someone is injured of course they might get different supports.
However if you're suggesting treating them differently because of their experiences, I'm ok with that.
As long as it is for things they actually experienced, that's fine, and I've stated before I'm okay with that.
I don't support racist policies however.

lets take person A and person B
If something bad happened to person B, go ahead, give them help.
However i don't support treating person A and B differently because of their relative races.
For actual experiences and problems they face sure, but race, absolutely not.

I think thats the problem with modern racists. This monolithic view of race, like every person in that group is the same with the same experiences.

To be clear, you're not talking about helping only those who are injured, you're talking about discriminating by race, irrespective of if they are injured or not.
Pick one,
1. Help those who need help (I support this)
2. Treat people differently because of their race. (I categorically reject this)
What happen if people from certain ethnic backgrounds are overwhelmed the victims, should there be a program target for that ethnic background ?

I think quota system is not the way to achieve diversity, this is because it create many frictions between people from different backgrounds, as one group is now geting a certain privilege despite they don't have the ability to normally get that specific privilege. I REFUSE to sacrifice quality for the sake of diversity.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Like every important issue facing humanity today, it all depends on the ability to change the attitudes of the deniers.

This includes
Climate Change and Global Warming,
Covid-19
Systemic Racism
and even the January 6, 2021 insurrection.

There isn't going to be any meaningful progress as long as the deniers continue to trivialize these problems.
Just have to add another one
Indian Residential School abuses and crimes.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Just because someone disagrees with your solution to the problem doesn't mean they 'deny' the problem.
They just think certain solution to the problem is stupid and counterproductive.
Seeing everything as black and white, 'us' vs 'them' is exactly that - stupid and counterproductive.
Stop propagating such thinking

21 - 40 of 90 Posts