Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
Peer pressure from friends and family may be enough, and only if so called family and friends are willing to call an inconsiderate member on inappropriate behaviour.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Better than sitting there and taking it like a little soldier. If you are retired, don't have to go to work, and especially if your health is not the best, might be a good idea to stay home as much as possible and do your shopping at times when the least number of people are around, like early Wednesday morning for grocery shopping. That is what I mean to do. I like going out for coffee but have already switched from a popular chain coffee shop that gets a lot of travelers off the highway, to a small downtown shop that caters to locals. If we get cases around here will stop going there too.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Canada had relatively good success with self quarantine during SARS.

I think we'd likely do better again.

It isn't like Italy where they are deploying the military, or China where there are reports (not sure how reliable) that they were locking people in apartment buildings.

I do think that to make this effective in Canada, is an effective support system to avoid undue hardship.
Ideas I've heard are mortgage holidays being floated in the UK, but little else.

I think most Canadians who can afford to, are willing to self quarantine, or at least lock up a bit.
I think the government needs to build a plan.

I think the US will have lower compliance, due to their "freedom loving" attitude, however they also have a patriotic duty to do the right thing. Give them the right supports and they will.
Trump held a conference that he's working on this plan, I think that was just to get the ball rolling, because he needs a LOT of money from Congress.

Trudeau just needs to get it from Parliment, and I expect it will be relatively easy. The opposition might not want to pull an election on a Coronavirus containment plan.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
It's important to note that measures are now being taken to support those who have to stay home. No wait time for EI as announced today being a major one.

If you watched this morning, not one person was sending the message, 'the risk is low, go on with your daily lives' anymore. Now the message is we ALL must do what is required to protect ourselves AND others.

So the emphasis in focus is shifting and the message that it is not just about YOU is being clearly given. Think of it like drinking and driving, yes, there will always be some who still do so but the majority I believe will accept the message and at least start thinking about others.

So far, Canada is doing well compared to other countries. I don't see panic, I don't see people continuing to try and just shrug it of as just another 'flu'. People are realizing that this is indeed serious and has to be taken seriously by everyone.

·
Registered
501 Posts
There's already been cases in the US where people are ignoring the self-quarantine and in one case attending a business event and another a father-daughter dance.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I am putting myself in self-imposed exile starting today. I will expect soon to receive my 2 weeks' pay from government. No medical test required.

Better check the toilet paper supply first. All good. None there as usual. No money, trees or anything else wasted on that account. I wonder, does all that stuff end up in our lakes and oceans? Why the present tp wars, such as discussed here?: https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/video-covid-19-fears-spur-apparent-toilet-paper-dash-at-langley-costco

Good that some common sense prevails elsewhere:
TP.jpg

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I am putting myself in self-imposed exile starting today. I will expect soon to receive my 2 weeks' pay from government. No medical test required.

Better check the toilet paper supply first. All good. None there as usual. No money, trees or anything else wasted on that account. I wonder, does all that stuff end up in our lakes and oceans? Why the present tp wars, such as discussed here?: https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/video-covid-19-fears-spur-apparent-toilet-paper-dash-at-langley-costco

Good that some common sense prevails elsewhere:
View attachment 19988
There is no shortage of toilet paper, disinfectant wipes etc. in or area Mukhang pera. That seems to be a 'city people' thing and it may be my imagination but it also seems to be a Costco customer issue more so than any other retail outlets. There is no Costco near us, just normal supermarkets and they all have plenty of TP on the shelves. Does that say anything about what kind of people shop at Costco? I don't know, I've never been in one to see who shops there.

Interestingly, when Trudeau announced the no waiting period for EI, a reporter did ask, 'what about abusers', to which Trudeau did not in fact reply other than to say, 'we are going to take care of those who have to stay home.' I took that to mean, if some lowlife chooses to abuse it, it is not going to be allowed to slow down the process of getting the money to those who need it. That is what any attempt to 'check' whether someone is a legitimate claimant or not would have to do.

I presume of course that you are not serious about a claim for yourself and were only 'floating' the question of abusers taking advantage of the situation. I have no doubt some lowlifes will indeed do so. Any lowlife taking a vacation and falsely claiming 'self-isolation for Covid-19', will no doubt get his or her due in due time I'm sure. It's called Karma.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I presume of course that you are not serious about a claim for yourself and were only 'floating' the question of abusers taking advantage of the situation. I have no doubt some lowlifes will indeed do so. Any lowlife taking a vacation and falsely claiming 'self-isolation for Covid-19', will no doubt get his or her due in due time I'm sure. It's called Karma.
Well doggone. You had to bring up the Karma thing. Bad joss. Maybe I'll have to reconsider my quarantine plan. Not pass go. Not collect $200, or whatever the elves in Ottawa might hand out.

·
Registered
11,825 Posts
To collect EI the employer would have to submit the layoff documents and workers would have to qualify to collect it.

·
Registered
11,729 Posts
There's already been cases in the US where people are ignoring the self-quarantine and in one case attending a business event and another a father-daughter dance.
There really ought to be criminal penalties for this. People will die because of careless self-quarantine.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
To collect EI the employer would have to submit the layoff documents and workers would have to qualify to collect it.
No experience with EI but this link says otherwise EI sickness benefits

Employment Insurance (EI) sickness benefits can provide you with up to 15 weeks of financial assistance if you cannot work for medical reasons. You could receive 55% of your earnings up to a maximum of $573 a week.

You must get a medical certificate to show that you’re unable to work for medical reasons. Medical reasons include illness, injury, quarantine or any medical condition that prevents you from working.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I have to say, i actually approve of the Trudeau plan, at least the aspects related to EI.

I think reviving workshare is great, and offering EI for quarantines is also good.

I'm glad they're looking into other issues, but its' a great start.

FYI, I've been on workshare before, basically there is some (not too much) paperwork.

Lets say you work 40 hours normally, but only 20 due to COVID-19 related drop in work.
Company pays you for 20 hours, and EI picks up the other 20 hours at 55% or whatever the rate is.

IMO it's a great plan and hits a good balance, also since it's an existing program, it should be able to ramp up quite rapidly.
I expect in this case, the quarantine certificate will be relatively easy to get, the fatality rate for at risk populations is terrible.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have to say, i actually approve of the Trudeau plan, at least the aspects related to EI.

I think reviving workshare is great, and offering EI for quarantines is also good.

I'm glad they're looking into other issues, but its' a great start.

FYI, I've been on workshare before, basically there is some (not too much) paperwork.

Lets say you work 40 hours normally, but only 20 due to COVID-19 related drop in work.
Company pays you for 20 hours, and EI picks up the other 20 hours at 55% or whatever the rate is.

IMO it's a great plan and hits a good balance, also since it's an existing program, it should be able to ramp up quite rapidly.
I expect in this case, the quarantine certificate will be relatively easy to get, the fatality rate for at risk populations is terrible.
I knew we would get you in the long run. EI is a tax :excitement:

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I knew we would get you in the long run. EI is a tax :excitement:
Get me how?
I think it's a decent initial plan to help make quarantines more practical.

Still a lot of issues to address, but this is a good first step.

I think some people are likely in shock that I said anything good about Trudeau.

·
Registered
11,825 Posts
I checked today and there are no active cases in our city. Ontario has a website where all cases are being tracked.

Everyone presenting to the hospital with flu symptoms is being tested for coronavirus.

It appears that in Ontario, the tax dollars spent to ramp up information gathering and health protocols is proving to be a good thing.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/2019-novel-coronavirus

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Today PM Trudeau gave his strongest message yet regarding staying at home. Seeing people still not practicing Physical Distancing is getting a lot of people angry. I think today's message was a final warning that if people will not do what they should to act responsibly but instead continue to take a selfish view, then we are going to see it being MANDATED as has happened in other countries.

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Will be interesting to see if those "selfish" (arrogant ignoramuses) will pay attention to Trudeau. Likely NOT.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts