Canadian Money Forum banner

How much has covid impacted your everyday life?

• A large impact

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • A fair bit

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Just a little

Votes: 13 48.1%
  • None at all

Votes: 3 11.1%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone's situation is different and a lot depends on where you are located.

I know some who have been laid off or closed their business, one that has recovered from covid and others that have isolated for most of this. Some have taken on additional tasks to help others out ... family, friends or neighbors. There are also some that this has had minimal impact on, still working and grocery shopping pretty much like normal.

·
Registered
16,346 Posts
"A fair bit" of impact for me. I started running my small business, and it was actually picking up steam right around when the pandemic hit. This immediately halted all client visits and negotiations (which were looking promising up until then). One of the offices I work with is in Italy, and they went completely offline. I'm lucky to still have income, and the work continues, but the shutdown and total end to travel means that several opportunities have disappeared.

And on the personal side, I was about to move between provinces in March/April, and that has been postponed. This move is reasonably important for me, because quality of life isn't so great in my current housing situation and I was looking forward to the move. It's going to be positive for my work, and lifestyle.

But one might say these are relatively minor inconveniences in the big scheme of things. Business opportunities will emerge again, and moving is simply postponed.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I was taken aback a little at first especially after glancing at my investments and my wife losing her part-time job. At 62, I have been semi-retired for a good five years but kept a couple of part-time side gigs that pay very well and that I really enjoy to the point I had no interest in fully retiring whatsoever...Until now. In the end, COVID-19 has made me rethink my priorities and I will call it quits by the end of the summer so my wife and I can start a new chapter in our life. Hopefully, travel will be allowed, otherwise, we will patiently weather the storm and work on some interests I have been neglecting for years: perfecting a couple of languages I speak well but not fluently, restoring to its former glory my old motorcycle which has been sitting in a garage for a good twenty years, and a few other things I have on the back burner.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I wonder if Cottage/recreational properties will see higher demand. I have a friend who travels internationally for leisure 3-4 times a year. I could Definitely see him buying something to cure his itch for a few years.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
My biggest worries are my wife and my grandchildren. Wife had hip surgery scheduled for June 10th that is now on hold indefinitely. The hip has needed doing for over a year and we are considering having it done in Mexico.

My grandchildren cannot get summer work to finance their lives.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I wonder if Cottage/recreational properties will see higher demand. I have a friend who travels internationally for leisure 3-4 times a year. I could Definitely see him buying something to cure his itch for a few years.
just came across this....

·
Registered
12,372 Posts
COVID has affected our lives primarily in non financial ways.

If anything, we have more income as my wife is working more hours and received the extra $4 pay increase.

But money isn't everything, as is becoming increasingly evident.

I hear very few people complaining about money......due perhaps in part to the government support programs.

I hear people complain about the loss of relationships. The inability to hold family gatherings or hug their grandchild is what people are missing most.

That is what we miss too.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Financially, I lost some gains in my retirement portfolio, but really I wouldn't say I'm hurting by any means. With the current markets I'm up 4% annualized time weighted since inception, and up ~29% (for now). I have been taking this opportunity to average down and find no real stress in the situation with roughly 20-30 years to ride it out.

Career wise, I was furloughed from my job as an airline pilot. Layoffs are no stranger to me, as the majority of my career has been seasonal. I'm now going back to my roots as an aerial applicator. Thankfully no more than 48 hours after my layoff notice, I had 4 job offers. Cropdusting is a niche skill set, and I'm fortunate to be an expert in a field with high demand for experience. Networking is key. Never burn your bridges.

Future planning, it put a curve in the road, but it has not by any means changed much moving forward. Spraying is pretty lucrative, just unpredictable and is a bit harder on the lifestyle.

Day to day life has not changed much. Due to being on the road all the time, I find myself a homebody with many hobbies that has always kept myself occupied. There is always something to do. I still visit family and friends. No real change there.

That aside there are a few honorable mentions.

Shopping in stores is even more infuriating to me. I typically know exactly what I want, get in, and get out. I hate shopping and now it's 10 times worse. I now try my best to order online and avoid stores like the plague...pun intended.

The other real impact has been gym closures. I used to go on a strict schedule 3 times a week. I have now moved to a 4 day per week routine at home. When they open, you can bet your last dollar I will be back to the gym lifting heavy.

Lastly a big hobby of mine is competitive shooting. Many matches have been cancelled. I don't plan on shooting a match until the dust settles. I have no interest in rubber gloves and masks for my hobby. On the plus side, I have reloaded thousands of rounds for upcoming matches in the future. I'm finally ahead on the ammo stash!

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Very minor compared to many. We like to travel frequently so that is off the table for now. We did rough out our next four extended trip should this scourge ever be lifted. We have our health, investments took a hit but will recover. Retired, so no loss of income or a house full of dependents. Immediate family are all working and in good health.

I have a cousin who is just coming off two weeks on a ventilator. Now he has other complications. Recovery was questionable for a week or so. When we look around we realize how fortunate we are compared to many who have been truly impacted.

I do all the grocery shopping since covid. DW has stayed at home since we came back 19/3 with the exception of car rides to the foothills and the mountains. Don't miss shopping malls etc because I shop mostly on line which I have been doing. The one thing we miss is going out to our favourite Thai and Vietnamese restaurants. The other big miss for us is the library. We use it, them extensively. Weather is finally turning warm here. Getting the convertable on the road the early next week so that will enhance our drives.

We just have to make the best of it, hope this situation passes, and keep moving forward with our lives.

·
Registered
12,222 Posts
I think they appeal to very different types of travelers.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Luckily my job/income is unaffected, I simply transitioned to working from home, which has been a huge improvement to my quality of life. No commuting, I cook my own lunch every day, I wake up later, I don't have to wear anything nice, and I can lie on my couch while I work. I work for a company with a lot of old fuddy-duddy types (especially in management) who are not very progressive, so they have always been very resistant to allowing working from home. I'm hoping they will see most employees have been just as productive while working from home, and allow more of it when the lockdown ends. Better yet, I'm hoping more companies will allow working from home, this will allow me to move further away from the city. If for example I was allowed to come in to the office only once a week and work the other 4 days from home, I could move way up north in the muskokas or something. Sell my house, buy a cheaper one, and be mortgage free. Save more and retire earlier.

Portfolio-wise, it dropped quite a bit, but has bounced back significantly. I did not sell anything and added to some of my ETFs so I expect to gain from this when the market recovers.

Socially, I was never very outgoing so I'm not too affected. Grocery shopping has become a huge pain with the long lines though.

I was also planning a road trip with the girlfriend to Maine this July, that will probably have to be cancelled. Maybe if things open up we'll be able to push it to late summer, we'll see.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
I will use this thread/post to reflect on my impacts, then I can look back at it later on. I find it difficult to believe how COVID had NOT affected people very much.

For impacts:
Work wise - both my spouse and I are fortunate that we are both working from home with no impacts to our salaries. The environment is different for me as my work is primary face to face meetings. I have been developing a niche of learning to run on line meetings/workshops. It's been a new challenge for me to develop this skill and others are starting to contact me for my knowledge. I haven't had to challenge my knowledge in a while so this is great. I miss some of the social interactions, but because I am on video calls so much, I am doing okay. Being on conference calls reminds me of my teenage days where I was on the phone all the time

Finance wise - we have been saving on:
  • commuting (on insurance, gas, parking saving over $600 a month)
  • Kids activities/school fees: so far we have been refunded for our kids activities and bussing for the rest of the year of over $2K plus we aren't registering for summer activities which is another $3k. Even if camps open, we won't be sending our kids. Though this is a positive $ wise, it sucks for our kids mental and physical health.
  • Food spending is about even - we aren't spending as much for eating out even though we are trying to get take out as much as possible, the cost of groceries has almost doubled due to increase in prices and everyone being home. We are splurging more on groceries since that's one of the few things we can do consistently, so try to get as much enjoyment as possible
  • Overall spending is down as we are not shopping much though I don't shop that much anyways, we are spending much more for on line shopping. We are spending more on things that we can do at home. So our going out entertainment has gone down while being replaced with buying at home stuff like gardening, bikes, outdoor games, craft supplies for the kids, etc.
  • We stopped our planned renovations this year. We don't want anyone in our house and the thought of checking out materials was too much. We also want to save the capital for investment
  • Our rentals are fine, we had dropped rent earlier for some good tenants because they ran into hard times before this. Now, they are paying it back by still paying us. Though I expect vacancies later this year.
  • Investments are really down. They fell by 6 digits very quickly. I couldn't stomach watching it, so just hid, and didn't even look. Now I will start redeploying
Everyday life wise - we are so fortunate that our kids are a little older and don't need constant supervision so I can work. Though, we have had a few minor kitchen fires or mishaps since being home. Fortunately, I can see everything from the dining room.
  • This is has been the largest impact. My kids and I are normally very busy with activities. All of that has stopped or greatly changed. Both kids were in competitive sports and had to stop.
  • My kids both enjoyed schooled, and miss their friends. - Surprisingly, they both love learning from home. They find they having their assignments posted and that they learn at their own speed is great. They have both asked to be homeschooled next year. Unfortunately, they asked if they could be homeschooled by someone other than their parents.
  • We are a very social family, so we miss getting together with friends and family. We have a lot of video calls and have started physical distance get togethers, but its not quite the same.
  • On a positive note, one of my kids had a severe sports head injury at the beginning of this year. The concussion was healing more slowly due to many triggers from school and her inability to fully relax and rest. Since everything has shut down, she has been healing a lot better. We had 6 different specilists/doctors that we were seeing before COVID, and it's been a challenge getting in to see them, but in many ways easier since I don't have to worry about leaving work and picking her up from school. This is our biggest blessing is that she almost has full recovery (the permanent damage is minimal), and I don't know if this would have happened if things didn't shut down
  • The biggest impact is on my parents. My mother is in a home that is locked down, and we worry about her as she is mentally deteriorating without visits from the family. This is especially difficult for my dad. My dad lives alone and still needs a lot of support from family. To safely help him, I have rearranged my family schedule that we isolate for 14 days without contact in order for me to be able to go into his house safely. It's big change as I have to change my whole schedule to plan for 3 weeks out at a time and the kids don't get to do anything. This is the area that brings me the biggest worry is for my parents as they are in high risk groups.
So for us there have been a lot of impacts, but some have been very positive. I know most of the negative impacts will eventually work themselves out and will be a blimp in time. The most difficult is for my parents which my dad is wise and has good perspective and my kids because they are younger, and I am teaching them perspective. There have been many changes in our day to day life, which I didn't even bother listing, but I hope this is the worst we ever have to go through.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Our only significant impact is on travel. Other than that we see very little other impact. Little things yes, like I can't go to the library which for someone who reads 3-4 books per week generally can be a big deal. Fortunately, I have a home library of several hundred books of which many can be just as pleasurably re-read. I tried going back to using my KOBO I bought some years back but just as then, I find it just isn't the same as holding a real book and turning the pages.

I could use a haircut as could my wife but I'm not vain enough to be very concerned about that. My wife keeps threatening to cut it for me and I say, 'fine, then I'll cut yours'. So far, the second part has discouraged her from the first part. I don't care if my hair grows long really, it's better than being bald. No way though am I going to go for a 'man bun' or even worse the oh so ridiculous, 'old man with a pony tail' look.

It's gardening time and we are doing that pretty much as per normal. Groceries are pick up or delivery and other than the occassional item being unavailable or a poor substitution etc. we are eating the same as always.

We are saving quite a bit of money I have to say. Our monthly spend is probably down at least $1000 per month and that isn't including major travel which we will also save on obviously.

Really, no major differences except for travel as I said to begin with but I do think that the impact on people will become greater as time goes on.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts