Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from a local corner store that quoted $2/page for a fax to the US.

This seems outrageous - are there cheaper alternatives?

·
Registered
420 Posts
I haven't used a fax machine in years. When we dumped the landline we lost the use of our fax (something we forgot to consider when we decided to cancel the landline). For the past 3 years or so I have scanned and emailed documents. I have never had a recipient/sender insist on a fax copy.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
I haven't used a fax machine in years. When we dumped the landline we lost the use of our fax (something we forgot to consider when we decided to cancel the landline).
A fax machine is pretty archaic when you think about it

You can use a plain old fax machine over the internet with a Linksys adaptor but I also find it easier to just scan/email.... everyone has email now-a-days.. it's far better quality and it's free

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Legal documents are often still required to be sent by fax, and scanned/emailed documents won't do. That is starting to change now that digital signatures are available, but my girlfriend works in a law office and their fax machine is still used heavily all day.

In my home office I have one of those multifunction printers that has a fax function, which I've used exactly twice in the past four years.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
If you scan your signature what is the difference to a legal document? That's exactly what a Fax machine does. The only difference is that email won't degrade the quality to barely legible

I scanned/emailed all my mortgage broker papers, but I did see the lawyer to sign a million things in person

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
I just got back from a local corner store that quoted $2/page for a fax to the US.

This seems outrageous - are there cheaper alternatives?
Our corner Mailboxes ETC and UPS charge $1 per page + $1 for each LD call.
So a fax to the US would be $2 as well, but a local one would be only $1.
Outrageous, for sure - just like many other things.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
If you scan your signature what is the difference to a legal document? That's exactly what a Fax machine does. The only difference is that email won't degrade the quality to barely legible
It's a lot easier to tamper with an emailed document than with a scan. In theory, someone could intercept your email, make changes to the document and keep your signature, or change the names and signatures, etc. Plus I think there are some legal concerns about your ability to electronically modify a scanned document. Mortgage papers are less of an issue here than papers in legal proceedings/court cases.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I use faxzero.com which allows 2 free 3 page faxes per day.

I've used it to send faxes to banks, lawyers & revenue canada - 3 of the dinosaurs that still use stone age technology.

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
Why don't you get one of those 3-in-1 machines with copier, fax & print? That's what I did. It was not even the cost of faxing. It was the nuisance of driving all the way to an UPS Store or Staples just to fax a couple of pages. I believe good ones will run you about $200 but its worth spending money, IMO.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Why don't you get one of those 3-in-1 machines with copier, fax & print? That's what I did. It was not even the cost of faxing. It was the nuisance of driving all the way to an UPS Store or Staples just to fax a couple of pages. I believe good ones will run you about $200 but its worth spending money, IMO.
This is what I use -- I've had a number of these over the years but the one I'm using now is by far my favourite: the Canon MX850 (there is a newer version now with a higher model number). It's been 100% reliable, the ink cartridges are cheaper than those of other brands I've used in the past, it prints two-sided, is energy-efficient, and the software works well on both PC and Mac. I hardly ever use the fax function, but having a copier and scanner, as well as a printer, is really handy. This is the first of these multifunction machines I've used where the individual components are just as good as dedicated devices (like a standalone copier, a standalone scanner, a standalone fax machine).

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Actually when I sold my condo I did it all via scanner/email. I have never had the need for any fax machine and the three times in my life where I did, it was easy to pay Mailboxes Etc $3 to send a couple of sheets, no big deal.

My procedure: receive PDF via email, print it on my regular printer, sign it, scan the document to jpg and email the jpg back with signature. Cheap and easy and I've had the scanner for years. A very useful device as they are good for scanning photos and other documents for your own purposes as well.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Perhaps you can check your office whether there is a fax machine and whether you can use it to send personal fax?

I don't mean to say you should fax a few pages everyday to different destinations around the world. Common sense should apply here.

I rarely send any fax these days but when I do need to do so, I bring them to the office and either ask the admin assistant to help me or do it myself during the not-so-busy periods i.e. lunch breaks or close to the end of day. The faxes that I send from the office do not typically contain any personal or confidential information so that's not a concern.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
The fax machine I use is a HP. It's a multi function machine too.

With the VOIP problem I'm having I can't use it reliably.

One bonus about the VOIP phone is your phone number and fax number is unlisted pretty much.

You won't get those spam faxes with fake cancellation numbers. I used to get like 30 of those a day and wouldn't you know it they feel free to use tons of black ink which costs a fortune. Then when you finally need to get a real fax from your real customer you have to pay $100 for new ink.

·
Banned
23 Posts
I do very little faxing these days, so I scan on my printer (scans but doesn't fax) and fax using my computer's built in modem. Back when I had need for a real fax, I used an old computer to receive faxes and only printed the ones that I needed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts