Canadian Money Forum banner

How much of your after tax income do you give to charity?

• 0-1%

Votes: 19 38.8%
  • 1-2%

Votes: 15 30.6%
  • 2-3%

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • 3-4%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4-5%

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • more than 5%

Votes: 12 24.5%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Banned
2,508 Posts
Nothing. I feel like those people in the book, "Millionaire next door."

But I have won awards for volunteer work. I prefer to volunteer labour/time rather than money. A lot of charties are run by volunteers that don't get paid. Who knows if the money is being used or managed in the best way.

Your poll has nothing for 0%

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
1-2% to Kiva which I could technically get back but I re-give the payments

So far I like it because as you re-give you get more and more back on a monthly basis so it seems to grow exponentially.

·
Registered
104 Posts
...very little since I participate in forced charity beyond taxes. The provincial gov't forces (assuming she even wants to treat them) my wife to take A LOT less by treating synod, OW & ODSP patients than non-recipients...that is, she nets $10 off OW/ODSP per patient when she nets >$100 off non-recipients. I figure that's charity enough.

·
Banned
429 Posts
I've lived/worked overseas in Africa since I was a kid. So my charities are to organizations that generally work in Africa.

I do spend lots of time abroad every year and some of it is without pay. However, having grown up seeing what true poverty is, and seeing what a little bit can do, I kind of feel obligated to give a little back.

Kiva.org is a wonderful organization

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
A few years ago, after reading Peter Singer's essay "How Much Should a Billionaire Give, and How Much Should You?" I set myself a goal of giving 10% of my gross income to charity. But I've never even come close. I typically give about 2% and one year I made it up to 5%, but it's going to take me a while to ramp up to 10%; I'm still too focused on saving for retirement and paying off the mortgage, but the older I get the more satisfaction I get out of giving to charities.

·
Banned
321 Posts
i did write in the forum some time back about taxes. being in the higher tax bracket, i think i can consider some of my tax money as charity. joe bloe paying no tax is getting the same benefits from the govt as me which means i am paying something for him to get this benefit. so i do not consider doing percentages.

that does not mean i do not do any charity. i generally cannot easily turn down anyone asking me for help. so every phone call, every request gets some donation. also, i have realized this several times in life. if help is shoved without being asked, it is not appreciated as it should be. so unless someone asks, i do not feel the need to go out of my way to help. i do not keep track though, which is what my culture teaches. left hand should not know what the right hand donates.

·
Banned
42 Posts
As other posters have pointed out, I too have a tough time giving to most charities. I feel that all levels of government are taxing us quite heavily and this revenue should be enough to meet the needs of the community at large.

For example, a telethon whose main objective is to raise funds for a particular hospital to purchase a particular piece of equipment should be unnecessary...and until Mr. Harper (and all the Premiers) agree to have the government books examined by the Auditor General to shed light on the amount of wasteful spending (and possible corruption) by our MP's, should be avoided by the public.

·
Banned
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe I'm the oddball (not surprising)...

But I rarely give to local charities (I live in GTA). I usually give to Red Cross, and MSF, for disaster relief. But I do not have a regular donating plan. Usually, random disaster happen throughout the year, and I chip in a little here and there. I "feel" that these are more urgent needs, and isn't charity ultimately about how I "feel" ?

·
Banned
42 Posts
Another thing I'm not happy about is fundraising (on the backs of parents)for the local public school for technology upgrades. Our son just came home with the first (of probably many) fundraisers for the school. Money for smartboards and such....so irritating!! We pay way too much in taxes for these types of funding requests from the public school system.

·
Banned
23 Posts
One charity that bugs me.. when I go through the Wal-mart checkout, (and many other checkouts aswell) and they ask me if I want to donate. If I can afford to donate $1, then Walmart should be able to donate a billion. Then you notice in the news or some advertisement somwhere saying that they've donated $xxxxxxx many dollars to charity. Was that the customer that donated the money or really Wal-mart? Hmmm.. i wonder if they use the customers donations for tax breaks? Does Wal-mart care more about the charity or are they just using it as an advertisment?

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Earlier this year - on a cold, cold day, in fact - I participated in a bake sale for Haiti.

"Cupcakes for Haiti" raised $12,000 CASH that day, which was doubled by the federal government. We gave $24,000 to Doctors Without Borders and FINCA (a microloan charity).

The cookbook which grew out of that event is now available. Here's a blog post about it:

http://familynature.wordpress.com/2010/09/23/cupcakes-for-haiti-cookbook/

If you want a cookbook, let me know. Every penny of the cookbook sales will be going to MSF and FINCA. If you like baking, and cupcakes, and charity, I will hook you up!

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
p.s. I kid you not. This was a bunch of gung-ho but low-key women baking cupcakes and selling them on one woman's lawn in the middle of winter. ;)

·
Banned
688 Posts
I raised $2500 in this years Becel Ride for Heart and Stroke in Toronto. First experience raising funds instead of just donating and it felt great to get involved.

·
Registered
249 Posts
$0 - I don't believe in charity.
Helping the poor is a government job (although I'd prefer the money to be spent on education and contraceptives for the poor).
Funding research is a government job. I think we should pay more taxes for research.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
$0 - I don't believe in charity.
Helping the poor is a government job (although I'd prefer the money to be spent on education and contraceptives for the poor).
Funding research is a government job. I think we should pay more taxes for research.
'At this festive season of the year, Mr Scrooge,' said the gentleman, taking up a pen, 'it is more than usually desirable that we should make some slight provision for the Poor and destitute, who suffer greatly at the present time. Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir.'

'The Treadmill and the Poor Law are in full vigour, then?' said Scrooge.

They are. Still,' returned the gentleman,' I wish I could say they were not.'

'Are there no prisons?"

'Plenty of prisons,' said the gentleman, laying down the pen again.

'And the Union workhouses.' demanded Scrooge. 'Are they still in operation?'

'Both very busy, sir.'

'Oh. I was afraid, from what you said at first, that something had occurred to stop them in their useful course,' said Scrooge. 'I'm very glad to hear it.'

'Under the impression that they scarcely furnish Christian cheer of mind or body to the multitude,' returned the gentleman, 'a few of us are endeavouring to raise a fund to buy the Poor some meat and drink, and means of warmth. We choose this time, because it is a time, of all others, when Want is keenly felt, and Abundance rejoices. What shall I put you down for?'

'Nothing!' Scrooge replied.

'You wish to be anonymous?'

'I wish to be left alone,' said Scrooge. ... I help to support the establishments I have mentioned-they cost enough; and those who are badly off must go there.'

'Many can't go there; and many would rather die.'

'If they would rather die,' said Scrooge, 'they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

---from A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens

1 - 20 of 41 Posts