Canadian Money Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
interesting idea, i am unlikely to use it because i would not want to risk the security guarantee

but i can see that this will be a hit with younger people who are more comfortable with the "mint" approach (and who have less money to lose in the event of a security breach of some kind)

i keep wondering why the big bank brokerages don't offer something similar "inside" their own shops (i find tddi's implementation to be incomplete and not very intuitive) ... something like your approach that would allow me to bring in all my assets and account's under one roof

is there some way you could offer your product "inside" the broker or closely associated so that they would extend the security guarantee ?

good luck, it looks cool

·
Registered
14 Posts
interesting idea, i am unlikely to use it because i would not want to risk the security guarantee

is there some way you could offer your product "inside" the broker or closely associated so that they would extend the security guarantee ?

good luck, it looks cool

If you're an investor who only uses Questrade then I think using Wealthica would not void your TOS with them. I learnt this recently after going through their compliance process for our App.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mint user here. Glad I came across this post. Just signed up for Wealthica. Will see how it holds up and I will give my feedback in a couple weeks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
If you use Questrade's API for example that would be perfectly within Questrade's acceptable usage terms. We are also having discussions with many brokers and banks. A lot of interest but it's not something that can be done fast when you deal with financial institutions.

·
Registered
301 Posts
We use our accounting program to enter every transaction and to balance our accounts to the brokers cost balance. We use excel with a number of worksheets to record individual transaction by stocks, but the main reason is to track and record the Income we receive from our investments. Once a year we record the current price of the stocks.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
If you use Questrade's API for example that would be perfectly within Questrade's acceptable usage terms. We are also having discussions with many brokers and banks. A lot of interest but it's not something that can be done fast when you deal with financial institutions.

here you are answering a question from fatcat that was originally asked of another member named stockers. Yet your answer overlaps stockers.

are you stockers, atchooo? my goodness, how many disguised Supporting Vendors does this forum have?

the security issue with any unknown 3rd party provider of financial tracking services is more than daunting. IMHO it's disabling. The data that would be harvested from the backside of such a website would be priceless.

it's surprising to see so many cmffers ready, willing & eager to donate their full-spectrum personal financial data to anonymous internet service providers, who can easily aggregate this data & sell it ...

·
Registered
246 Posts
Hey there out of curiosity, how much time do you spend managing your portfolio and did you create a macro to get the prices from Yahoo?
Yes, I got a macro online but then I build the columns around it. My Excel has 15ish columns, 5-7 that I have to manually fill. So every-time I buy or sell, I need to update the row.

Then from that, I also build a bunch of pivot tables.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes, I got a macro online but then I build the columns around it. My Excel has 15ish columns, 5-7 that I have to manually fill. So every-time I buy or sell, I need to update the row.

Then from that, I also build a bunch of pivot tables.
Ah neat! I assume once you've calculated what to buy, you'd manually go in and make the trades or can the trades be done via your macro?

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
AArgh! Finally locked out of the Free Globeinvestor account. What free options to track are you guys currently using?

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Also, I have no interest in syncing up an online account with any page like mint, looking for simple data entry. Would prefer something online, a little above using an excel sheet to track.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Fund Manager Software

Been using Fund Manager from Beiley Software (fundmanagersoftware.com) for years.

It's a brilliant program with astonishing detail but it is not able to interact with any Canadian brokers at this time (as apparently they the Canadian brokers do not support the types of retrieval methods that dozens of American brokers do. :bi_polo: ) so one must manually update transactions.

It is free to try and is available in several versions. I've used all versions but have settled on Personal version as it is adequate for my purposes.

Always nice to see a Canadian company trying to bring to Canada what is available in other countries and I wish Wealthica good luck. But I'd never divulge the information they require.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I like the topic, just to remind people that they should track their investments and ACB. I record every transaction in an accounting program and ensure the account balances match with my broker account balances. Then I re-enter the transactions in Excel to provide specific information on my investments. I always check that my holdings and number of shares match with the broker accounts.
Personally I would never use an online service, neither would I bother entering the daily prices of my holdings. I just want to know how much I've invested in each stock and account, the number of shares owned and reinvested, how much income my investment is generating and the growth of my income.
Of course one can and should track the information they feel is important.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts