Canadian Money Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
I started investing in the stock market for the first time on April 15.

Bought CTC-A on April 15, sold on June 3, up +35%
Bought OTEX on April 15, sold on June 3, up +14%
Bought WELL on April 27, up +260%
Bought DOO on April 15, up +127%
Bought GSY on April 15, up +132%
Bought GSY on June 4, up +56% (overall +67%)
Bought SCL on June 1, should have sold it one week later at +175%, but still holding it at +64% currently
Bought OVV on May 1, up +95%
Bought CJT on April 27 and June 3, up +63%
Bought ERO on April 20, up +59%
Bought XBC on April 29, up +57%
Bought KXS on April 20 & 23, it was up around +55% until it crashed in November, currently at +30%
Bought VMD on April 20 & 23, it was up around +55% until it crashed in September, currently up +26%
Also bought CSU, BYD, AC, XIT, which are up between +10% and +22%
Bought REAL on September 17, up +7%
Bought most of my KL holdings on its peak at the end of April, down -2%
Bought one bad performer on May 19, DYA is down -28%, but still holding it for fun
Portfolio overall up only +35% because my biggest holdings were the worst performers.
Unannualized XIRR +43%
Annualized XIRR +82%

Reactions: cainvest

·
Registered
5,122 Posts
Still have a small supply of hand sanitizers and wipes.

Only purchase I made on stocks was IIP.UN last month ... set and forget. (And fingers crossed.)

·
Registered
878 Posts
If you think you were too early... I made a big RRSP contribution on February 21 and bought the TSX.

I bought right at the peak, immediately before the crash. The worst possible entry in 2020.
I feel your pain J4B. I was sitting on some cash and I did some buying this spring and those purchases have done well for me although I should have waited another month. This thread only deals with the upside of the crash. Who's willing to talk about the extent that their investments went down from February to March. I'll start with a screen snap I took:

Capture.JPG

·
Registered
15 Posts
Also if ENB goes for a really good run I'll likely trim my position some, getting a little top heavy on them.
What does that mean exactly? When you say you want to lower the %, do you mean increasing the other stocks which will naturally decrease your ENB %; or do you mean selling some ENB and putting that money in other stocks.

Both methods will achieve your goal of lowering ENB % in your portfolio; I'm just wondering which one you'll choose :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Who's willing to talk about the extent that their investments went down from February to March.
I refinanced my mortgage in February and took some money out to renovate some rooms in the house. But since we did 1 room at a time, I invested the money we weren't using because it could have been 6 months before we needed it. So I invested $30K in Feb...... and then March hit. Sure I was down $4K but I held and now it's currently back to where it was! Plus I've been collecting the dividends each month (which were never cut).

Goes to show, buy and hold! and don't invest with money you need in the short term.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Careful reading too much into one's investing abilities, with March and April 2020 as the criteria for picks. I mean, did anyone buy something in late March and actually lose money?

My question would be more towards, are there any stocks still in the crapper that should respond to a non-covid world. Not stocks that have already responded, but stocks that have yet to respond, in any meaningful way.

For example. The shippers. Why are they still struggling. I imagine there are exceptions, but not only should they look forward to the GDP growth from a non-covid world, but with Trump gone, trade relations almost have to improve. Yet, many of these stocks are still where they were in March of 2020.

An example and my favorite is Safe Bulkers (SB on the NYSE). They are probably the lowest cost provider of daily shipping of bulk materials, like grains, iron ore and coal, etc. Their shares you can almost scoop up off the ground right now, like pennies left because it takes too much effort to reach down and pick them up. Have they found a new way to ship this stuff? Have Amazon and Facebook somehow disrupted this industry as well? Not sure you can just fed-ex a 1000 tonnes of wheat, and get free shipping because you are an Amazon prime member, but I have not been keeping up to date.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I did not buy any stocks. Just coupons, bonds and preferreds.

Short term coupons are starting to mature. Short term bonds mostly next year. Essentially safe havens for cash, so no gains or losses with those!
Preferreds bought early in pandemic show healthy capital gains and cash flow.
Our ~60% pre-pandemic equity has almost recovered - energy dragging it down a bit.

Effect of pandemic on economy and markets not over yet.

·
Super Moderator
3,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
What does that mean exactly? When you say you want to lower the %, do you mean increasing the other stocks which will naturally decrease your ENB %; or do you mean selling some ENB and putting that money in other stocks.

Both methods will achieve your goal of lowering ENB % in your portfolio; I'm just wondering which one you'll choose :)
That depends on how my portfolio is doing at the time of the ENB sale. It may work out that a % of the ENB sale goes into fixed income to correct my asset allocation levels. Hard to say right now.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I started investing in the stock market for the first time on April 15.

Bought CTC-A on April 15, sold on June 3, up +35%
Bought OTEX on April 15, sold on June 3, up +14%
Bought WELL on April 27, up +260%
Bought DOO on April 15, up +127%
Bought GSY on April 15, up +132%
Bought GSY on June 4, up +56% (overall +67%)
Bought SCL on June 1, should have sold it one week later at +175%, but still holding it at +64% currently
Bought OVV on May 1, up +95%
Bought CJT on April 27 and June 3, up +63%
Bought ERO on April 20, up +59%
Bought XBC on April 29, up +57%
Bought KXS on April 20 & 23, it was up around +55% until it crashed in November, currently at +30%
Bought VMD on April 20 & 23, it was up around +55% until it crashed in September, currently up +26%
Also bought CSU, BYD, AC, XIT, which are up between +10% and +22%
Bought REAL on September 17, up +7%
Bought most of my KL holdings on its peak at the end of April, down -2%
Bought one bad performer on May 19, DYA is down -28%, but still holding it for fun
Portfolio overall up only +35% because my biggest holdings were the worst performers.
Unannualized XIRR +43%
Annualized XIRR +82%
Your income tax will take a little longer doing this year :)

·
Registered
616 Posts
Your income tax will take a little longer doing this year :)
All TFSA, I'm refilling it after I withdrew all of it to buy a property. Just small money, I'm not playing with 6 figures yet unfortunately so it's all TFSA with more than $70k room available.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Hopefully your number of trades stays below CRA's radar.
Hopefully because I didn't day trade anything, not even swing trade except 4-5 stocks which were bought and sold a month after and 3 stocks which were bought and sold a few months after.

Not making a living income from that $1k profit that may represent for those trades.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
A year ago I bought stock in two companies, Johnson and Johnson and CVS pharmacies. I chose them because both were good sound dividend paying companies whose stock was on the bargain counter because of temporary problems. J&J was facing a lawsuit which had just been settled, and CVS had a little indigestion from buying another company that was proving harder to assimilate than they expected. Both appeared to have solved their problems and their stock was moving back up.

These were long term investments I planned to keep forever. Then Covid hit and all the news was bad, with businesses being hard hit by quarantines and closures, and possible shortages of workers and products. I figured it was a good time to stay the course as drug companies should do well in a pandemic if anyone did.

What happened was, both went up slightly then went down, and did not come back up with the rest of the market. By summer I had a small loss on the CVS and a small gain on the J&J while my so called "speculative" trades in TQQQ were going like gangbusters. So I sold the CVS and J&J. Once bitten twice shy as they say. This made me more cautious than ever about about so called long term investments.

·
Registered
15 Posts
A year ago I bought stock in two companies, Johnson and Johnson and CVS pharmacies....... These were long term investments I planned to keep forever. .....This made me more cautious than ever about about so called long term investments.
I suppose the term "long term" is subjective. Personally, long term means 5+ years but I use it to mean 10+. If you have a good blue chip company, 1 year is not enough for a falling stock to recover or surpass what it was. Keep track and I would be willing to bet you'll regret selling in 3 years; and during that time, you're missing out on their dividends.

But I am just saying what I would do. Nobody really knows until it's hindsight.

·
Registered
15 Posts
"How are your initial pandemic purchases doing?"

All up! I bought Disney, Apple, few Canadian Banks, Enbridge, Bell to name a few (all blue chip companies). Now my biggest problem is, I know I should keep investing but it's hard to buy at these prices when I've been buying at such low prices. Champagne problems!

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
A lot of high percentage gains quoted in this thread. But as usual percentages don't tell the whole story.

30% on a $100k investment is worth bragging about. But 30% on a $1000 investment less the in/out trading fees, not so much ;)

What would be more interesting, would be percentage change in total portfolio value since Jan 1 2020 vs present value. With portfolio value rated as A >$1Million, B $100k-$1Million, C >$100K. Value should be adjusted for deposits/withdrawals. Equity/Fixed Income ratio also useful.

I realize not everyone may want to share this information! We are in first group, Eq/FI about 62/38 and down about 2.5%. But dividend flow up!

I haven't bought any stocks except for adding a minimal number of CHE.UN just to use up a small cash balance in RRIF. Will have better figure after year end. That is when the bragging/crying usually happens :)

·
Super Moderator
3,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
A lot of high percentage gains quoted in this thread. But as usual percentages don't tell the whole story.

30% on a $100k investment is worth bragging about. But 30% on a $1000 investment less the in/out trading fees, not so much ;)
The point wasn't about bragging about big $ amounts, just if you got to take part in the market sale and how those investments turned out. My total amount was mainly new investment money and was used to rebalance, which obviously went into stocks starting in March.

·
Registered
15 Posts
They could still brag and be proud of a $300 gain. We all need to start somewhere; they wont get $3,000 gains without first getting $300 :)

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
I suppose the term "long term" is subjective. Personally, long term means 5+ years but I use it to mean 10+. If you have a good blue chip company, 1 year is not enough for a falling stock to recover or surpass what it was. Keep track and I would be willing to bet you'll regret selling in 3 years; and during that time, you're missing out on their dividends.

But I am just saying what I would do. Nobody really knows until it's hindsight.
I meant to hang onto them for the rest of my life but if you think I am going to sit here and watch my hard earned money melt away and do nothing about it you have another think coming.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts