Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So holding off a little on my yearly investment buying this year, Mar instead of Feb, has mostly paid off.

Picked up some good gains on the following,
MAW104
CM
BCE
MFC

A few are not performing as well, still positive but much slower to recover,
ENB
BNS

Hopefully with the vaccine news the markets will return to Feb 2020 levels or better soon.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I bought quite a bit in early April with the plan to hold until Dec 2021 or until it hit a predetermined price. Almost all of them have already hit their price and mostly been sold.
Biggest holding to smallest.
VIAC
MGM
TECK.B
CAE
F
DIS
BMO

Maybe 60% gain overall?

·
Registered
193 Posts
So holding off a little on my yearly investment buying this year, Mar instead of Feb, has mostly paid off.

Picked up some good gains on the following,
MAW104
CM
BCE
MFC

A few are not performing as well, still positive but much slower to recover,
ENB
BNS

Hopefully with the vaccine news the markets will return to Feb 2020 levels or better soon.
Same purchases, But I ditched BNS and MFC.

·
Super Moderator
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did a few small short term trades as well and have already sold them off. The ones I listed above I'll be keeping for longer terms, just built up a few divy cash flow stocks for retirement.

·
Super Moderator
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Same purchases, But I ditched BNS and MFC.
I'm keeping on eye on both of those and will compare their recovery to the boarder CDN market. I was a little surprised BNS is so slow but hopefully will gain some momentum soon. MFC was kind of a wildcard for me and have no issue cutting it loose if they dive or cut their dividend.

Edit: Also if ENB goes for a really good run I'll likely trim my position some, getting a little top heavy on them.

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
Okay. I swapped out IPL for PPL in mid March before the IPL dividend cut. Felt that IPL's revenue stream was going to take a hit (NGL processing revenue and lower oil sands shipping volumes).

Recently, I sold TRI at a then market high on Oct 13 (lucky timing) and then bought half position in BAM.A on Oct 28 (lucky timing). Have done nothing else with the portfolio and no further plans except I now wish I had bought a full position in BAM.A. C'est la vie......

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
CNQ $11 on 19 Mar up 154%
SU $15 on 19 Mar up 35% (also bought at $15 a month ago and up 35% lol)
HWO $0.54 on 7 April up 95%
WEF $0.64 on 7 Apr up 39%
TECK.B $10.42 on 24 April up 86%
GSY $35.50 on 24 Apr up 142% - SOLD

There are a few other trades but this is typical. I also sold most of my bonds and bought the indexes in April. I am likely holding most of this until next summer, but I did sell GSY and MX to add to SU/CNQ/WEF positions and to keep some cash.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'm keeping on eye on both of those and will compare their recovery to the boarder CDN market. I was a little surprised BNS is so slow but hopefully will gain some momentum soon. MFC was kind of a wildcard for me and have no issue cutting it loose if they dive or cut their dividend.

Edit: Also if ENB goes for a really good run I'll likely trim my position some, getting a little top heavy on them.
Kinda regret selling MFC, it seemed to have taken off a bit.
I also got CNR in April that is currently my best performer.

I'm same boat with ENB, I have 500qty that were purchased pre-covid ($48, ouch!)

·
Super Moderator
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Kinda regret selling MFC, it seemed to have taken off a bit.
I also got CNR in April that is currently my best performer.

I'm same boat with ENB, I have 500qty that were purchased pre-covid ($48, ouch!)
CNR was a good choice!

Think my highest ENB is ~$42 from a while back. At least we get a reasonable div payment, even at those prices, until it climbs back up.

·
Registered
128 Posts
With RRSPs and TFSA, portfolio is seeing it's highest number yet. Pretty shocked since everything is still in limbo.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Most of my pandemic trades were index ETFs, QQQ, VFV and HXT plus other stuff including CGL-C.TO and SVR-C.TO.

Took advantage of the September dip too and purchased ZEB, REI.UN and DOL.

So far these pandemic trades are up 19% in my RRSP and 18% in my taxable account.

Overall, all my investment accounts have fully recovered and passed their February highs.
But we'll see in they go down again on any bad news about the vaccines or about the US election transition or something else.

·
Registered
18,288 Posts
The only trade I made in the March/April timeframe was some tax loss selling. I'm still very proud of this one because I did the swap on the exact day the stock market hit the lowest point (and posted about it here... thanks to everyone who helped me with that).

On March 23, I sold a non-registered position in SPY at a capital loss. Simultaneously, I bought SCHX. This is now up 65%

So I've effectively preserved my position in the S&P 500 while grabbing a capital loss, to eliminate some other CG taxes.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I started (too early perhaps) with CNR, and added banks RY, CM, TD, BNS throughout the Spring and Summer to already established positions. Best purchases were MAW105 and on March 21st low. Only mistake I made was not to buy more!. Last purchase was JNJ on Oct 28th pre-election low. CNR was a star.

·
Registered
18,288 Posts
I started (too early perhaps) with CNR, and added banks RY, CM, TD, BNS throughout the Spring and Summer to already established positions. Best purchases were MAW105 and on March 21st low. Only mistake I made was not to buy more!. Last purchase was JNJ on Oct 28th pre-election low. CNR was a star.
If you think you were too early... I made a big RRSP contribution on February 21 and bought the TSX.

I bought right at the peak, immediately before the crash. The worst possible entry in 2020.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts