Canadian Money Forum banner

How are you investing your money these days?

• Cash: Mattress sounds best these days.

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Bonds: Deflation is just round the corner.

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Stocks: Stocks for the long run, right?

Votes: 18 62.1%
  • Gold: The world is going to pieces.

Votes: 2 6.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
Too bad we can't select more than one option :eek:
My personaly strategy is to keep looking for deals - either bonds offering attractive yield with reasonable credit safety or stocks that hover close to my target price.
Very slim pickings these days, even with the 3 figure crashes.
Most of the strong dividend payers that I'm ogling are still above my buy range.
I'd be interested to know what others are considering buying these days (or actively buying).

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My personaly strategy is to keep looking for deals - either bonds offering attractive yield with reasonable credit safety or stocks that hover close to my target price.
Very slim pickings these days, even with the 3 figure crashes.
Most of the strong dividend payers that I'm ogling are still above my buy range.
I'd be interested to know what others are considering buying these days (or actively buying).
I recently purchased VEA only because it is the one asset class that is well below my target. Other than that, I haven't been buying anything.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
+1. I abstained. :rolleyes:

My investment strategy has not changed. I continue to accumulate cash, bonds and stocks. My adjustments over the past few years have kept my asset allocation steady and on-track with my plan :p

We've been accumulating cash lately, not because of divergence from 'the plan' but to fund a year+ of mat-leave for my wife, and a sizeable RESP contribution right up front.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Although I have made a recent foray into dividend stock investing, I hold over 100k in a GIC, another 40k in plain ol' savings accounts. I don't have a huge appetite for risk.

Good thing is, the final two years of my three year GIC are paying out 4.25% and 5.25% respectively - in today's environment, I'm tickled with these returns.

·
Banned
171 Posts
I would have voted "stocks for the long run" in the past, but after cumulative insults (the 2008 crash), and now the Euro crisis, I'm throwing in the towel for this lifetime and adopting a different approach.

I continue my "cut and run" away from stocks. I've been selling back my Cdn and US Index investments and dumping into:
- Precious Metal funds
- Real Return Bond Funds
- Hi-Yield Bond Funds
- Money market (as a resting point until I decide what else to do)
I feel a need to protect against both deflation, then hyperinflation hence the diversity...

My eye is on China and some non-NorthAmerican/Non-European funds for international exposure.

As an aside,
I think gold should have a different description in the poll- it's not as much about the world coming to an end, and more to do with the fact that gold has a natural balance point (vs. the Dow especially) that the governments countinue to delay by monkeying with interest rates and bailouts.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
I chose gold the world is going to pieces. But really it is debt going to pieces until we can start over again with some kind of sound world currency or currencies without all the debt.

Of course I do not hold 100% gold but more like 20% gold which is a high holding for most people. One could hold all cash and bonds but if the central banks were able to print enough money you could be in trouble.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Some cash, some stocks, and I'm sitting on some gold/precious metals. I've kind of temporarily given up on bonds, no idea why, just haven't been purchasing/selling them recently.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I only have a few thousand in a crappy company RRSP, but i moved it to cash. If i did have any real money to use i would have it in gold for the short term to appreciate whilst people turn to it as currencies errode.

I would hopefully then buy back into the TSX when the dow jones hits 4,500 :D

·
Registered
759 Posts
I haven't put much in lately.

I'm in a fairly conservative asset allocation right now:

15% cash
50% bonds
10% REIT fund
25% equities

I'm still hoping for about a 30% correction and then I'll add some more money into the pot. P/E10 is still not very favourable and I am waiting for the stock market to price in an upcoming recession.

·
Registered
107 Posts
All I've done this year is DCA into existing positions with cash, my LOC or proceeds from sales of stocks moving past my targeted allocations.

It's super boring dividend investing at its best. I'm earning income that I can put towards buying more shares in a tax efficient way and just slowing gaining ground one share at a time.

This is an environment where investing is tough psychologically because you FEEL like you should be doing more. Investors often tamper with their portfolios (switching stocks, buy, selling, etc) simply because they feel like they need to turnover something to be productive.

This is when an investor, IMO, is most productive; when you stick to your plan and profit from patience.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
During the last crash, I was thankful for my 40 percent bond allocation as it saved me from a bigger drop in my portfolio. However, the prospect of another steep decline in equities doesn't fill me with the same confidence in bonds. Now, I am hearing and reading a lot about the possibility of significant drops in bond yields as interest rates start to rise.

And so, what rudder do we use to stay afloat in the potentially rough seas ahead--cash or GIC's?

Some are suggesting that we face "several years" of anemic returns for stocks as the economy struggles along with little prospect for a meaningful recovery for quite some time to come.

Where should we place our confidence if not in equities and/or bonds?

We have just experience a single week where stock markets have declined about 5 percent in value!!:(

What's in store for the weeks and months ahead?????

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
What's in store for the weeks and months ahead?????
Ask a question like that and you will get a range of answers. Ask me what the future holds? Beats me!

But here is what I am counting on. I think long bonds might go down in market value by 10% in the next year. Equities probably have a bit further to go down, maybe another 20%-30%, although they have already corrected part way down.

My thinking is that rising interest rates will force long bonds down to remain competitive but more than a 10% correction is unlikely.

Equities are tougher to call but the economy is slowing down right now and eventually the prices willl have to reflect the reduced revenues.

I still hold some individual growth stocks but they are currently a small percent of my overall holdings. I sat out most of the rebound during the last 16 months. But it was lost oportunity not lost portfolio value.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I voted Cash. My portfolio is very diversified and I'm glad to have a buffer against the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune. I am maintaining my current positions in equities, bonds, preferred shares, precious metals, venture capital and real estate, but I am putting new savings into cash. I'm just not brave enough to assume that equity returns will ever get back to where they were a decade ago. And I am going to need some of that cash over the next few years. I will wait till the next interest rate hike and then biuld a GIC ladder that includes the best 5 year GIC I can find.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
I was just looking at a chart of how the S&P/TSX Composite Index has been performing. Basically, after last week, it is back to where it was last July and so we have had an entire year with no growth in this index.:mad:

As for the S&P 500 Index, it is down 8.30% YTD and the iShares Index ETF has a negative 3.06% return over the past FIVE years as of May 31.

The GIC investors win again!!!:(

1 - 20 of 82 Posts