Canadian Money Forum banner

121 - 140 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
13,560 Posts
"Canada — the land mass directly to our north and our single largest trading partner, with whom we share the longest international border in the world — took a dramatic move toward legitimately dangerous authoritarianism. "

On Monday, the country’s prime minister, Justin Trudeau, outlined his government’s new corona regulations. Canadians hoping to return to their country must be tested before and after takeoff, he said, adding: "If your test results come back positive, you’ll need to immediately quarantine in designated government facilities. This is not optional."

"Designated government facilities." When this happens in other countries, and it does, we call those internment camps. Because this is Canada we’re talking about, a place we assume is passive and polite and Anglo to the point of parody, no one thinks to use that term.
People will write books about the evils of the great Canadian Covid Internment Camps of 2021. Family members kept from other family members for literally dozens of hours, confined to a room with two queen beds, a TV and room service.

Go ahead and eat this crap up gibor. I'm sure you think it is just as bad as the Nazi ghettos during WW2.

·
Banned
10,886 Posts
People will write books about the evils of the great Canadian Covid Internment Camps of 2021. Family members kept from other family members for literally dozens of hours, confined to a room with two queen beds, a TV and room service.

Go ahead and eat this crap up gibor. I'm sure you think it is just as bad as the Nazi ghettos during WW2.
Please don't insert words into my mouth ! I've never compared Canadian Internment Camps to Nazi ghettos during WW2. But Internment Camps are Internment Camps and it's " legitimately dangerous authoritarianism "

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
I agree that requiring Canadians to pay money & be detained for days against their will should incur repercussions, hopefully mini Mussolini will end up having to resign or at least send more CERB to basement dwelling voters.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Can we agree that restrictions should be based on the science. If so what is the purpose of a hotel detention for a fully vaccinated person? oh by the way what is the government doing with the 6000 plus who test positive on daily basis? are they put into giovernment detention centres?

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Can we agree that restrictions should be based on the science. If so what is the purpose of a hotel detention for a fully vaccinated person? oh by the way what is the government doing with the 6000 plus who test positive on daily basis? are they put into giovernment detention centres?
yes it should be based on science, but since Trudeau hasn't done that from the beginning, why would he start now?

We implemented a mandatory quarantine for travellers, they don't like it, they can wait.
They had more than enough time to return earlier.

·
Registered
13,560 Posts
Can we agree that anyone caught falsifying vaccination records should be charged with fraud, and prosecuted to the full extent of the law? And anyone breaking quarantine as per the quarantine act be punished harshly, in accordance with the risk to which they are putting the community?

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Does Fox also think that New Zealand and Australia are dangerous authoritarians for running their quarantine hotels?

·
Banned
10,886 Posts
Everyone can see youtube videos about mess happening in "quarantine hotels ".... there are much more chances of spreading virus there

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
Can we agree that anyone caught falsifying vaccination records should be charged with fraud, and prosecuted to the full extent of the law? And anyone breaking quarantine as per the quarantine act be punished harshly, in accordance with the risk to which they are putting the community?
Those actually finished their vaccine should have no reason to quarantine. I agree about the records thing...I'll be laminating my CDC card as in America passport ID's won't fly....look at their reaction to requiring ID to vote lol.

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
A buddy of mine (Special forces) recently went to Australia to do some consulting with their military...he said he was in a motel for 2 weeks living on cheese sandwiches...when finally let out he got to work only 8 days when all of Queensland was locked down again for only 4 Covid cases. He flew home at that point.

I think Australia will have lock downs forever. Maybe some Canadians want to live that way...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
That is the law.I guess repeating that fact helps.

·
Registered
13,560 Posts
That is the law.I guess repeating that fact helps.
Many people here wailing about the government executing their powers under the quarantine act.

Law and its enforcement are separate things. Canada has in many ways been too lax in enforcing the law and leaving loopholes for some to exploit. See Eder's comment about the border being open. This is basically true. The government was asking people not to travel. Many people did anyway. Then people start moaning about the government adding friction to the process because they didn't go along with the government's request to minimize travel.

We have an infection budget (amount of exposure that can be supported while keeping infection rate stable/declining) that we can spend in different ways. One way is to keep travel unrestricted and convenient. One way we can spend it is being able to keep kids in school. Or have patios open (with associated intoxication and indoor exposure using the facilities). Or keep essential workplaces like factories and warehouses operating at capacity. If we spend in one area, we have to cut back in others or we blow out our ICU capacity and people start dying.

·
Registered
7,052 Posts
It is about logical balance. The government imposes restrictions. If they are effective, the electors support them. If they prove totally ineffective, a knowledgeable electorate will,punish them. What the snowbird ban is proving is that the electorate are ignorant sheep.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
It is about logical balance. The government imposes restrictions. If they are effective, the electors support them. If they prove totally ineffective, a knowledgeable electorate will,punish them. What the snowbird ban is proving is that the electorate are ignorant sheep.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
The Justice Centre for Constitutional Law reported another crazy border situation. A mother, a grandmother and 4 young children returned to Canada by land. They encountered some vehicle problems so upon their arrival their test results were 2 hours outside the 72 hour requirement. The agents told them they had zero tolerance for non-compliance and placed them in detention and gave them tickets for $18,000. Fortunately the crown attorney dropped the charges at the steps to the court. In some ways I wish it had went before a judge .A judge with some sense of justice and common sense would have made the governments actions extremely painful for the government. This whole process has become a ridiculous gong show. If the public supports this sort of crap I fear for the future of this country.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
Many people here wailing about the government executing their powers under the quarantine act.

Law and its enforcement are separate things. Canada has in many ways been too lax in enforcing the law and leaving loopholes for some to exploit. See Eder's comment about the border being open. This is basically true. The government was asking people not to travel. Many people did anyway. Then people start moaning about the government adding friction to the process because they didn't go along with the government's request to minimize travel.

We have an infection budget (amount of exposure that can be supported while keeping infection rate stable/declining) that we can spend in different ways. One way is to keep travel unrestricted and convenient. One way we can spend it is being able to keep kids in school. Or have patios open (with associated intoxication and indoor exposure using the facilities). Or keep essential workplaces like factories and warehouses operating at capacity. If we spend in one area, we have to cut back in others or we blow out our ICU capacity and people start dying.
depending on which section he was is charged under the Criminal Code contemplates jail up to a maximum of 10 or 14 years. So forging or using fake documents is not considered a minor offence. I am no fan of Trudeau's generous views on sentencing but there is little that I can do about that. It was basically the wise people in Ontario, Atlantic Canada and Quebec who gave this guy the keys to power.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
121 - 140 of 144 Posts