Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw an article this morning saying a judge would rule on the legality of these forced hotel detentions today. I haven't been able to find the original story or any further news on this matter. The Centre for Constitutional Freedoms had made an application to the court for an injunction. The lawyer for the Centre thought the judge had been receptive to their presentation. Did anyone else see anything on this matter?

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
I saw an article this morning saying a judge would rule on the legality of these forced hotel detentions today. I haven't been able to find the original story or any further news on this matter. The Centre for Constitutional Freedoms had made an application to the court for an injunction. The lawyer for the Centre thought the judge had been receptive to their presentation. Did anyone else see anything on this matter?
Would be an interesting argument, I don't even have an idea how you could argue they're illegal under any law.
The constitution is very clear that this type of reasonable restriction is permitted.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would be an interesting argument, I don't even have an idea how you could argue they're illegal under any law.
The constitution is very clear that this type of reasonable restriction is permitted.
[/QUOTE The Charter of Rights is pretty clear about a few matters like the right to legal counsel, the right to bail and judicial review and protections against arrest and confinement. I didn't say I wanted to argue these points and I simply asked whether anyone had come across any news on the judges ruling. If you have some news on this it would be appreciated. You have expressed your legal opinion. I would like to know what the court might say.

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
I guess the biggest reason the detentions are silly is that after 3 days whether you retest negative or positive you still return home to finish your quarantine. It is pure punishment for travelling, not an effort to control Covid.

Hopefully the judge throws these useless rules out, Hawaii has shown how travelling is safe. Meanwhile Canada goes medieval on its citizens for zero gain while the thousands of imported temporary workers from high risk countries do not have to put up with Trudeau's cockroach gulag.

When questioned by Michelle Rempel our Libs have been unable to explain how this program has had any merit. No surprise.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
I think that this is just "theater".

The reality is the Federal government never took closing the borders or the quarantine seriously. They're just trying to blunt the critics.

·
Super Moderator
3,932 Posts
The reality is the Federal government never took closing the borders or the quarantine seriously. They're just trying to blunt the critics.
Yup, they should have closed all international airports for non-essential passengers except Alert and Resolute Bay.

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
Btw heres instructions to join the lawsuit if you are returning to Canada and not happy about being part of the 3 day Trudope gulag.

To be considered for the action against the federal government on forced quarantine and PCR tests, send us an email <[email protected]>; with all of the following questions answered:

• Your name, address, phone number and email address
  • When do you expect to be traveling back to Canada?
  • When did you leave?
  • Have you already been taken into custody or subject to quarantine? Give us the details of what happened, where you were taken, how long you were held, and anything that was said to you.
  • Tell us about yourself and why you have traveled (or will be travelling), if it was for work, and who was traveling with you (ie, spouse, partner, children, parents).
  • Please tell us if you have any specific health, religious, family, lifestyle, or work concerns that would be affected if you were subject to federal mandatory quarantine (Examples: I am returning and have a surgery date. I have special dietary needs due to religion or allergies.)
  • Are you prepared to be part of our legal action, which means being named on our application and provide us with your written story in affidavit form telling of your experiences coming into Canada?
  • Do you understand that our services are free of charge and that we rely on private donations only?
  • PLEASE USE SUBJECT: Join Travel Lawsuit

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The judge denied the injunction. Their will be a court hearing to decide the legality of the hotel detentions.

·
Registered
329 Posts
What's the constitutionality of negligently importing and spreading a disease into your country especially when you already know the efforts being made to control it?

·
Registered
13,655 Posts
I guess the biggest reason the detentions are silly is that after 3 days whether you retest negative or positive you still return home to finish your quarantine. It is pure punishment for travelling, not an effort to control Covid.

Hopefully the judge throws these useless rules out, Hawaii has shown how travelling is safe. Meanwhile Canada goes medieval on its citizens for zero gain while the thousands of imported temporary workers from high risk countries do not have to put up with Trudeau's cockroach gulag.

When questioned by Michelle Rempel our Libs have been unable to explain how this program has had any merit. No surprise.
Deterring travel is an effort to control Covid.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Btw heres instructions to join the lawsuit if you are returning to Canada and not happy about ...
Not happy?

Sounds like a bunch of bad drivers not happy with stricter traffic enforcement .

Who cares about your victims if they get in the way of your right to be irresponsible.

If you're not happy with the 3-day wait for your test results, don't travel. Save your money.

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
Some of us have differing views...so far thats still OK in Trudeau's Canada. btw this law doesn't affect me personally but does affect many of my friends.

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
What's the constitutionality of negligently importing and spreading a disease into your country especially when you already know the efforts being made to control it?
You mean to say all the testing we have arrived with and vaccines we took still have us importing disease? I guess we are being lied to by scientists.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Other countries are lifting restrictions for people who've been vaccinated. There are discussions about vaccine passports. Most seniors returning from the USA will be fully vaccinated. According to the CDC people who have been vaccinated are not a risk of transmitting covid and are not asymptomatic. That appears to be the direction and position of the international community. Will be interested if this issue will be argued at the hearing.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Other countries are lifting restrictions for people who've been vaccinated. There are discussions about vaccine passports. Most seniors returning from the USA will be fully vaccinated. According to the CDC people who have been vaccinated are not a risk of transmitting covid and are not asymptomatic. That appears to be the direction and position of the international community. Will be interested if this issue will be argued at the hearing.
No one seems to want to respond to this reality. The CSA estimates 300,000 snowbirds went south this winter and I expect that almost everyone of them was fully vaccinated. The CDC says there is no need to quarantine a vaccinated person who might have been in contact with a person who had covid. If true should such individuals be subject to hotel detentions? if yes can we get a rational explanation.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Yup, they should have closed all international airports for non-essential passengers except Alert and Resolute Bay.
Except most of the initial importation came from residents coming back from the US after spring break. Part of the problem was the non-enforcement of a strict quarantine like they did in New Zealand. But look at the push back with the half-hearted measure now after a year. Imagine trying to implement when the situation was no where near as dire.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
I wouldn't want to return to the Harper days when you were an enemy of the state if you disagreed with him.
Sorry, it's Trudeau who wants to criminalize disagreement.

Remember it is the Trudeau government that was spreading disinformation, while they were talking about criminalizing disinformation.
Specifically they didn't recommend masks and they also said there was no reason for travel restrictions.

Personally I'd rather a free debate where we can freely discuss and debate the issue, rather than criminalizing one side. But authoritarians like Trudeau are scared of the truth.
That's why they want to shut down debate, because they know their position can't stand scrutiny. "The debate is over" is code for "I know I'll lose if you get to talk."

However I'm open to learn, please support your claim that Harper deemed anyone an enemy of the state for disagreeing with him.

1 - 20 of 176 Posts