Canadian Money Forum banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
$199 annual fee and only 2% cash back up to $25k?.. I thought there was a decent free Brim card

So far I have 2 US domiciled free 0 fx cash back cards. Once my US credit history matures there should be even better options
If you click on the 'card comparison chart' here m3s you will see the choices. https://brimfinancial.com/ The no annual fee and no 25K limit card only gives you 1% and also does not provide some of the other 'perks' like some of the insurance coverage. ie. rental car coverage, etc.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Any reason why you need the Brim World Elite and not the free Brim card? https://brimfinancial.com/

I would think that the 1% back would be fine enough, particularly if you were previously using the Hometrust Visa which had the same rebate rate.
Well I guess you could look at it that way bgc_fan but I would ask you why you would want to settle for either when there are better choices available to you. If you are going to get a new card, you might as well get the one that offers you the most don't you think?

Personally, there is no way I would be settling for a 1% cashback card when there are better choices available. And that says nothing about the other 'perks' like the various insurance coverages some give.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Yes the payment is received but not registered, so any charges that are on payment date are rejected even though the payment shows up retroactively on that date.
Issues with monthly spend limits and when a debit or credit is posted, pending holds, etc. are all simply indicators that your monthly credit limit is not in line with your monthly spending and the card issuers systems of posting.

Some people try to get a credit limit that equals roughly 2 months average spending on their card. They see that as a solution but that is not enough if you run into larger pending charges for example as ian has mentioned. It may be enough when you are at home but may not be when you travel. The card we use when travelling has a $35k credit limit which is roughly equal to our annual travel budget.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Well I guess you could look at it that way bgc_fan but I would ask you why you would want to settle for either when there are better choices available to you. If you are going to get a new card, you might as well get the one that offers you the most don't you think?

Personally, there is no way I would be settling for a 1% cashback card when there are better choices available. And that says nothing about the other 'perks' like the various insurance coverages some give.
Considering that the thread is titled Home Trust Preferred Visa and we are looking for comparisons, then looking at the 1% cashback would appear to be the comparable choice and not the 2%.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Occasionally on our HT account we have a charge in the pending file AND a charge for the same transaction on the ledger. More often it happens with hotel charges however we have one this morning for $75 bus fare. Sometimes these remain in the pending file for 5-7 days.

This is why we will get our 15K limit increased when we return home. Foreign cash advances hit the pending file immediately. It typically takes 2 days to clear but the pending amount is cancelled at the same time the transaction moves to the ledger. No problem on these.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Ian, I can see your need to increase your limit. And as posted before, we plan on keeping our limit low. As usual we decide these things based on our personal usage. But it is good to read how others who actually have the HT card are using it.

We use our card amongst other things for gas and restaurants. Many times, here in usa, the card has to be given to the waiter or sales clerk. On two occasions over past 16 years, our Mastercard number was used fraudulently. M/C caught these and refunded us. Not sure if Hometrust have as robust security as m/c.

A friend lost his wallet while getting in his car in Miami. He cancelled his cards within 2 hours. By that time, the card was first used for a small purchase, and then to buy an airline ticket. Flight had gone by time this was discovered. He eventually was refunded but it took some time and his card was not usable.

When we had the Amazon visa, it was blocked twice for suspicious activity

$3000 covers our monthly non grocery expenses and if for any reason our card became unusable, we have our US$ m/c and a Scotia Momentum visa.

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
Many times, here in usa, the card has to be given to the waiter or sales clerk. On two occasions over past 16 years, our Mastercard number was used fraudulently. M/C caught these and refunded us. Not sure if Hometrust have as robust security as m/c.
We no longer give our cards to servers. When we indicate the chip, they understand and bring the tableside device. It just makes theft that much harder. Once in a while in Europe, they ask me to go to the cash where their reader is.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
We no longer give our cards to servers. When we indicate the chip, they understand and bring the tableside device. It just makes theft that much harder. Once in a while in Europe, they ask me to go to the cash where their reader is.
Problem here is that not all restaurants have the portable readers. Until recently they did not have them at all in this area (Carolinas).

Many gas stations won't accept the postal code trick when using the HT card, and we have to go inside. Sometimes we can use the card ourselves in their reader, but at others, the clerk takes the card. Once you don't have it in your hand, anything can happen.

M/C called us once when our card number was being used at a Walmart, somewhere in the mid-west (we had never been there). We established that whoever had that card number could only have got it from a gas station in a small town on I95 when we stopped for gas months earlier.

We take all the usual precautions, but even still, having the low credit limit on our HT card limits any losses.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Many gas stations won't accept the postal code trick when using the HT card, and we have to go inside. Sometimes we can use the card ourselves in their reader, but at others, the clerk takes the card. Once you don't have it in your hand, anything can happen.
Yea I've posted on here the postal code trick doesn't work in many places in the states. I think it's more common in the tourist locations

I've found the US domiciled cards handy for several reasons. The free TD US cash back card is also 0 fx and the debit is good as well

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
We will not let our credit cards out of our sight...at home or while travelling. We are very careful as to which ATMs to use and to the time of day.

There have been several times in the last month when servers have asked us to go up to the cash are in order to use our credit cards. We are happy to do this.

We also get notifications. Just this AM we got a notification of a $75 charge that we incurred yesterday on HT.

I like that feature when we are travelling. We have something similar on our C1 MC.

·
Registered
10,517 Posts
Problem here is that not all restaurants have the portable readers. Until recently they did not have them at all in this area (Carolinas).

Many gas stations won't accept the postal code trick when using the HT card, and we have to go inside. Sometimes we can use the card ourselves in their reader, but at others, the clerk takes the card. Once you don't have it in your hand, anything can happen ...
With bogus machines on the desk that capture the data before sending it on to the real machine and devices being attached overtop of the real device ... the card does not have to leave one's hand to be scammed.

https://globalnews.ca/news/2785209/man-thwarts-fake-atm-card-reader-scam-while-vacationing-in-europe/
https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-spot-and-avoid-credit-card-skimmers

Cheers

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
With bogus machines on the desk that capture the data before sending it on to the real machine and devices being attached overtop of the real device ... the card does not have to leave one's hand to be scammed.

https://globalnews.ca/news/2785209/man-thwarts-fake-atm-card-reader-scam-while-vacationing-in-europe/
https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-spot-and-avoid-credit-card-skimmers

Cheers
This can happen at ATMs too. So what would you suggest Cut up the cards and carry cash? Would that be safer?

Best thing to carry is a degree of CCCS.

Note 1. CCCS (Credit Card Common Sense)

·
Registered
10,517 Posts
Be alert and watch for inconsistencies ... and probably the suggestions in the linked articles to check for the more detectable skimming devices.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I watched a program on tv last night about a scam called 'sim swapping.' You can find an explanation here: https://www.google.com/search?q=scam+sim+swapping&rlz=1C1CHZL_enCA704CA704&oq=scam+sim+swapping&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l2.9643j1j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Basically, they take over your smartphone and can then access everything you use it for including your bank accounts. All of these kinds of issues arise from our dependency on digital devices and the internet. If you're 'plugged in', you're vulnerable.

'Sim swappers', particularly like to target people who have cryptocurrency. So when someone posts in a forum such as this one that they hold crptocurrency, they put a big targt on their back. https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/hackers-steal-millions-from-bay-area-residents-by-targeting-cell-phones-in-sim-swap-scams/189712/

So while you are worrying about your credit card security, what are you doing about your smartphone security? Here is the program I watched, I think it is worth watching if you use a smartphone for anything other than making phone calls. https://www.mtv.ca/shows/true-life-crime/episode/1900218/the-5-million-phone-hack/

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Sim swapping targets accounts that use sms codes for "2 step authentication"

When the Canadian banks started doing this I was immediately posting here this is a very bad idea - it was long ago known vulnerability for crypto brokerage accounts. Good crypto accounts, and most online accounts for that matter let you setup true "2 factor authentication" rather than unsecure sms codes

Crypto should ideally be stored in a secure hardware wallet not left online "protected" by sms codes like Cdn banks

·
Registered
16,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
I just spoke with the Canadian call center for HT visa, and they said the maximum number of daily transactions has been increased to 12

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Skimmers have been found everywhere, including on in branch ATM’s. The only thing one can do is exercise common sense. This is an ever changing cat and mouse game between the thieves and the financial institutions.

We are Ok with a limit on the number of daily transactions. I cannot recall reaching ten per day over years of business travel and extended personal travel. Even in OZ last year where we paid for everything I do not think we reached even six. But....we are not shoppers, well at least I am not.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Heads up. My HT Visa card was compromised, and someone made some online purchases in the US. The only reason I noticed is that it said my statement was ready and I noticed charges on it right away.I use another card daily, and this Visa is my backup card. I had to call and report it stolen, then call another department to dispute the charges. I'll have to wait 15 business days and the new card should show up, and charges dropped.

I logged online and I see you can now setup an alert to email you as soon as any transaction exceeds an amount you set. I use a different card daily, and it has an app that notifies of me of purchases right away, and I can lock the card right away from my phone. HT Visa doesn't have those. I checked all of my other accounts, and nothing else seems compromised. I have no idea how this Visa number was stolen, but it happened. Not sure what else I can do from my end to prevent it.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts