Canadian Money Forum banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Not in a huff at all. Do not see a reason to clarify. Perhaps to improve reading comprehension. My first sentence was cash advance from an ATM. Is that really so unclear?

As an aside, now at a second property in Mexico that requests cash or a surcharge of five percent for credit card payments. No issue at restaurants though.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Don't know about others, but I have now seldom get past the first sentence of your long winded posts. Better to tune out than respond.
Sorry to hear you have reading difficulties agent99. You could also use some remedial work on your writing, "but I have now seldom get past" is not good at all.

As for the length of a post, is there a limit you feel should be adhered to, like Twitter? Unlike many people who only know how to use their thumbs to 'key' with, I can 'key' with all 10 of my fingers and thumbs at an average speed of 75 words per minute. So writing more is not an issue for me in any way. Nor do I have a problem with maintaining my attention span beyond 30 seconds, so reading something longer is not an issue for me either.

I feel sorry for younger generations who have difficulty writing more than one sentence without making mistakes and who have difficulty with their attention span when something goes beyond the time it takes them to read a Tweet.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I feel sorry for some of the older generation who go on and on and on in some valiant attempt to impress people of their great knowledge and wisdom. They are legends in their own minds.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hopefully actual owners of HT cards will add their experiences to this thread
Actual owner here. I had a Scotia Momentum Infinite Visa and an Amazon card at one time. Amazon was discontinued so I went with the HT Visa. Scotia upped their fees and lowered their rewards so I went with the Rogers cashback instead. In January I cancelled the Visa and was refunded my fees for 2020. I transferred the account over to the free Scotia Visa. As of now I have the Rogers, with 1.75% no fee cash back on everything, the HT Visa with no forex and 1% cash back on domestic purchases and the no-fee Scotia Momentum.

We've used the HT Visa out of country without issue - Bonaire, the US and Grand Cayman. It gets accepted everywhere and it does what it says - foreign currency without extra fees. The only thing that would make it better would be a higher credit limit. We had $27k on the Scotia Visa, which carried over to the no-fee Visa, but only about $10k or so on the HT and Rogers. We're booking flights, hotels and excursions right now for a two week trip to Italy in August and it's easy to max the cards out.

tl;dr: very happy with my HT Visa.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
We had the same issue with HT. We called and explained the issue. They increased the limit to $15k and told us that if this became an issue to call back and they would raise it again. We plan to do so before our next trip.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Actual owner here. I had a Scotia Momentum Infinite Visa and an Amazon card at one time. Amazon was discontinued so I went with the HT Visa. Scotia upped their fees and lowered their rewards so I went with the Rogers cashback instead. In January I cancelled the Visa and was refunded my fees for 2020. I transferred the account over to the free Scotia Visa. As of now I have the Rogers, with 1.75% no fee cash back on everything, the HT Visa with no forex and 1% cash back on domestic purchases and the no-fee Scotia Momentum.

We've used the HT Visa out of country without issue - Bonaire, the US and Grand Cayman. It gets accepted everywhere and it does what it says - foreign currency without extra fees. The only thing that would make it better would be a higher credit limit. We had $27k on the Scotia Visa, which carried over to the no-fee Visa, but only about $10k or so on the HT and Rogers. We're booking flights, hotels and excursions right now for a two week trip to Italy in August and it's easy to max the cards out.

tl;dr: very happy with my HT Visa.
Why would you not use your Rogers World Elite card with 4% cashback on foreign transactions rather than the HT no forex card? The Rogers Forex charge is 2.5% which means that on every foreign transaction you use it for, you get 4% - 2.5% = 1.5% cashback. Even on domestic purchases it pays 1.75% vs the HT 1%. Your losing money using the HT card instead of your Rogers World Elite card.
https://rogersbank.com/en/rogers_worldelite_mastercard_details

The HT card was one of the best cards available in Canada for a traveller but that is simply no longer the case. Which cards are best changes all the time. I don't know why some people want to keep insisting a card is better when it no longer is.

Even if you only have a Rogers Platinum, it pays 3% on foreign transactions and 1.25% on domestic transactions. That still works out better then HT for both foreign and domestic. It was not better for foreign when HT still paid 1% on foreign but it no longer does.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
The HT card was one of the best cards available in Canada for a traveller but that is simply no longer the case. Which cards are best changes all the time. I don't know why some people want to keep insisting a card is better when it no longer is.

Even if you only have a Rogers Platinum, it pays 3% on foreign transactions and 1.25% on domestic transactions. That still works out better then HT for both foreign and domestic. It was not better for foreign when HT still paid 1% on foreign but it no longer does.
Now that HT and Scotia Passport are neutered, BRIM mastercard is probably the best bet for a 0 fx fee Canadian card.

Ignoring that any Canadian could simply open a US domiciled account with 0 fx travel cards plus cash back to boot

Rogers gives cash back on fx but still charges fx fees. Any refund will result in double the fx fee and no cash back..

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Now that HT and Scotia Passport are neutered, BRIM mastercard is probably the best bet for a 0 fx fee Canadian card.

Ignoring that any Canadian could simply open a US domiciled account with 0 fx travel cards plus cash back to boot

Rogers gives cash back on fx but still charges fx fees. Any refund will result in double the fx fee and no cash back..
Well I suppose if you want to anticipate refunds m3s that is correct. But how likely is that?

The Brim World Elite would not suit me personally since it has a $199 annual fee plus $50 for a second card. It also has a $25k annual spend limit for its 2% reward and I would exceed that every year. My average card transactions for the last 5 years would average somewhere around $35-40k per year.

However, I agree that for many people what Brim offers may be better than the HT card for many travellers.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Because it was maxed out.
Ahh, that makes sense Video_Frank. So you need to get them to up your limit obviously as ian suggested. The alternative when you hit your limit when travelling, is to simply go online and make a payment which will avoid hitting your limit. That is probably better than using a card that gets you less reward. All you lose is the interest you could have earned if you waited till your 'payment due date' to pay your balance in full.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
$199 annual fee and only 2% cash back up to $25k?.. I thought there was a decent free Brim card

So far I have 2 US domiciled free 0 fx cash back cards. Once my US credit history matures there should be even better options

·
Registered
237 Posts
Ahh, that makes sense Video_Frank. So you need to get them to up your limit obviously as ian suggested. The alternative when you hit your limit when travelling, is to simply go online and make a payment which will avoid hitting your limit. That is probably better than using a card that gets you less reward. All you lose is the interest you could have earned if you waited till your 'payment due date' to pay your balance in full.
I'm too lazy to read my terms but I believe there's a clause that says you can't spend more than your credit limit per month, which nullifies pre-paying.
Here's an example.

Another quote:
I overpay my Rogers MC all the time, the website shows balance as negative however it would not allow to spend over limit, tried to buy a $5200 server with $5000 limit + $400ish overpay did not work had to call in to get my limit raised

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Well I suppose if you want to anticipate refunds m3s that is correct. But how likely is that?

The Brim World Elite would not suit me personally since it has a $199 annual fee plus $50 for a second card. It also has a $25k annual spend limit for its 2% reward and I would exceed that every year. My average card transactions for the last 5 years would average somewhere around $35-40k per year.

However, I agree that for many people what Brim offers may be better than the HT card for many travellers.
Any reason why you need the Brim World Elite and not the free Brim card? https://brimfinancial.com/

I would think that the 1% back would be fine enough, particularly if you were previously using the Hometrust Visa which had the same rebate rate.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
The only thing that upsets me about HT is that they take too long to recognize payments and end up rejecting charges after the account has been paid off.
I hadn't noticed that. Do you mean you set your payments on the due date and while your bank payments go through, HT gets the payment late by a day or something?

I noticed that Brim doesn't register payments immediately and I will get the automated late e-mails, but things work out.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I find payments variable. I have paid money on Monday AM from our CIBC account and had it show up on our HT account on Tuesday afternoon. Other times 2-3 full days. We find transferring on Friday often does not make it until the following Wednesday.

We find the same is true with the pending file. We have had cash withdrawals sitting in pending for as long as three days before hitting the ledger. Same with other retail charges. Not certain how long a pending charge sit there. We had to do a $3500 deposit on a car two week car rental in Cyprus. After one week it disappeared from the pending file. Same with hotel holds.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
We had the same issue with HT. We called and explained the issue. They increased the limit to $15k and told us that if this became an issue to call back and they would raise it again. We plan to do so before our next trip.
We were going to ask HT for an increase. We only have $3k. But, we only use the HT card for non grocery items while snowbirding. Other than our monthly rent, no big ticket items such as airline tickets etc. If we did need more, we could use our US$ Mastercard which is also no FX. So decided as a safety to leave HT limit at $3k. We use our Scotia Momentum for groceries as well as purchases at Walmart and get the 4% cashback less FX on those.

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
I hadn't noticed that. Do you mean you set your payments on the due date and while your bank payments go through, HT gets the payment late by a day or something?

I noticed that Brim doesn't register payments immediately and I will get the automated late e-mails, but things work out.
Yes the payment is received but not registered, so any charges that are on payment date are rejected even though the payment shows up retroactively on that date.

41 - 60 of 78 Posts