Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
16,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't find a general thread on this card. One recent change is that they no longer give 1% cashback points on foreign purchases. Not a big deal IMO.

I really like this card for travel and it continues to be my primary travel card. It really does have 0% foreign exchange fee (I've tested this). It also includes rental car insurance and roadside assistance such as reimbursement for calling for a tow truck, battery boost within US & Canada. I haven't yet tried this out.

One quirky thing about the Home Trust operation is that they have staff in Toronto from Monday to Friday, regular hours. They provide the best customer service during these times. See their contact page under Visa cards: https://www.hometrust.ca/contact/

They have an additional call center overseas for other times. In the past I had a lot of trouble with those agents, but I phoned today and they were actually able to help me out. It was a pleasant surprise.

·
Registered
136 Posts
It's not a bad card at all. The daily transaction limit could be a pain for some people when travelling especially say on a road trip if you are making more frequent small purchases.

The car insurance is great and it's not too much of a problem losing the 1% on foreign purchases.

I do also hold the Brim Financial Mastercard. I'm currently in the UK now so i'm using it more extensively and will report back my findings. The base version of this card does lack the rental insurance.

I did have some fraudulent charges on the Home Trust card and they were very promptly dealt with.

If Brims rates do prove to be 0% then Home Trust will be kept for rentals / back up and Brim for day to purchases.

I also have the Stack prepaid Mastercard for cash.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I would disagree that the loss of their 1% cashback is 'not a big deal' james4beach. It was a plus and now it is gone.

Suppose for example you now compare it to a card that charges you 2.5% FX loading but also gives you 4% cashback on your foreign spending on the card, as the current Rogers World Elite card does. The Rogers card let's you end up 1.5% ahead, the HT card just let's you break even now. Till now, a difference of .5% between the two might not have been enough to justify someone changing cards but now it is a 1.5% difference and for some people that may add up to enough to justify a change.

The reality is that the HT card is no longer as good a choice as it was when there were no better choices out there. Now there is a better choice for those to whom foreign transactions are a decent sized factor in their spending pattern.

You could try to argue the roadside assistance is a plus that Rogers doesn't offer but it is really just a 'maybe' plus and I would suggest it is a 'small maybe'. The 1.5% cashback is an every dollar spent plus, not a maybe. Both cards give rental insurance, no difference there.
https://www.moneywehave.com/rogers-world-elite-mastercard-review/

I'm not sure what your purpose in starting this thread was but if it was to suggest this is the BEST card for a Canadian traveller, there really is no evidence to support that suggestion. It was the best choice in the past but that time is past.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
It's not a bad card at all. The daily transaction limit could be a pain for some people when travelling especially say on a road trip if you are making more frequent small purchases.
I know of no card that has a 'daily transaction limit' l1quidfinance. The only limit is your total 'credit limit'. If you had no charges on your card in a billing period you can make one transaction or multiple transactions of up to your credit limit, in one day if you needed to. If you make enough transactions in a billing period that add up to your credit limit, you can ask to have that credit limit raised. OR are you actually referring not to a 'transaction limit' but to a 'cash withdrawal limit' at ATMs when you use it instead of a debit card to get cash? That limit can be raised.

·
Registered
16,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I know of no card that has a 'daily transaction limit' l1quidfinance. The only limit is your total 'credit limit'.
The HT card allows a maximum of 10 transactions per day. If you're traveling you'd want to use the HT card for larger purchases (where the % savings is big) and use another method for smaller amounts.

Forgot to add earlier that the card also has purchase protection/insurance, meaning that new purchases are insured against damage or theft for 90 days, except theft from a car.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
The HT card allows a maximum of 10 transactions per day. If you're traveling you'd want to use the HT card for larger purchases (where the % savings is big) and use another method for smaller amounts.

Forgot to add earlier that the card also has purchase protection/insurance, meaning that new purchases are insured against damage or theft for 90 days, except theft from a car.
Huh, that's a new one for me james4beach. I've never had a card with a specific number of transactions per day limit. I wonder what their thinking is there? The more transactions I make in a day will mean the more money I put on their card in a day and therefore the more money they make off the merchants in a day. It doesn't seem to make any sense to me to limit the number of transactions. Any idea what their justification for that is? That is a definite negative in my opinion.

The Rogers card also gives the same purchase protection and extended warranty james4beach. So no advantage to HT there.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Could someone provide a link or post a copy of a section in the HT Visa agreement that would confirm the 10 transactions a day limit? I could not find it.

We are in USA now. One thing we found, was that the trick of using numbers from postal code as replacement for zip code did not work when buying gas using the HT card. Friends reported same problem. We had to go inside, guess how much gas we needed and prepay. One time after HT card did not work at pump, I switched to our BMO US$ Mastercard and that worked using the zip code trick.

We are using our Scotia cashback Visa for Groceries because of the 4% cashback (less the 2.5% FX fee). For everything else, we are using the HT VISA card. We have US$ available, so could use our BMO US$ Mastercard.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
https://rogersbank.com/legaldocs/en/Rogers_Bank_World_Elite_Mastercard_Certificate_of_Insurance.pdf

Benefit Coverages:
Emergency Medical & Trip Cancellation/Interruption/Delay Protection Coverage ..................... 1
Rental Car Collision/Damage Insurance .................................................................................... 17
Purchase Protection & Extended Warranty ............................................................................... 23

None of that would be of any use to us. Especially the travel medical.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Its pretty standard for all credit cards...rental car is good for me as I rent often. Also medical is good even though its only for a couple weeks.
as I self insure .

I have used purchase protection on my Visa when wifey dropped her new $500 glasses into the briney deep only 2 days after receiving them. No questions asked...just a quick reimbursement.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
None of that would be of any use to us. Especially the travel medical.
That's why any attempt by anyone to suggest the 'best' card is a waste of time agent99. What makes a card 'best' for any given individual will differ by individual. In the OP, the major factor was the 0% foreign exchange fee which can be important to a traveller obviously. I gave the Rogers card as an example of a card that while it does charge the typical 2.5% exchange fee, also gives 4% cashback resulting in a gain of 1.5% over the HT card.

So in terms of foreign exchange fees ONLY, the Rogers card with 4% cashback is a better card than the HT card. But there may be other factors that are of more or less importance to any given individual still.

One question I would have for you is why are you using the HT card at all if your Scotia card is giving you 4% cashback? Is it only giving you 4% on groceries? Ah yes, I had a look and that is the case. 4% on groceries, 2% on gas, 1% on everything else. Looks to me like the Rogers card is a better bet. Is there some other factor with the Scotia card that is important to you and is not offered by the Rogers card?

You wrote that none of the benefits of the Rogers card would be of use to you, what benefits of the Scotia card ARE of benefit to you? For example, I notice the Scotia card has a $120 annual fee plus $50 per year if you want a second card. What benefit does the card give you that outweighs that cost?

Taking another look at the Scotia card I now see it gives you 4% on groceries when you are in Canada which the Rogers card does not. Now I am thinking you do not travel outside Canada and your choice of card reflects that. That's fine but it is off topic from what the OP was about. For a card to use domestically, you might want to compare it to a PC World Elite card which could get you 3% on groceries, 3% on gas, 1% everywhere else and has no annual fees. https://www.pcfinancial.ca/en/credit-cards/world-elite

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
We are still happy with the HT card. Yes, we did loose the 1 percent cash back on foreign transactions.

Since having the card we cancelled the auto club membership. That is worth $100-125 per yr. that we would otherwise spend. We like no fee loading on FX transactions. Just today We took a cash advance of $500 from a foreign ATM. Our fee on that is 1.5 vs the bank upcharge on fx rates of 3-4 points. The car rental insurance is important to us. Last fall trip we had five rentals with a total of 35 or so car rental days.

We typically only do one to four transactions a day. Usually just two. So the ten limit is not an issue for us. Customer service....similar to TD but streets ahead of CIBC in our experience when it comes to call waiting times.

·
Registered
16,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
It's still my main travel card and I always use it for car rentals. Having no FX fee is just amazing.

I haven't yet tried the road-side car service ... would be great to hear from someone who has used that, like a boost, tow, etc.

James? Others? Hoping someone can confirm this with a link.
I can't find any link to it

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
We used it the first month when we returned from PV to get our car going. Battery boost was insufficient so they towed the car to a battery shop. That was 2 of the 4 incidents allowed.

Response time was comparable to other services.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
We are still happy with the HT card. Yes, we did loose the 1 percent cash back on foreign transactions.

Since having the card we cancelled the auto club membership. That is worth $100-125 per yr. that we would otherwise spend. We like no fee loading on FX transactions. Just today We took a cash advance of $500 from a foreign ATM. Our fee on that is 1.5 vs the bank upcharge on fx rates of 3-4 points. The car rental insurance is important to us. Last fall trip we had five rentals with a total of 35 or so car rental days.

We typically only do one to four transactions a day. Usually just two. So the ten limit is not an issue for us. Customer service....similar to TD but streets ahead of CIBC in our experience when it comes to call waiting times.
I'm not sure what you are saying about the fee on your ATM withdrawal ian. If you are referrring to a FX cost the usual for Canadian banks is 2.5%, not '3-4 points'. Are you also ignoring the cost of interest which starts on day 1 if you use a credit card with an ATM? ATM withdrawals should be made using a debit card, not a credit card. Or are you pre-loading the credit card before making an ATM withdrawal, as many people do.

I think all of the cards mentioned above give car rental coverage. The ones giving cash back of 4% offset the no FX fees and in fact provide a plus of 1.5% on top of that, so you are losing on that aspect. The auto breakdown cover does seem to be a plus that the other cards do not provide. So you end up with minus, one neutral and one plus with your card in your individual case. How it works out overall would be dependent on how often you break down. With no break downs you will end up as a negative vs. some of the cashback cards.

Another aspect of all these cards is the question of annual fee. The Scotia card mentioned above has a fee of $120 per year plus another $50 per year for a second card. I think there are currently enough cards with no annual fee to choose from with various benefits, that no one should be using a card with an annual fee. I've yet to see one that has a benefit other cards do not that would overcome that annual fee cost.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
We do no pay interest on cash advances. We preload the account to a credit balance, hence no interest charges. Put $3000 on the card last week. Now down to 1K. The 1.5 percent is the HT s/c on cash advances over and above daily interest if applicable.

In the past CIBC certainly did charge us 3-4 points above the visa exchange rate on atm withdrawals.

·
Registered
16,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We do no pay interest on cash advances. We preload the account to a credit balance, hence no interest charges. Put $3000 on the card last week. Now down to 1K. The 1.5 percent is the HT s/c on cash advances over and above daily interest if applicable.
Apologies, you've talked about this method before but I also haven't understood it yet.

So you pay an excess amount to your HT card to load it up to a credit balance. Basically you're loading CAD cash into it and using the cash advance method to withdraw the cash at a foreign ATM without any interest charges -- is that right?

Is this better than using a regular Canadian debit card at the foreign ATM? Example: say you're withdrawing 200 EUR (or whatever) at a foreign ATM from the HT card. I would think you would be paying
- nil interest, ok
- 1.5% service fee on cash advances
- $10 or more foreign ATM fee
- X% foreign exchange spread, perhaps 3%

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
James...

Yes, We always maintain a credit balance hence no interest charges. Usually about $800. We keep note of credit card charges in order to maintain this credit.

Yesterday we took a cash advance of $425. That was the max at this atm. We usually withdraw $500-$600 when we travel to cover cash basis accommodation, etc.

-the cash advance came over at the same rate as two purchases that day, ie the visa exchange rate with no hidden add on fx service charge

-the HT service fee was 6.38.....1.5 percent

-the foreign bank ATM fee was slightly over $2. CAD (in Mexico the atm charges vary by bank. Not so in other countries. In Thailand for example all banks charge the same fixed feefor foreign atm withdrawals...$6.50 or so.

If we used used our CIBC card we would have paid an additional $12-15 in hidden fx fees plus a $5 atm fee.

Granted not a lot however we simply got fed up of paying bank fees when there was a way to avoid some of them.

We are in Mexico. We took advantage of a last minute offer and bought five days at an AI from of all places a UK travel firm. In GBP. We just purchased three nights at a small boutique hotel from the Spanish company that owns it....billed in euros. Bought a night at the Fairfield Inn Cancun Airport from Marriott in USD. All were on line purchases. We keep track of these and send payments to HT in order to keep a float as it were.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts