Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have only had our HT CC for a short while. Credit Limit is $3500. We are moving to new winter condo where we will be able to use our HT Visa for the monthly rental. That will use up a good part of our credit limit.

Have any of you with this card been able to increase the credit limit? If so, how long after first getting card?

We plan on using this 1% cashback, no FX card for as much as we can while in USA. Except for groceries where our Scotia Momentum ends up with about 1.6% cashback after the FX fee. (no longer good for gas when in USA)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Our credit limit is $12k. IIRC they sent the offer out to increase us from our initial limit of $8k roughly a year after initial issuance.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Our credit limit is $12k. IIRC they sent the offer out to increase us from our initial limit of $8k roughly a year after initial issuance.
I seem to recall our Amazon Visa also started out at $3500 and that we had to wait 6 months before they would increase it. I suppose we could ask HT once we have used it for a few months.

As it is, we mainly use our Scotia Momentum when in Canada but have been using the HT a bit (just to get a feel for them) when both cards would only have 1% cashback.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
You can always ask to have a credit limit increased and probably have a better chance if you have a reasonable reason for doing so as you have. You can also ask to have the daily cash withdrawal limit increased if that is something you will do.

Beyond that, the way to deal with your rent payments and your credit limit will be to simply make payments on your card just before or at the same time as you use the card to pay the rent. In other words, don't wait for the credit card payment due date to make a payment on your account.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Ours was issued with 5K. Called and had them increase it to 15K. No problem whatsoever. Last month we had a car rental agency place a hold on the card. 3000E, $4500. Cad. I may ask again to get it bumped up.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Ours was issued with 5K. Called and had them increase it to 15K. No problem whatsoever. Last month we had a car rental agency place a hold on the card. 3000E, $4500. Cad. I may ask again to get it bumped up.
Good point about car rental holds ian. This is especially likely when someone does not take the rental company's insurance because they have coverage such as that offered free with some credit cards.

I had that happen once many years ago and then had a restaurant bill declined when I tried to use that card to pay. Small embarrassment and a lesson learned. Be aware of what the rental car companies do in this regard. Another reason to always have another card you can use.

Another issue with it is if it is some kind of card you get rewards on for every dollar spent, you won't be able to take advantage of that while they have the amount held on your card.

Over the years I have found they automatically bump up your limit in line with your spending pattern. The more you spend on a card the higher they put your limit so that you do not go over your limit in that time between a statement date and the payment due date. So for example if you spend up to $10k in a given month, they may set the limit at $20k so you can continue to spend on the card till the payment date for last month's $10k. That means that someone who doesn't use their card regularly and only uses it on say a vacation, will not be as likely to have a higher limit.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I was shocked at the amount of the hold. Not that it mattered. We have had holds of 1000e but never 3000.

But here is something interesting. It was a two week rental for 194Euro. The hold, 3000 euro, 4500 cad showed up on our Home Visa as a pending charge. Just as one would expect. But....after 10 days it disappeared off the pending charge and went away. Disappeared into the ether.

Then, we we returned home I noticed a declined amount of 3000E on our card under the pending. It turned out to be the rental firm trying to reverse the hold. But they could not I guess because they did not have my pin. All the while the original hold had elapsed. So, there must be some time limit on these credit holds/authorizations.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In another thread, M3s posted that HT Visa will be discontinuing the 1% cashback on foreign purchases

Only place I could confirm that was a post by a card holder on Greedyrates. He said this would be effective Jan 2020
Has anyone else had or seen any notice of this change?

·
Registered
452 Posts
In another thread, M3s posted that HT Visa will be discontinuing the 1% cashback on foreign purchases
Only place I could confirm that was a post by a card holder on Greedyrates. He said this would be effective Jan 2020
Has anyone else had or seen any notice of this change?
There was a notice in an "Important News" box on the front page of my November statement.

I missed it at first read. Then I read about the change online and went back to check. The notice says there will be further details on the next statement.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There was a notice in an "Important News" box on the front page of my November statement.

I missed it at first read. Then I read about the change online and went back to check. The notice says there will be further details on the next statement.
My wife (our bill payer) just pulled the statement and sure enough, we should have seen that notice. Card still avoids us having to carry US$ cash or sell something on US$ side (to fund our BMO US$ CC). Scotia Momentum will still give us 4% (net 1.6%) cashback after FX fee on purchases at supermarkets in USA (sometimes includes more than groceries)

Overall, the 1% would have amounted to about $100. Not the end of the world to lose that and no good alternative right now. There is the Rogers card, but these cards keep changing, so will look again next Fall.

·
Registered
136 Posts
My wife (our bill payer) just pulled the statement and sure enough, we should have seen that notice. Card still avoids us having to carry US$ cash or sell something on US$ side (to fund our BMO US$ CC). Scotia Momentum will still give us 4% (net 1.6%) cashback after FX fee on purchases at supermarkets in USA (sometimes includes more than groceries)

Overall, the 1% would have amounted to about $100. Not the end of the world to lose that and no good alternative right now. There is the Rogers card, but these cards keep changing, so will look again next Fall.
That's a shame although there is an alternative.

What about the Brim Financial Mastercard? Thats quite a viable alternative. Althouhgh I haven't used it too extensively yet. It is certainally worth holding.

My last foreign transaction £27.48 @ $1.697234352 = $46.64 Transaction Date Oct 30th and Posted on the 31st

The BOC rates on those days was either $1.6937 or $1.7034 So no complaints with the posted exchange rate there and 1% in points (cashback)

·
Registered
136 Posts
I had read about it early on, but there were problems at the time in getting it released. Never did check to see what became of it.
No complaints so far but as I said fairly limited use. I'm heading back to the UK tomorrow so will probably be spending much more over the course of the next week which will give it a better test. I believe I had the Card around March of this year.

It's still a bit of a mix a match situation for example the Home trust has the rental car insurance whereas the free verison of the brim card does not.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Another notice from Home Trust that could be missed:

Won't bother us, because we do use it sometimes when the Scotia Momentum cashback is the same 1%.

Can't blame them really, if people get the card just for a foreign trip.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts