Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I rent an apartment and need renter's insurance / home insurance. However, when getting quotes, things started getting more complicated when I mentioned that I am self-employed and do some work from home.

The self employment work I do is pretty minimal, generally a handful of hours in a week, entirely remotely using the computer. Nobody visits my apartment. I'm a sole proprietor and not an employee of a company.

For the home insurance quote, the insurance companies ask if there is any business occurring at home. I answered yes. They asked about the nature of the work and the scope of it. In my case, it's minimal income. I might even go several months with zero income.

One of the insurers I talked to said they won't give me home insurance unless I get commercial insurance (professional liability insurance) which tends to be a large package of other insurance, things like cyber liability, etc. I am not going to bother with this. My income simply isn't large enough to justify it.

I'm curious if others here, who work from home, have encountered this problem? What is the right way to navigate it? I can't be the only freelancer around here with minimal income.

One thing I am considering is just conducting all my business from coffee shops instead. It really makes no difference where I sit to do my work. Then, I can just get regular home insurance and it does not have to include any business provisions at all.

·
Registered
16,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also asked this insurer if I can just conduct all my business elsewhere, and use my apartment purely for personal use.

And I was shocked to hear that no, they won't give me home insurance, even if I don't work from home! They said they would only give me home insurance if I have business liability insurance.

This just isn't making sense to me. Imagine a freelancer or someone with a web site who is making a bit of side income, like $10,000 working from home. Are these people NOT able to get home insurance unless they get massive amounts of corporate/liability insurance?

·
Super Moderator
3,167 Posts
And I was shocked to hear that no, they won't give me home insurance, even if I don't work from home! They said they would only give me home insurance if I have business liability insurance.
But this brings you back to the first question ...
For the home insurance quote, the insurance companies ask if there is any business occurring at home. I answered yes.
So answer no and get your home insurance.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
My home insurance is with TD, and they have no problem with working from home as long as you don't have clients coming to your home. I don't know what company you were talking to but they sound quite insane saying they won't insure you even if you never work from home.

·
Registered
16,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My home insurance is with TD, and they have no problem with working from home as long as you don't have clients coming to your home. I don't know what company you were talking to but they sound quite insane saying they won't insure you even if you never work from home.
'Sounds quite insane' was my response exactly, thanks for the response.

After a long hold, I got through to TD. I got a quote, just bought this and it looks pretty complete. TD even shows the additional, optional "In-Home Office" including some protection of my business equipment.

Looks like I'm good, insured. That's a relief.

·
Registered
16,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm wondering if you found the solution.
Yes, see post #6 above.

But I am concerned that there is reluctance to insure someone who is self employed, working from home. It actually sounds discriminatory to me, as this is the only way some of us earn a living and it could prevent us from having a place to live.

If I am self-employed, I still have a right to have housing.

Refusing to give home insurance is almost like denying someone a place to live. So if being self employed results in denial of general home insurance, then (in my view) the insurer is blocking you from putting a roof over your head.

Western Coast Insurance, for example, told me they will not give me renter's insurance due to my self employment status, even if I don't do any work at home.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
@james4beach My spouse has worked from home for years, both self employeed and as an employee. Never have we had issues with insurance. As long as you don't have clients in your home, it should be fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts