Canadian Money Forum banner

Home Buyers Plan RRSP - does overseas property make me ineligible?

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  docbick 
#1 ·
Next year I will be looking to buy my first property since becoming resident in Canada, but I have owned a principal residence in the last 4 years in the UK.

My banker in Canada seems to think I am still eligible for the Home Buyers Plan RRSP, meaning that I can put $35k into an RRSP, then take it out again after 90 days for a home downpayment. I have looked on the CRA website where the exclusion of criteria of not having owned a principal residence in the preceding four-year period is described as follows – "The four-year period means the four years prior to a home purchase. The period begins on January 1 of the fourth year before the year you withdraw funds from your RRSP, and ends 31 days before the date you withdraw the funds."

I can't see any exception about property outside Canada? But then, this isn't mentioned at all and I can't actually live in that property now because I am in Canada, so might there be an exception in consideration of this?

My banker seems a nice enough fella :cocksure: but I don't want him getting me into trouble :hororr:

Any clarification appreciated. Has anyone been in this situation and used the Home Buyers Plan RRSP, please?

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.