Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any, what are they? For the novice investor with cash but a very low risk tolerance and no clear short or long-term objectives.

Time horizon a year. This year.

·
Registered
222 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks but I was looking for alternatives. Looking for a little bit more return, while taking on just a bit more risk. Say on the order 3-5% returns. Is this possible?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Thanks but I was looking for alternatives
Sorry, I thought that you were looking for alternative providers of high-interest savings accounts from the one that you were currently using, and not alternative investment vehicles which are still safe but not a high-interest savings account or GIC.

Looking for a little bit more return, while taking on just a bit more risk.
But you said earlier that you have "a very low risk tolerance and no clear short or long-term objectives" ....

Say on the order 3-5% returns. Is this possible?
I'm doubtful ...

Preferred shares, dividend-paying stocks, and bonds generally work best with time horizons > 1 year, more than a "very low risk tolerance", and may not be suitable for a "novice" investor.

K.

·
Banned
407 Posts
Huh?

Are there any, what are they? For the novice investor with cash but a very low risk tolerance and no clear short or long-term objectives.

Time horizon a year. This year.
You need to clarify your objectives in your own mind. It sounds as if you don't actually know what you want. Do you want the utmost safety of principal, or do you want moderate return? It's awfully hard to get both. More of one usually means less of the other.

If you want utmost safety of principal then a CDIC insured high-interest bank account or a CDIC-insured GIC are best. If you want slightly higher return for slightly higher risk then a bond ETF may be better. Remember that interest, outside a registered account, will be taxed. Ally pays about 2% for its high-interest saving account and is CDIC insured.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Low risk, short term.

Just stick with a GIC or 'high' interest savings acct.

You could look into dividend paying stocks that don't vary much in price, but there is no guarantee. Definitely not considered low risk like you are looking for. Not high risk either.

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
Don't believe the hype - even though base rates are at historic lows it's still possible to make saving pay. The current best buys pays 3% easy access or, if you're willing to lock cash away, earn inflation plus 1% tax-free (currently 6.3% variable) These are the rates of some Institutions.
What institutions? Please share publically as I'm sure others are quite curious as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts