Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the stocks being sustainably down, it's a great opportunity to load up on some good dividend paying stocks. I think dividend's are very important espcially given the uncertainity in the markets. I am looking into the banking sector (i.e. royal bank or TD) and the pharmaceutical sector (i.e Biovail with 14% yield) to get good dividend yields in addition to the potential capital gains.

I was wondering what high dividend yield Stocks/ ETF’s other people are watching/ buying both for short term and long term (i.e. RRSPs)?

·
Registered
31 Posts
REI.UN RioCan Real Estate Investment
ALA.UN AltaGas Income Trust
IPL.UN Inter Pipeline Fund SIF.UN Energy Savings Income Fund
FCE.UN Fort Chicago Energy Partners...
CLC.UN CML Healthcare Income Fund
EMA Emera Inc.
MBT Manitoba Telecom Services
TA TransAlta Corporation
TRP TransCanada Corporation
DHF.UN Davis + Henderson Income Fund
EP.UN EPCOR Power, L.P.

·
Registered
236 Posts
With the stocks being sustainably down, it's a great opportunity to load up on some good dividend paying stocks. I think dividend's are very important espcially given the uncertainity in the markets. I am looking into the banking sector (i.e. royal bank or TD) and the pharmaceutical sector (i.e Biovail with 14% yield) to get good dividend yields in addition to the potential capital gains.

I was wondering what high dividend yield Stocks/ ETF’s other people are watching/ buying both for short term and long term (i.e. RRSPs)?
Been there done that

Lakota has posted a list which is fine as long as the dividends are not cut and the stock prices do not drop

As an example a lot of CANROY's, specific to the oil trusts have cut their dividends over the past several months.

1. Over the Canadian royalty trusts, I prefer Canadian stocks that have dividends as well as being optionable, such as the Banks, BMO being one of them. This way its possible to get the annualized 20%+ coming from a one-year hold, option ATM and reinvesting the dividends as well as the premiums to buy more stock & repeat.

2. I also like US preferreds, example DUA & DDT which are currently yielding 13% and 22% respectively

The upside with preferreds is the $25 issue price

·
Banned
137 Posts
REI.UN RioCan Real Estate Investment
ALA.UN AltaGas Income Trust
IPL.UN Inter Pipeline Fund SIF.UN Energy Savings Income Fund
FCE.UN Fort Chicago Energy Partners...
CLC.UN CML Healthcare Income Fund
EMA Emera Inc.
MBT Manitoba Telecom Services
TA TransAlta Corporation
TRP TransCanada Corporation
DHF.UN Davis + Henderson Income Fund
EP.UN EPCOR Power, L.P.
It's been more than a year since the above list was posted on this site, I wondered if the above listing is still good,...

Secondly, I think there will soon be selloffs in some of the ".UN" counters in the above list come 2011 because of the reconversion back to normal listed entities. Would it be a better time to buy when that day comes ?

Just a question : where can I look to see a history of the dividend payouts of the above counters ?

·
Banned
137 Posts
Been there done that

1. Over the Canadian royalty trusts, I prefer Canadian stocks that have dividends as well as being optionable, such as the Banks, BMO being one of them. This way its possible to get the annualized 20%+ coming from a one-year hold, option ATM and reinvesting the dividends as well as the premiums to buy more stock & repeat.
The above sounds ineteresting - dividend-pying as well as being optionable. How does the "being optionable" work please ?

Does option ATM mean being able to withdraw the dividend when it is declared instead of going into the DRIP-mode (reinvesting the dividend) ?

Hoping for some guidance,.... thank you.

·
Registered
373 Posts
The above sounds interesting - dividend-paying as well as being optionable. How does the "being optionable" work please ?

Does option ATM mean being able to withdraw the dividend when it is declared instead of going into the DRIP-mode (reinvesting the dividend) ?

Hoping for some guidance,.... thank you.
Being optionable simply means that you can enter into a contract to buy or sell a stock at a predetermined price within a specific time frame into the future.

Options Basics: Introduction

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
rox i beg to differ it means that a shareholder can just walk up to one of those ATM bank machines, punch in the stock symbol plus their investor account number, and the machine will spit out the dividend in cash.

isn't canada great for advanced shareholder services. But you have to be resident here, though. Doesn't work through Interac or other foreign bank ATM networks.

and it only works on hallowe'en. Trick or Treat.

·
Banned
137 Posts
Dear Harold, Scomac, Humble_Pie and KC, many thanks for all of your advice and the additional gigs too,... lol,...Yeah, am aware I have to be a resident there, meaning a local address there and a local phone number too. No problem at all,...

Interesting,... from what I am hearing, the dividend does not get banked-in to our bank account, but we must use our Investor Account Number to withdraw the dividend directly from the corporation's account, I supposed,....

Happy Halloween, guys,....

·
Registered
10,517 Posts
Dear Harold, Scomac, Humble_Pie and KC, many thanks for all of your advice and the additional gigs too,... lol,...Yeah, am aware I have to be a resident there, meaning a local address there and a local phone number too. No problem at all,...

Interesting,... from what I am hearing, the dividend does not get banked-in to our bank account, but we must use our Investor Account Number to withdraw the dividend directly from the corporation's account, I supposed,....

Happy Halloween, guys,....
Hmmm ... much different system.

Being a resident with a Canadian broker, the dividend goes into the brokerage account. I can then go online to the broker and transfer it to my linked chequeing account (same group as the broker) and *then* I can go to the ATM and withdraw it. [ Or I can write a cheque.]

Hallowe'en and/or Trick or Treating are optional.

·
Banned
137 Posts
Hmmm ... much different system.

Being a resident with a Canadian broker, the dividend goes into the brokerage account. I can then go online to the broker and transfer it to my linked chequeing account (same group as the broker) and *then* I can go to the ATM and withdraw it. [ Or I can write a cheque.]

Hallowe'en and/or Trick or Treating are optional.
Yeah, above arrangement would be similar as in many parts of the world. As an added note, if you do not intend to physically extract the dividend money from the brokerage account, and you intend to invest it back into the market, then there is no work to be done any further.

The funds sitting inside the "Cash Account" will be earning a very small amount of interest too, probably. This earning is good to have while waiting for a good opportunity to go into the market again.

Having said this, there is no involvement at all with any banking account.

I believed we can also go to the discount brokerage personally to withdraw cash if we wanted to.

·
Registered
10,517 Posts
Yeah, above arrangement would be similar as in many parts of the world. As an added note, if you do not intend to physically extract the dividend money from the brokerage account, and you intend to invest it back into the market, then there is no work to be done any further.

The funds sitting inside the "Cash Account" will be earning a very small amount of interest too, probably. This earning is good to have while waiting for a good opportunity to go into the market again.

Having said this, there is no involvement at all with any banking account.

I believed we can also go to the discount brokerage personally to withdraw cash if we wanted to.
Or, if you want it to go back into the original company with minimal cost, most brokerages will re-invest the dividend into more stock without commission (ie. a Divident Re-Invesment Plan or DRIP). Note that usually the brokerage does only full shares and it might forgo the discount that a direct plan with the company might offer but it is easily available.

As for the funds in the "Cash Account" earning interest - your mileage may vary so check with your broker regularly. My brokerage originally paid better than my high-interest account on any balance but in the last while, it's been changed to zero interest until a cash balance of $100K.

·
Banned
137 Posts
That's right, Eclectic,... thank you. One more point to note though : It is not that all corporations will provide the DRIP. So, we have to be very careful if we intend to use the DRIP for our investment planning - we must check if the corp has the DRIP first.

Talking about corp's, you metioned in another thread that Keyera Facilities and Inter Pipeline Fund may not be converting till 2012. Do o have the write-ups for this, are you sure about this ? Why I am keen to know is because we are considering to pour some money into these two counters.

·
Registered
10,517 Posts
That's right, Eclectic,... thank you. One more point to note though : It is not that all corporations will provide the DRIP. So, we have to be very careful if we intend to use the DRIP for our investment planning - we must check if the corp has the DRIP first.

Talking about corp's, you metioned in another thread that Keyera Facilities and Inter Pipeline Fund may not be converting till 2012. Do o have the write-ups for this, are you sure about this ? Why I am keen to know is because we are considering to pour some money into these two counters.
To get the maximum benefit (i.e. partial shares bought and company discounts), you are correct. The only place to do this is usually by directly registering at least one share with the specific corporation.

However, I'll have to do some checking. For example, www.shareowner.com used to offer it's own Drip for companies that didn't offer a Drip. As well, I don't remember what requirements my broker had.

As for trusts, I lamented that I didn't save the news releases for the ones that I did find a notice saying 2012. I was not referring Keyera Facilities or Inter Pipeline, in particular. If I could remember the names of the ones targeting 2012, it would be easier to show that a few are not in a rush to convert.

Sorry for any confusion.

·
Banned
137 Posts
To get the maximum benefit (i.e. partial shares bought and company discounts), you are correct. The only place to do this is usually by directly registering at least one share with the specific corporation.

However, I'll have to do some checking. For example, www.shareowner.com used to offer it's own Drip for companies that didn't offer a Drip. As well, I don't remember what requirements my broker had.

As for trusts, I lamented that I didn't save the news releases for the ones that I did find a notice saying 2012. I was not referring Keyera Facilities or Inter Pipeline, in particular. If I could remember the names of the ones targeting 2012, it would be easier to show that a few are not in a rush to convert.

Sorry for any confusion.
Eclectic,... thank you for this too,... As to your final paragraph, okay,.. I understood now what you said,... it's two OTHER companies besides Key and IPL,... I think it's Chemtrade, can't remember,... that said they are staying back as a trust,... reasons for this, sorry, don't recall why,...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts