Canadian Money Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
So does iTrade REALLY move DLR.U between sections without direction to do so? If so, it would make ZSP.U different to DLR.U.

Obviously we don't expect ZSP.U or, indeed any other holding, to be automagically journaled around between sections without our specific direction to do so. Reports are that iTrade nonetheless actually does this with DLR.U for some reason that I do not fully understand. Is it actually true? If it is, what makes it right and proper for them to move DLR.U but not obvious that ZSP.U should be subject to the same logic?

And in case it is not clear, it is this information I am trying to make sense of:

Is that in fact true that this happens with iTrade?

oh dear. You are making a mountain out of what is less than a molehill & all the ess aitch eye tee cursing isn't helping your case either.

if you want a broker whose architecture is built - for whatever reason - to "restore" some stocks back to an opposite currency position, perhaps you'd want to think about Questrade.

in any event, please do stop picking on scotia iTrade. The gambit trades chronicled in this thread sound totally benign to me. The thread is actually a good teaching module for how-to-gambit at scotia. Let's close by thanking the OP for his posts.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Is that in fact true that this happens with iTrade?
I am only relaying information my FIL provided to me. Not sure if he misheard or misinterpreted what the rep said but that is my understanding of the information he received from the person he was talking to at iTrade.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi everyone, I am trying now to gambit with iTrade.
1. Bought dlr
2. Filled the form online to transfer dlr from CAD side of TFSA into dlr.u on US side of TFSA.

Today (Saturday) noticed that dlr was transferred to US side yesterday (Friday). I was busy yesterday so I did not notice it.

But now when I try to sell DLR.U from my US TFSA side it shows me a message that “Your account does not hold sufficient shares of this security”. In fact, I my US side I see DLR but not DLR.U.

Just wondering what can be an issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah, when I try to sell it as DLR in my US TFSA side it works, but with CAD - USD exchange fees.
When trying to sell as DLR.U - showing a message I don’t have those shares.

Maybe they journaled dlr into dlr.u yesterday but since I did not sell them dlr.u automatically went into dlr during the night as mentioned above in this thread?

·
Registered
4 Posts
So I called iTtade today. I waited just a minute on the line and was connected to a broker and asked him to journal over some of the shares. I did not even need to tell him what exactly I want, once he acceded my account he just asked me if I want to journal all the dlr into dlr.u. I said yes and it took him like 2 minutes. Also, I asked if dlr.u are going to turn into dlr again during the night, but he said they shouldn’t. I can’t sell them today because the market is closed and need to wait until tomorrow, so let see if dlr.I will survive overnight and don’t turn to dlr again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Final update:dlr.u turned back into dlr overnight indeed. I had to call again next morning (few minutes wait time) and speak to a trader. It was painless. He changed my dlr into dlr.u again and I sold it.
Hope the information will be helpful for people looking how to gambit with iTrade.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts