Canadian Money Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
That $1L is a very low price. Everyone is losing money at $1L. There is no profit margin, only profit loss. Your gasoline is currently being subsidized by absolute destruction of hundreds of billions of money invested in US shale. There is no question it is an amazing once in a decade deal - you may never see $1/L again after this.
Oh, I'm certain we will see prices below $1 again... I'm also certain that prices will be much higher than $1 a few years from now. The good news is that electric vehicles will be maturing at the same time, and those high gas prices will finally push widespread adoption. Once that happens, gas prices will fall again as a function of reduced demand. Of course, a lot of people won't care by then.

·
Registered
12,414 Posts
Hmm... I guess I could see that for an upper-middle-class or wealthy person, gas might not be in their top five expenses. But unless you're wealthy or don't have to drive to work, I'd be surprised if gas wasn't a major expense for most people.

I use much less gas than many people... roughly 30 litres per week, and it's still in my top five expenses. I'm only able to use that little because I live close to where I work. Still, when prices were averaging around $1.35/L, that adds up to about $175 a month.
I spend about as much on each of depreciation and insurance+maintenance on my car as I do on gas. I would think gas is only ~35% of the TCO of owning a car.

My expenses are probably:
-Mortgage interest
-Food
-Property tax
-Condo fees
-Car depreciation
-Gas
-car insurance
-bunch of various utilities etc.

·
Registered
12,414 Posts
Oh, I'm certain we will see prices below $1 again... I'm also certain that prices will be much higher than $1 a few years from now. The good news is that electric vehicles will be maturing at the same time, and those high gas prices will finally push widespread adoption. Once that happens, gas prices will fall again as a function of reduced demand. Of course, a lot of people won't care by then.
EVs operate at an equivalent fuel price of around $0.20/L if you charge at home. Maybe a bit less. So at $1.35 / L for gas the savings stack up fast.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts