Canadian Money Forum banner
141 - 153 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
13,244 Posts
There is indeed a lot of noise in the media hyped by vested interests but to say measurements are largely compromised by the proximity of sensors to A/C units, concrete, etc. is rather absurd in the extreme. Certainly some measurements are from improper urban locations but they have been historically so. Most of the millions of weather data locations are not when you examine the studies (think atmospheric, ocean, land, etc) and what is just as important is the trend, i.e. change, over time. Your continued use of
Weather stations are surrounded by concrete, near jet engine exhausts, near AC units, etc.
doesn't say much for objectivity. You are welcome to continue to believe what you believe. Time will prove you wrong. It is only a matter of degree .

Added later: FWIW, I believe in being more objective and pragmatic in the transition than the 'sky is falling' crowd. Rate of transition and adaptability can't overdrive the headlights. Let's just be intelligent about how we get there. I am not about to convert my nat gas heating to heat pump until it is 'time' to change out equipment, and I am not about to buy an EV until the technology has matured better AND my current ICE vehicles reach a meaningful life span.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Most of the millions of weather data locations are not when you examine the studies (think atmospheric, ocean, land, etc) and what is just as important is the trend, i.e. change, over time. Your continued use of doesn't say much for objectivity. You are welcome to continue to believe what you believe. Time will prove you wrong. It is only a matter of degree
There are 27,372 weather stations, not millions.

WorldClim: Global weather stations | Data Basin

·
Registered
13,244 Posts
How many are near A/C units, runways and concrete walls? How many of those were surreptitiously placed in such locations in the last decade or two in an ulterior motive to falsify data trends for a 'false narrative' in the rate of temperature/wind/humidity/precipitation?

·
Registered
978 Posts
How many are near A/C units, runways and concrete walls? How many of those were surreptitiously placed in such locations in the last decade or two in an ulterior motive to falsify data trends for a 'false narrative' in the rate of temperature/wind/humidity/precipitation?
First you think there are millions of weather statins and now you don't know how many are poorly located. What do you know?

There's no need to move a weather station when development builds up around them. As to how many? The answer should be zero if this is a serious as we're told but it's not.

Here's a report showing how poorly located many weather stations are.

"89 percent – nearly 9 of 10 – of the stations surveyed produce unreliable data by NOAA’s own definition."

surfacestationsreport_spring09.pdf (wordpress.com)

·
Registered
13,244 Posts
That study is one needle in the overall haystack of studies, reports and op-eds. Apparently not accredited nor peer reviewed for competency though perhaps it has been.

Data gathering is always messy due to environmental variables, but that is where modeling comes in. Modeling takes a lot of data and massages it, and over time, algorithms are tweaked such that model outputs align with historical data on a global basis. You know full well there are a lot of variables and statistical analysis is necessary to establish 'probable outcomes'. We have decades of data and modeling outputs now to get reasonable confidence in projections. If you are a scientist or engineer, you already know that.

Links like you just posted are simply part of a much larger process to understand the data better. They are never meant to be taken literally...except by those with intent to support their particular position. Hang on to any sound bite you wish to support your opinion but opinion has little to do with the reality of current trends. Your assertions won't play out as you appear to currently assume.

·
Registered
24,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 ·
Humidity is a big factor in the heat.

Today was 36 to 38 C where I am, but very dry. I went hiking for two and a half hours and it really didn't feel so bad. I drank a ton of water, and was sweating, but my sweat also evaporated rapidly.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
^ Would agree "humidity" is a big factor in heat ... it just jack the temperature up by several degrees.

One time as I was preparing for a trip down to an island in the tropics, the weather channel stated it was about 33C there which I thought wasn't so bad. But when I stepped out of the airport, I thought was walking into a blaster oven - and upon checking the temperature there - it was registering something like 43/44C ... an additional 10C! No wonder. No thanks for a re-trip even it was early spring there. It's hot hot hot hot hot hot there all year round, just like Texas, Florida, Arizona, etc. with humidity fluxes.

·
Registered
19,509 Posts
The air conditioner on our main floor is continually dripping water out the back onto the patio.

It is surprising how much moisture it draws out of the small floor area.

141 - 153 of 153 Posts