Canadian Money Forum banner
121 - 140 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Doesn't hurt my feelings at all. Of course if you are just going to provide hearsay, unsubstantiated claims and not consider any "possible" negative sides effects ... well, don't even start.
You say I don't consider any negative effects of warming but yet you're completely unaware of the well known and documented positive affects.

·
Registered
financial independence retire early
22 Posts
Canada has a narrow little band of arable land that's about 7500 km wide. Maybe we could use some warmth. I understand there are quite a few countries that would benefit.

Canada could gain 4.2 million square kilometers of agricultural land as a result of climate change.

ltr
Human Mass migration is never without problems and it will be on a scale that has never happened previously. As for this new agricultural land I thought the soil "oop"north was particularly poor being thin, dense and nutrient poor leading to among other things poor water retention / rapid water run off (not the famous humas black earth I hear about in Ukraine for example) oh as well as the area being mainly rock ( the oft mention Canadian Shield) . Besides who is going to farm all this? I suppose all the displace poor people of Bangladesh. Really good soil is hard to come by "Bread basket" Soil distribution globally. I hope I am wrong here but I thought soil erosion due to climate change was a thing. High temperature lead to humas soil degradation Soil degradation . Yes some animal and plant species will thrive in some areas due to the climate changes but the fact is that our fossil fuel use means the oceans are in big trouble due to CO2 abortion (Acid.) Maybe HappilyRetired has data on ocean species that thrive in warming acid salt water? 🤔 , I would be genuinely curious . Dont whale migrate to the cold waters of north to feed and south to just to breed? What all the ocean is tropical warm? So pessimistically large areas of currently arable land will become less productive. That said , I see examples of humans who are able to manipulate things and change desert into green land but we'd need to be working together on a global scale. If we could do that for soil composition couldn't we be doing that now for the air composition? :)

·
Registered
978 Posts
That's why I asked you for a list and/or data supporting your
The data is there if you cared enough to look. They want to remake the entire economy and tax people into oblivion and you'll just happily go along with whatever they say but won't spend 10 minutes verifying basic facts.

Warming has always been better throughout the entire history of the planet. If you want to believe that's changed for some magical reason just because the government said so then you're being fooled.

·
Administrator
5,285 Posts
The data is there if you cared enough to look. They want to remake the entire economy and tax people into oblivion and you'll just happily go along with whatever they say but won't spend 10 minutes verifying basic facts.

Warming has always been better throughout the entire history of the planet. If you want to believe that's changed for some magical reason just because the government said so then you're being fooled.
Sure there is some data but since you seem unwilling to provide any, it doesn't help your claim. Most others agree warming is bad so I guess they haven't seen your data either, seems kind of odd don't you think?

·
Registered
financial independence retire early
22 Posts
Sure there is some data but since you seem unwilling to provide any, it doesn't help your claim. Most others agree warming is bad so I guess they haven't seen your data either, seems kind of odd don't you think?
Seems like a easy fix - provide links to the data so we can learn how acidic and warming oceans are a good thing. How we will enjoy agricultural success on the rocky canadian shield , how mass migrations will be a glorious seamless success and why highly polluted air and drinking water will benefit all of the plant.

·
Registered
13,244 Posts
That is what the deniers and trolls have been using in their argument. We all know the planet is warming naturally but it is the rate of change caused by human GHG emissions that will cause (and is causing) havoc with the ability of our natural world to adapt. The rate of change today far exceeds that of the past, dinosaur extinction excepted, and that is easily measured with tree rings, ice cores and the like.

I believe the rate of change needs to be slowed to avoid a wide range of catastrophic events, or at least reducing the tsunami of them happening too quickly. For that, a pragmatic and responsible effort needs to be undertaken to lessen the pain. I don't agree with the 'chicken little' hystericals beating their heads on the streets panicking like the world will implode in 10 years, nor do I accept the sensationalism of those who hitched their wagon to the gravy train of vested interests. Hopefully, the pendulum will stay between the extremes longer term. I won't be around to see it but I do have empathy for climate effects on our children and grandchildren's lives.

·
Administrator
5,285 Posts
We all know the planet is warming naturally but it is the rate of change caused by human GHG emissions that will cause (and is causing) havoc with the ability of our natural world to adapt.
There are some studies/theories around that say ghg (mainly co2) is not as big factor as many make it out to be. Of course if world co2 levels continue to rise every year the point is moot. On the plus side, less local pollution and energy use is a good thing.

·
Registered
13,244 Posts
Agreed that air, land and water pollution used to be the primary goals before the GHG frenzy took over the narrative. Some of that is still accomplished (at least the air part) with pressure on decreasing fossil fuel use but it does little to mitigate land and water pollution.

Rising GHG concentrations correlates with increasing world temperatures, albeit 'noisily' because it is notoriously complex and a lagging indicator to measure the earth's heat sink. People think too much in terms of just air temperature when the far more complex mechanism is ocean temperature, currents and marine habitats. It is changes in ocean temperatures and currents that affects everything else, e.g. location and variability of the jet steam et al.

Hard core deniers have no idea how stupid they look and they will find themselves naked long after the party has ended. What we really need is a more plausible and measured response from the climate change community and politicians to bring the masses along with them. Appearing panic stricken simply results in them undermining their own credibility. Folks like some in the JT government are their own worst enemies and won't get the response they seek.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Hard core deniers have no idea how stupid they look and they will find themselves naked long after the party has ended. What we really need is a more plausible and measured response from the climate change community and politicians to bring the masses along with them. Appearing panic stricken simply results in them undermining their own credibility. Folks like some in the JT government are their own worst enemies and won't get the response they seek.
A person isn't a climate denier if they question methods and measurements. To accuse them of such makes the accuser look stupid. Until the methods used for measuring temperature are accurate I choose not to fall for the government position on climate. If this is really as serious as we're being told then accurate measurements must be used. Weather stations are surrounded by concrete, near jet engine exhausts, near AC units, etc.

Governments want to completely change the economy but refuse to back up their position with accurate data.

121 - 140 of 153 Posts