Canadian Money Forum banner
101 - 120 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
24,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
The denial about climate change is astounding, but I think it's kind of neat to see what kinds of mental games people play, as part of their denial and resistance to change.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
The games are being played by whoever decides to put up the graphics.

But again, there is large consensus about climate change.
What there isn't a consensus about is how to solve the problem and what to sacrifice. Those are two completely separate discussions and false equivalency you make is counterproductive and disingenuous

·
Registered
19,509 Posts
If climate change is a threat to all humanity........what is there to debate ?

The prudent course of action is to do whatever is necessary to change the eventual outcome.

If we know the end of the path leads to an end to humanity......only idiots would blissfully continue down the path.

·
Registered
978 Posts
The debate would be how to fix it, even if we can fix it.
First it must be determined that warming is bad. That hasn't been proven yet. What has been proven throughout the planet's history is that life thrives when the planet warms.

There's no need for debate when warmer is better. And there's no need to fix something that isn't broken.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
If climate change is a threat to all humanity........what is there to debate ?

The prudent course of action is to do whatever is necessary to change the eventual outcome.

If we know the end of the path leads to an end to humanity......only idiots would blissfully continue down the path.
Whatever is necessary? Not even close. Unless you volunteer yourself and your entire family for a Thanos moment - since that will decrease emissions.

There are some actions that make sense and some actions that don't make sense. This is where disagreement lays. And sooner people start framing the argument in such way, the sooner we can get to constructive debate and solutions.

Stating that people who don't agree with your solutions are climate change deniers is idiotic and frankly you are doing millions of years of revolution disservice by not using your brain if this is the connection that you make.

·
Administrator
5,285 Posts
First it must be determined that warming is bad. That hasn't been proven yet. What has been proven throughout the planet's history is that life thrives when the planet warms.
Not so sure about that .. I believe there is significant evidence that shows bad things are coming due to the warming trend.

There's no need for debate when warmer is better. And there's no need to fix something that isn't broken.
Is there current evidence that shows warmer is better for our current global setting?

·
Registered
14,963 Posts

Is it good for human civilization? Human civilization arose during an interglacial period. Cranking up the heat is bound to be very disruptive. The planet will be fine on geological scale. Humanity?

·
Registered
19,509 Posts
The debate would be how to fix it, even if we can fix it.
Since the science tells us that fossil fuel emissions are the main problem, aren't we already addressing that, albeit in a pathetically slow pace ?

If we can fix it......remains to be seen, but better to try to mitigate the worst of it than do nothing.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Since the science tells us that fossil fuel emissions are the main problem, aren't we already addressing that, albeit in a pathetically slow pace ?

If we can fix it......remains to be seen, but better to try to mitigate the worst of it than do nothing.
Then stop breathing......

Or are there some kind of emissions that are acceptable?
And if the answer to above is yes, then there clearly needs to be a debate on how to address it and where to address it, because clearly cutting it out completely is not practical or desirable

·
Registered
978 Posts
Is it good for human civilization? Human civilization arose during an interglacial period. Cranking up the heat is bound to be very disruptive. The planet will be fine on geological scale. Humanity?
Humans live and thrive in every single climate on the planet, many of them are very severe and inhospitable. I'm sure we'll get by.

Imagine the massive benefit for Canada and other northern countries to have warmer weather and longer growing seasons. Not to mention less fossil fuel use because less heating is required.

·
Registered
14,963 Posts
Fossil fuel use is going to crater regardless. It is going to get squeezed out by alternative energy sources, only accelerated by measures to internalize the negative externalities they create.

·
Administrator
5,285 Posts
Imagine the massive benefit for Canada and other northern countries to have warmer weather and longer growing seasons. Not to mention less fossil fuel use because less heating is required.
You should write a paper on how the warming climate change is so (all?) positive for Canada so we can all get educated before it's too late. :)

·
Registered
978 Posts
You should write a paper on how the warming climate change is so (all?) positive for Canada so we can all get educated before it's too late. :)
I don't need to write a paper, the benefits of warming are well known and yet completely ignored.

That's not an oversight, it's done on purpose. You seem intelligent, I'm sure you can figure out why that is.

·
Administrator
5,285 Posts
I don't need to write a paper, the benefits of warming are well known and yet completely ignored.

That's not an oversight, it's done on purpose. You seem intelligent, I'm sure you can figure out why that is.
Really, so just figuring it on one's own (guessing I think you'd call it?) is good enough for you then? Can you at least provide a list of these benefits?

101 - 120 of 153 Posts