Canadian Money Forum banner
41 - 60 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
15,210 Posts
Canadians are sitting in their air conditioned houses and cars and complaining about heat, that only last few weeks at most. Imagine Africans and Central Americans living in this condition half a year in the houses without AC and riding a bicycle or walking to get around.
Those same people moan about how cold it is and strap on parkas when it is 5C. It's conditioning.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
We conducted a time-series analysis using daily temperature data and a national dataset of all 8.8 million recorded deaths in South Africa between 1997 and 2013.
Overall, 3.4% of deaths (~ 290,000) in South Africa were attributable to non-optimum temperatures over the study period.

This is how news should be given on media outlets, in context.
3.4% of deaths caused by non-optimum temperatures is a lot, don't you think?

·
Registered
19,967 Posts
It looks like anyone who already had property insurance will be covered by insurance, but the companies are not allowing new policies or increase coverage amounts for current policies in areas under the threat of wild fires.

The BC realtor association advises realtors that the situation could impact people buying and selling property as people can't get a mortgage without proof of insurance.

For BCAA a mandatory evacuation releases up to $10,000 for expenses related to hotels, food, etc. People need to keep all receipts.

They are applying the same rules as other companies....no new policies issued and no increases in coverage until the threat of wildfire passes.

·
Registered
5,118 Posts
Back when I was a kid in Oliver BC there were often fires set by people as fire fighting paid $4/hr which was pretty good wages, better than orchard work paid. I know the cops would go to the 2 bars in town & conscript any male sitting around drinking.

That video looks staged as there's no need for a big torch to set fires...bic lighter is just as fast.

·
Registered
24,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Reminder... heatwaves are no joke. BC has determined that 619 deaths were due to heat between June 25 - July 1 last year.

The elderly are most at risk. If you're a senior, you really should have some kind of A/C even if it's just a portable unit. Or make a list of places you can go in case of extreme heat. Maybe visit friends or family, or a building's lobby, basement, coffee shop, grocery store, etc.

Also remember to continuously drink water during hot weather. Don't wait until you're thirsty; you need to proactively drink water. Keep an eye on the colour of your pee, since this is really easy to monitor.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I've been reading an A/C thread on the RFD site and one post that resonated with me is how the heat dome essentially gave a lot of people PTSD (figuratively) and that's why people are going nuts about getting an A/C unit this year. That's basically how I feel.
We previously had a portable unit that we rarely used. And then when we needed it last year, the missus gave it to her parents and I was miserable AF for that week. :D

·
Registered
798 Posts
I've been reading an A/C thread on the RFD site and one post that resonated with me is how the heat dome essentially gave a lot of people PTSD (figuratively) and that's why people are going nuts about getting an A/C unit this year. That's basically how I feel.
We previously had a portable unit that we rarely used. And then when we needed it last year, the missus gave it to her parents and I was miserable AF for that week. :D
During the pre-pandemic years, I used to set the thermostat at 27C and have it at 25C at around 5pm. That was because during the daytime, everybody was out of the house working anyways. Even during the first few years of retirement, I didn't need the AC to be on all the time.

Then when everybody started working from home, I had to set the AC at 25C most of the time.

This year, in February, we changed our 30 year old Lennox AC to a Carrier Heat Pump and now have it at 25C all day because everybody is still at home. We hope that the updated version will be a lot more electrically efficient.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Heatwave: Ferocious European heat heads north
The UK has hit its hottest temperature on record, with a temperature of 40.2C recorded at Heathrow in London
No surprise, they put a weather station next to the tarmac where jet engines run.

It's not global warming, it's fraud.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
No surprise, they put a weather station next to the tarmac where jet engines run.

It's not global warming, it's fraud.
Yeah, I was working in my garden this afternoon in Ontario and my thermometer out there was showing 35 degrees. No big deal, that's just Canada in the summer months. It was quite pleasant. Then I went inside and was looking at CNN and the reporter was all excited about the temperatures in Britain in this 'climate emergency' and how the runways at the airport were all melting. They had an overlay of a thermometer next to the reporter that showed 33 degrees. Meh.........

ltr

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Yeah, I was working in my garden this afternoon in Ontario and my thermometer out there was showing 35 degrees. No big deal, that's just Canada in the summer months. It was quite pleasant. Then I went inside and was looking at CNN and the reporter was all excited about the temperatures in Britain in this 'climate emergency' and how the runways at the airport were all melting. They had an overlay of a thermometer next to the reporter that showed 33 degrees. Meh.........

ltr
We spent most of Sunday outside. It reached 32 with a humidex of 44, a little cooler than your area. I probably wouldn't want to shovel gravel for a couple hours but it was quite pleasant in the shade.

41 - 60 of 170 Posts