Canadian Money Forum banner
21 - 40 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
24,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
45.7C was the high in Kelowna yesterday (Tuesday). Lytton set another national record at 49.6. It is positioned in the Fraser Valley in a way that the 'bowl' cooks. Our AC was able to keep the house to 26C in late afternoon though it did run non-stop for many hours yesterday.
45.7 is insane. Glad to hear the AC kept up and you are doing OK.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Took a swim with a couple of these guys yesterday to cool off. The ocean here is usually a bit on the cool side for swimming, but seems about right the past few days. It was too hot to walk to the lake, although nowhere near as hot here as BC interior. Lytton topped out at 48.6 yesterday.
<iframe width="776" height="437" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Super Moderator
2,090 Posts
I moved global warming posts to

·
Registered
24,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Took a swim with a couple of these guys yesterday to cool off.
Amazing!

Lytton topped out at 48.6 yesterday.
Lytton is now on fire. An hour ago, the mayor ordered the entire town to evacuate. The fire came in very fast and the mayor says the whole town is on fire.

Unfortunately the Okanagan is in danger too, as there are thunderstorms in the forecast and these could light new fires. Let's just hope there aren't too many fires, and hope for rain. What else can one do?

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Amazing!

Lytton is now on fire. An hour ago, the mayor ordered the entire town to evacuate. The fire came in very fast and the mayor says the whole town is on fire.

Unfortunately the Okanagan is in danger too, as there are thunderstorms in the forecast and these could light new fires. Let's just hope there aren't too many fires, and hope for rain. What else can one do?
Wow, that's scary. Lyrtton has long been one of those places that often records tithe high temperature for the day for both BC and Canada. But I never recall fire there before. Kinda' depressing to see that happen. May the rains fall soon.

·
Administrator
5,447 Posts
That's crazy hot in BC, I've only been in that kind of heat a few times in Arizona and it's no fun. We're forecast for mid-high 30's the next few days so there will be lots of pool time coming. The pool is sitting at 29c already but it's still refreshing.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
That's crazy hot in BC, I've only been in that kind of heat a few times in Arizona and it's no fun. We're forecast for mid-high 30's the next few days so there will be lots of pool time coming. The pool is sitting at 29c already but it's still refreshing.
Canadians are sitting in their air conditioned houses and cars and complaining about heat, that only last few weeks at most. Imagine Africans and Central Americans living in this condition half a year in the houses without AC and riding a bicycle or walking to get around.

·
Registered
13,458 Posts
Bodies in Africa and Central America have acclimatized to hot environments (albeit within limits) over time. The clarity of that was loud and clear to us in Namibia on safari in 40-45C heat. None of the staff in our various camps seemed affected by that heat. Same thing in other hot spots that we have traveled in.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
The majority of households in BC do not have A/C. Those that do, it is often a portable unit that does not cool the house very effectively during such extremes. (My mom's house was 35C upstairs even with the A/C running.) I guess the hundreds that died from the heat would still be alive if they'd stopped complaining. Same with the people in Lytton who lost their homes (or lives).

·
Registered
10,214 Posts
^
I guess the hundreds that died from the heat would still be alive if they'd stopped complaining. Same with the people in Lytton who lost their homes (or lives).
... huh? Getting a heat-stroke can be deadly (or by the time one notice it), especially for seniors.

·
Registered
5,118 Posts
Well the trip from Hawaii to Sidney was a cold, frozen and for the most part a miserable excuse for global warming ever experienced. So there's that. Also there was no plastic in the gyre and no evidence of plastic straws so our new straw ban is working already.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Bodies in Africa and Central America have acclimatized to hot environments
I guess the hundreds that died from the heat would still be alive
We conducted a time-series analysis using daily temperature data and a national dataset of all 8.8 million recorded deaths in South Africa between 1997 and 2013.
Overall, 3.4% of deaths (~ 290,000) in South Africa were attributable to non-optimum temperatures over the study period.

This is how news should be given on media outlets, in context.

21 - 40 of 170 Posts