Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13,458 Posts
Except for the pool and being out early morning and late evening. we are staying indoors. Central A/C has been running non-stop here in the Okanagan since about Noon. Currently 44C at 5:50pm. We are used to hot summers but not quite at this level.

A number of places have been opened up for those needing relief from the heat, especially our homeless population. I imagine there have been a number of heat related deaths.

·
Registered
13,458 Posts
Those are insane temperatures. I don't mean to sound alarmist but I also suggest making a back-up plan, in case of power outages. There's got to be a pretty serious load on local transformer substations etc. It might be worth thinking about what to do if there is extended power loss, as unlikely as that may be. Visit someone else? Hide out in your vehicle? Basement?

Depends on what powers your AC of course.

I have some friends in Portland where it got as high as 45, similar to yours. One of my friends told me that his central AC had trouble keeping up and the upper floors were well over 30. So they closed those vents, abandoned the upper part of the house and focused on lower floors and the basement.
45.7C was the high in Kelowna yesterday (Tuesday). Lytton set another national record at 49.6. It is positioned in the Fraser Valley in a way that the 'bowl' cooks. Our AC was able to keep the house to 26C in late afternoon though it did run non-stop for many hours yesterday. AC is almost a must in the South Central Interior albeit not everyone has it.

BC Hydro and Fortis Power, the two providers of electricity in BC, are setting new 'summer' records for demand, but still under winter peak demand (probably due to electrical heating in Lower Mainland condos?). One issue in the Okanagan, especially on the west side of Okanagan Lake, is there is only one BC Hydro line (with wooden poles) to the west side from the main transmission line that runs through Merritt, some 100+km to the West. Despite municipal demands, BC Hydro has yet to commit to and construct a backup in event of a primary failure, albeit they are warming up to an interconnect via marine cable across the lake to the east side with Fortis Power. Both Fortis and BC Hydro would be well served to interconnect to each other for flexibility with a simple 5km or so marine cable,

·
Registered
13,458 Posts
To some degree, I agree. It depends on how savings are passed on to consumers and/or government agencies et al. If there is a direct relationship that will cut costs, e.g. garbage trucks for municipal waste management service, I think that is a valid use of incentives.

Added: Back to topic at hand, we are on track for another day the same as yesterday. 38C at noon

·
Registered
13,458 Posts
Bodies in Africa and Central America have acclimatized to hot environments (albeit within limits) over time. The clarity of that was loud and clear to us in Namibia on safari in 40-45C heat. None of the staff in our various camps seemed affected by that heat. Same thing in other hot spots that we have traveled in.

·
Registered
13,458 Posts
Warming has always been better throughout the entire history of the planet. If you want to believe that's changed for some magical reason just because the government said so then you're being fooled.
That is what the deniers and trolls have been using in their argument. We all know the planet is warming naturally but it is the rate of change caused by human GHG emissions that will cause (and is causing) havoc with the ability of our natural world to adapt. The rate of change today far exceeds that of the past, dinosaur extinction excepted, and that is easily measured with tree rings, ice cores and the like.

I believe the rate of change needs to be slowed to avoid a wide range of catastrophic events, or at least reducing the tsunami of them happening too quickly. For that, a pragmatic and responsible effort needs to be undertaken to lessen the pain. I don't agree with the 'chicken little' hystericals beating their heads on the streets panicking like the world will implode in 10 years, nor do I accept the sensationalism of those who hitched their wagon to the gravy train of vested interests. Hopefully, the pendulum will stay between the extremes longer term. I won't be around to see it but I do have empathy for climate effects on our children and grandchildren's lives.

·
Registered
13,458 Posts
Agreed that air, land and water pollution used to be the primary goals before the GHG frenzy took over the narrative. Some of that is still accomplished (at least the air part) with pressure on decreasing fossil fuel use but it does little to mitigate land and water pollution.

Rising GHG concentrations correlates with increasing world temperatures, albeit 'noisily' because it is notoriously complex and a lagging indicator to measure the earth's heat sink. People think too much in terms of just air temperature when the far more complex mechanism is ocean temperature, currents and marine habitats. It is changes in ocean temperatures and currents that affects everything else, e.g. location and variability of the jet steam et al.

Hard core deniers have no idea how stupid they look and they will find themselves naked long after the party has ended. What we really need is a more plausible and measured response from the climate change community and politicians to bring the masses along with them. Appearing panic stricken simply results in them undermining their own credibility. Folks like some in the JT government are their own worst enemies and won't get the response they seek.

·
Registered
13,458 Posts
There is indeed a lot of noise in the media hyped by vested interests but to say measurements are largely compromised by the proximity of sensors to A/C units, concrete, etc. is rather absurd in the extreme. Certainly some measurements are from improper urban locations but they have been historically so. Most of the millions of weather data locations are not when you examine the studies (think atmospheric, ocean, land, etc) and what is just as important is the trend, i.e. change, over time. Your continued use of
Weather stations are surrounded by concrete, near jet engine exhausts, near AC units, etc.
doesn't say much for objectivity. You are welcome to continue to believe what you believe. Time will prove you wrong. It is only a matter of degree .

Added later: FWIW, I believe in being more objective and pragmatic in the transition than the 'sky is falling' crowd. Rate of transition and adaptability can't overdrive the headlights. Let's just be intelligent about how we get there. I am not about to convert my nat gas heating to heat pump until it is 'time' to change out equipment, and I am not about to buy an EV until the technology has matured better AND my current ICE vehicles reach a meaningful life span.

·
Registered
13,458 Posts
How many are near A/C units, runways and concrete walls? How many of those were surreptitiously placed in such locations in the last decade or two in an ulterior motive to falsify data trends for a 'false narrative' in the rate of temperature/wind/humidity/precipitation?

·
Registered
13,458 Posts
That study is one needle in the overall haystack of studies, reports and op-eds. Apparently not accredited nor peer reviewed for competency though perhaps it has been.

Data gathering is always messy due to environmental variables, but that is where modeling comes in. Modeling takes a lot of data and massages it, and over time, algorithms are tweaked such that model outputs align with historical data on a global basis. You know full well there are a lot of variables and statistical analysis is necessary to establish 'probable outcomes'. We have decades of data and modeling outputs now to get reasonable confidence in projections. If you are a scientist or engineer, you already know that.

Links like you just posted are simply part of a much larger process to understand the data better. They are never meant to be taken literally...except by those with intent to support their particular position. Hang on to any sound bite you wish to support your opinion but opinion has little to do with the reality of current trends. Your assertions won't play out as you appear to currently assume.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts