Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand refunds and credit may take some time.

expedia says refunds could take 30 days.

I haven’t seen Any updates from WestJet, but I’m expecting a credit to my “travel bank”.

please let me know if you cancelled a flight/vacation and received your refund/credit yet.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yes. Travel credits with WestJet. Booked trip direct with them 6 Mar and cancelled 16 Mar. Travel credits applied 16 Mar. Also Budget rental car. Booked same dates and method. Credit card credit 16 Mar.

No problems on my end.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. WestJet updated their site. Could take 45 days to see the credits. See below.

When will I see the credit in my Travel Bank?
This depends on how your cancellation was processed. If you cancelled with an agent in our call centre or online in Manage Trips, you will see the balance in your account immediately.
If you cancelled through the Coronavirus (COVID-19) cancellation form, it may take up to 45 days to see the credit in your account. Thank you for your continued trust and patience as we work through tens of thousands of requests.

·
Registered
174 Posts
At first they didn't want to refund any of it, they just wanted to give me the credit. I said no, spoke with the supervisor and she said 24 hours before the trip she can refund the money, not before that, I'll call in a week and let you know how it went.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Received an email from air canada for one leg of our trip. It was a flight home from Turks on May 3. They are asking me if I want to confirm or cancel my booking. They are offering a credit until March 2021....which isn’t even 12 months from the original travel date. Brutal.

I'm going to wait and see if they cancel the flight on their own. Their policy is to give a 24 month credit if THEY cancel the flight. I think it’s pretty doubtful they will be flying to Turks in early May.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Called Westjet to cancel my flight for a refund travel credit, it appeared instantly. This was almost 3 weeks ago though. I beat the mad rush.

·
Registered
14 Posts
We were supposed to be heading to Disney this Friday, but started cancelling almost 3 weeks ago when it became clear it wasn't going to happen. I think we beat the rush as well - Aeroplan credited the points and fees within days, and I only took a small charge on the rental car from Avis which I was fine with (credit card refunded within days as well). Disney took longer to close the parks and offer refunds, which my brother in law is dealing with - he finally got through to them this week, but had to really push for a refund, including speaking to managers. Might be another 10-14 days for the refund to come through.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Still no refund/credit from either air CANADA or west jet. We booked through Expedia. Called Expedia....can’t connect with a live agent. while we booked through Expedia, the flight portions were charged directly to our credit card by AC and WJ. Expedia’s website says if the airline directly charged you, then you need to contact the airline.

patiently waiting. Resisting the urge to initiate a charge back through Visa.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Contacted air canada and WestJet through twitter today. We were supposed to fly tomorrow. Amazingly, both responded within 30 minutes. Air Canada sent me email confirmation that we have a credit for 24 months. WestJet is only offering a 13 month credit as we booked through Expedia, not WestJet.
Would like to speak to Expedia, but getting through to them has been impossible. They now have said on Twitter that they won’t be able to meet their commitment of providing refunds/credits within 30 days.

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
Does anyone know if there's any govt. pressure being put on the airlines ( particularly WJ in my case) to replace their travel credits with actual credit card refunds? or is that now a dead issue?

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I do recall seeing a story somewhere that some Canadian association was relaxing their stance that credits are okay. Seems airlines in Europe (and maybe Asia too) are giving cash refunds.

edit: I had race tickets for an Indy race in Florida during March. The promoter offered free exchange for next years race once the 2020 was cancelled. Now, the promoter is trying to have the race held in the fall of this year. I initiated a chargeback request on my visa. The promoter rejected the initial claim.....the bank has now appealed and the promoter has 30 days to respond. Apparently, this back and forth can go on for 90 days. The ticket does say “all sales final”, but retail advocates argue otherwise.

anyone know what the sports leagues are doing for ticket holders?

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
I think i saw that US airlines are offering cash back as well.
My concerns are that I won't use the credits before they expire OR that WJ will go bankrupt still owing me money.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Expedia now says flight credits are taking 8 weeks to process. I’m starting to feel a little concerned about the 24 month credit that airlines are apparently offering. They do not respond to emails, DMs....cant even get into a queue for phone calls.

Who really knows what airline travel may look like? What if there are covid flare-ups and flights are cancelled or borders closed again in 2020 or 21?

beginning to consider asking my credit card to begin chargeback procedures. And yes, I know I should consider refundable tickets.....I’m not sure the cost in the long run is worth it......unless flight cancellations and border closings become the norm. Right now, the airlines are holding about $2500 from me. I’ve been flying 1-2 times a year for 25 years......I think the base fares I’ve paid would still be cheaper in the long run even if I somehow lose the $2500 completely this time around.

Do you think requesting a chargeback is fair? I know there‘s a wide disparity in how airlines around the world are compensating clients.

·
Registered
17,057 Posts
please let me know if you cancelled a flight/vacation and received your refund/credit yet.
Recently, Sunwing sent my parents a credit for future travel, good for 24 months. The airline cancelled their flight.

I'm going to add that I also flew with Sunwing, and the pandemic happened while I was in the Caribbean. I was extremely impressed with Sunwing's response, coordination, and communication / information updates. Some details in this post. Absolutely will travel with them again; I even sent a letter of thanks to their corporate office.

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
what do you think the chances are of westjet (or air canada) being pressured or forced into converting travel bank credits back to actual refunds for pandemic-cancelled flights?
must be millions$? tied up.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
what do you think the chances are of westjet (or air canada) being pressured or forced into converting travel bank credits back to actual refunds for pandemic-cancelled flights?
must be millions$? tied up.
sounds like the Feds are helping them out now.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I’m still fighting for a refund for sporting event tickets in the US. They’re considering Moving the event to later this summer....what if the border is still closed? Perhaps they will offer refunds to those that can prove they are non-residents. Locals make up 80% of the fans at this particular event.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got this from Expedia on Monday. No further details yet.

We’ve issued an airline credit for your flight

You are receiving this email as either your airline has cancelled your flight, or it was noted that you did not take your trip as scheduled because of the current situation related to COVID-19. No need to call us, we've got you covered. Your safety and peace of mind are of utmost importance to us, and we want to let you know we have issued an airline credit for your flight.

All the details of your airline credit, such as traveler name, amount, and expiration date, will be emailed to you in a confirmation email that you will receive soon.

When you’re ready to book a new trip, we’re happy to help.

When you are ready, you can call us to book a new flight using your airline credit. Just be sure to have the ticket numbers for each traveler or your confirmation email on hand.

Our call centers are experiencing extremely high call volumes, so we ask that if you do not need to book a new flight within the next 72 hours, you hold off on contacting us.

• To refund additional services, such as baggage fees or seat-assignment fees, please contact your airline directly.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
We were very surprised to get a credit note from a UK supplier (TUI) from whom we purchased a last minute stay at an AI in Mexico. They kept sending me notes that the credit was coming. And it did. Strange part is that we actually did stay at the resort for the purchased days in mid/late March. Several of the resorts restaurants closed two days before we left and we saw that the childrens pool had been closed prematurely. Perhaps this was the reason for the credit note.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Cancelled our October 2020 cruise with Regent on April 30th .Agent promptly submitted the cancellation doc and emailed me a copy. There was a small cancellation fee, which we knew about when we booked. Received the deposit back to our cc 14 days later. The cancellation fee was given back as a credit on a future cruise.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts