Canadian Money Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Anyone can understand the thinking jargey3000. No one wants to lose money. But that does not change a bad decision into a good decision. It just explains why the person made a bad decision.
... not necessarily ... it's only from your POV, it's a "bad" decision. It might not be a "good" vacation in which case their vacation might turn out alright. I think they're just mavericks ... they're supposedly to be "responsible" adults, capable of making their own decisions and this is a free country afterall, right?

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
I only know I would not be fretting over a few, even 10, thousand dollars vs substantial probability of a 4 week quarantine or more, AND possible death, at this time.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Bias is bias. When a human being really wants something to happen, their mind will come up with convincing reasons, many of which hold very little water, as to why they should do something that without that bias, they would never do.

We wrongly assume that our brains are working the way we want them to and hope that it will help us see the difference between right and wrong. Unfortuneately, you would be surprised at how many decisions you have made in your lifetime, that without bias, you would never have made.

Financial Advisors, and anyone else on 100% commission, are faced with this issue everyday and almost all of them, because they are human, will make some, if not many, bad decisions, accordingly. My point is that it is not just FA that have this human affliction. As we have seen with this virus, and in many other instances if we look closely, we all have this affliction. Only if you are aware of this human disability will you be best prepared to combat it.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Many cruise lines are offering their customer the opportunity to cancel with no penalty. Fare is NoT refunded bu credited towards a future cruise. Friends just cancelled a Princess cruise yesterday that was leaving in the next few days. They rev’d a full future credit to be used by 31/12/2021.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
not cruises, but this is prime time for a lot of NL-ers to escape to florida for a few weeks for a break, before returning to wait out the last couple months of our winter....Every day I hear about people still leaving by the planeload and, there'll be the usual mass exodus of families with kids over Easter break in April....wonder what that will lead to...?
should they NOT be going? .....after this most brutal winter, its a tough trip to have to cancel....
(FWIW, we cancelled a trip to vegas/ calgary last month....just as news of the virus was getting going....)

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
May depend on how severe covid-19 cases start building in FL. If they start having hundreds of cases, there is a chance of vacationers being quarantined in their hotels.

Added: As someone mentioned, the real risk is the inconvenience of being quarantined in a hotel, not going to bars, events and activities closed, etc. That is a rough way to spend Spring Break.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts