Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a lot of the threads/articles i've read about funding a questrade registered account (RRSP or TFSA) appear to be several months if not years old. this includes the article on Canadian Capitalist about quickly funding with USD (dated Sept 4, 2007).

so it's been a couple years. has there been any improvement, or should i still expect to wait 20 days while QT holds my USD cheque?

also, how do i convert CDN within QT into USD? i can't seem to find a link or info about this function. 0.5% conversion seems reasonable, as i only have $200 USD at the moment. perhaps i'm looking in the wrong place, it's not through questraderweb?

thanks!

·
Registered
172 Posts
also, how do i convert CDN within QT into USD? i can't seem to find a link or info about this function. 0.5% conversion seems reasonable, as i only have $200 USD at the moment. perhaps i'm looking in the wrong place, it's not through questraderweb?

thanks!
I don't know about depositing USD, but to exchange CAD/USD, you simply log into myQuestrade and under the Funds tab you will find Exchange Funds

After that the USD shows up as x number of units with a random ticker on your portfolio (it won't be listed like CAD funds)

Cheers

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know about depositing USD, but to exchange CAD/USD, you simply log into myQuestrade and under the Funds tab you will find Exchange Funds

After that the USD shows up as x number of units with a random ticker on your portfolio (it won't be listed like CAD funds)

Cheers
thank you! :D

·
Registered
68 Posts
I know before it was quite a hassle to fund your account with USD with questrade (you'd have to mail a cheque over etc.)

Yesterday I moved some of my USD to questrade, I'm waiting for a response, but it seems pretty straight forward so far, it'll be even faster if you are able to use their "e-signature" thing (it didn't work for me, so I have to mail out my signature today). I did a Pre-authorized deposit. You just need to know your bank transfer number and account number where you keep your USD's.

As quoted from their site, under "fund your account":

Automatic, flexible and free, set up regular or one-time contributions with a pre-authorized deposit. In myQuestrade, go to the My Funds tab and scroll down to Pre-authorized deposit. Set up, manage, monitor transactions, suspend and cancel pre-authorized deposits for every one of your Questrade accounts directly from the client portal. Pre-authorized deposits can be used for Canadian and U.S. funds.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know before it was quite a hassle to fund your account with USD with questrade (you'd have to mail a cheque over etc.)

Yesterday I moved some of my USD to questrade, I'm waiting for a response, but it seems pretty straight forward so far, it'll be even faster if you are able to use their "e-signature" thing (it didn't work for me, so I have to mail out my signature today). I did a Pre-authorized deposit. You just need to know your bank transfer number and account number where you keep your USD's.

As quoted from their site, under "fund your account":

Automatic, flexible and free, set up regular or one-time contributions with a pre-authorized deposit. In myQuestrade, go to the My Funds tab and scroll down to Pre-authorized deposit. Set up, manage, monitor transactions, suspend and cancel pre-authorized deposits for every one of your Questrade accounts directly from the client portal. Pre-authorized deposits can be used for Canadian and U.S. funds.
ya for some reason the esigniature thing didn't work for me when i tried to register for QT, so i don't imagine it would work now.

could you let me know how long it takes for your funds to actually reach QT and become available for you to trade with? that statement doesn't say anything about how long it'll take, it may still involve a lengthy holding period. thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
a lot of the threads/articles i've read about funding a questrade registered account (RRSP or TFSA) appear to be several months if not years old. this includes the article on Canadian Capitalist about quickly funding with USD (dated Sept 4, 2007).

so it's been a couple years. has there been any improvement, or should i still expect to wait 20 days while QT holds my USD cheque?

thanks!
I've long since left Questrade, so I don't know what their current system is. My understanding was Questrade was considering using EFTs to pull and push money out of USD chequing accounts. Sounds like it hasn't been implemented yet.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Okay I'll let you know. I'll start counting from today since I mailed my signature today. =) Hopefully they will notify me. I guess I'll notice it in my internet banking.

One negative thing about questrade that i plan to "review" on my blog, is that they often don't have accurate numbers of your "profits and losses" on the positions webpage. I ended up selling a stock that showed that i was in the positive territory, when I was actually quite negative.

I spent 1 hr online and on the phones trying to get a reach of questrade to tell me they can't do anything about it and that it's my responsibility to know. Also, that if there IS a discrepency, i should contact them to change the numbers.

One evening, I was checking on it after hours, and it showed that my portfolio was $32,000 when it's actually $13000! They coded one of the stocks I bought differently (inaccurate ticker symbol) haha...

·
Registered
172 Posts
One evening, I was checking on it after hours, and it showed that my portfolio was $32,000 when it's actually $13000! They coded one of the stocks I bought differently (inaccurate ticker symbol) haha...

Yea their web portfolio data is brutal

I track my portfolio with Google and only log in to QT to actually make a trade. I double check the quote first. Works so far

·
Registered
68 Posts
ya for some reason the esigniature thing didn't work for me when i tried to register for QT, so i don't imagine it would work now.

could you let me know how long it takes for your funds to actually reach QT and become available for you to trade with? that statement doesn't say anything about how long it'll take, it may still involve a lengthy holding period. thanks!
Hey! Sooo.. I got the money in my account January 19. I sent off the E-signature envelope January 11. So it took about 8 days, including mail time.
Better than the 20 days I suppose! It doesn't seem like there is a holding period (other than the 8 days that it took), because the cash is in my USD account with Questrade, "ready to trade".

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yea their web portfolio data is brutal

I track my portfolio with Google and only log in to QT to actually make a trade. I double check the quote first. Works so far
Haha! I thought I was the only one.

The low commissions are unbeatable but there are times when I wonder why I put up with them...

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey! Sooo.. I got the money in my account January 19. I sent off the E-signature envelope January 11. So it took about 8 days, including mail time.
Better than the 20 days I suppose! It doesn't seem like there is a holding period (other than the 8 days that it took), because the cash is in my USD account with Questrade, "ready to trade".
8 days! but i wanna trade NOW!

well, guess it is what it is. guess a worthwhile investment won't go anywhere in 8 days anyway

1 - 12 of 12 Posts