Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How about Jim Cramer of Mad Money (CNBC). He's said to be the Financial Top Guru. Has his advice ever made you make money?

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
My theory is that if these guys (or gals) were such geniuses, they would be relaxing on their beachfront property in the Bahamas watching the waves & dividends roll in, not working on TV trying to sell their latest "system".

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Those guys always intrigue me for some reason. I never go to any of their seminars or contact them. I just sit back and listen to their informercials and am intrigued for similar reasons as vince with the exclusive slap chop offer intrigues me. Great fun.

It's always about building wealth or similar. We see these new faces on bus shelter ads a couple times a year here. You go to those seminars and they collect your contact info and keep the heat down so you pay closer attention to them. It's a way of controlling the crowd and not making it TOO comfortable for them. You can google all about these scams. Again, great fun but OGG is bang on.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I've invested a fair amount based on what certain particular guests on BNN's Market Call recommend. I find that certain experts fall in line with my investment philosophy - Michael Graham and Michael Dector come to mind, but there are a couple of others. I was also convinced to bite the bullet and add some gold related stocks to my portfolio after listening to Eric Sprott being interviewed. Mind you, experts should only be used as the grounds for further research on particular investments and not as a sole source.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
My theory is that if these guys (or gals) were such geniuses, they would be relaxing on their beachfront property in the Bahamas watching the waves & dividends roll in, not working on TV trying to sell their latest "system".
But I beg to differ!

Generally speaking, I don't believe the lazy lifestyle suits the rich/genious class (except the lazy, who might have gotten rich through some luck, inheritance, lottery, Hollywood or such), in fact, 'most' self-made millionaires tend to work longer hours. The majority who have made it big (in terms of money), have incredible ambition, energy, drive, motivation, passion & vision; the sedentary lifestyle is just not for them, and the same would apply to people who may not have made it big in the monetary sense, but in some other way.

But to get to the original question, Mr. Cramer has been right on many occasions & if what I read is correct, he is worth over $50 million dollars, so I don't think he's working for the money anymore, he could be a workaholic. :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Cramer

·
Banned
50 Posts
Alot of people slam Cramer but keep in mind he ran a hedgefund with 20%+ annualized returns for over 20 years. Also he came very close to predicting what was the bottom of the market last year (within about 10%) and just two weeks ago was warning that it would be a good time to get out of the markets so 2 for 2. Having said that, would I listen to his show for anything but entertainment value - hell no.

There are a handful of analysts on Market Call that I really respect and have made $ off their recommendations (Hodson and Cheng come to mind).

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I listen then do my own do diligent. Most never make it pass the first look. Onex was one that made it to a buy and 65% in 4 months.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
But I beg to differ!

Generally speaking, I don't believe the lazy lifestyle suits the rich/genious class (except the lazy, who might have gotten rich through some luck, inheritance, lottery, Hollywood or such), in fact, 'most' self-made millionaires tend to work longer hours. The majority who have made it big (in terms of money), have incredible ambition, energy, drive, motivation, passion & vision; the sedentary lifestyle is just not for them, and the same would apply to people who may not have made it big in the monetary sense, but in some other way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Cramer
Let me re-phrase then. They would be sitting in front of their computers actually earning millions using their formula for success, not flogging it on television. Selling the secrets to your investing success is counterproductive, unless your income is from the selling, not from investing.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Those guys always intrigue me for some reason. I never go to any of their seminars or contact them. I just sit back and listen to their informercials and am intrigued for similar reasons as vince with the exclusive slap chop offer intrigues me. Great fun.
haha, i'm the same way.

"But if you call in the next 20 minutes, we'll also throw in The Grady! We can't afford to keep doing this all day, folks!"

hehe. I love the investing infomercials. The guy drives his luxury car up to his mansion and then turns around and tells us about how we + our retired parents + our bankrupt cousins can make untold wealth if we would all just start investing in forex markets. Gah!

It's so ludicrous that it's funny.

K.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
haha, i'm the same way.

"But if you call in the next 20 minutes, we'll also throw in The Grady! We can't afford to keep doing this all day, folks!"

hehe. I love the investing infomercials. The guy drives his luxury car up to his mansion and then turns around and tells us about how we + our retired parents + our bankrupt cousins can make untold wealth if we would all just start investing in forex markets. Gah!

It's so ludicrous that it's funny.

K.
LOL glad to hear it. It seems everytime I turn on the TV there is someone new with their latest building wealth scheme. I do agree with the person above who said that if it was so great they would NOT be sharing it on TV of all places. Cripes, when I have such a great idea I try to keep it to myself otherwise it will NOT be a great idea if everyone flocks to it.

For those who don't know, here's Vince. Great fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPKtBM99kAc

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I remember those guys who gave seminars on how to make money in the real estate with no money down. In particular, there was that Vietnamese, a boatpeople who did not know one word of English, who arrived in America with no money. Then he became ultra-rich with real estate. That was in the 80's and on TV every night. Anyone remembers?

·
Banned
356 Posts
A lot of stocks had been going up before the downturn in the last 2 weeks. Basically anything that anyone recommended was a good buy! I like watching these shows just to hear about more companies that I would not normally have thought of or heard of.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts