Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone having any luck finding hand sanitizer? Specific stores or online sites that seem to have a regular supply? we have about half a litre left....we only use it when we go out shopping.....but I’m further building up my stock. We’ve already thought of packing bar soap in a ziplock with a large bottle of water to wash our hands after shopping.........if we run out of sanitizer.

I know Canadian tire has a 20L pail in stock....it’s a liquid, not gel.

its $250, but I have a group of 7 families considering buying it and dividing it up.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I have no input to offer re hand sanitizer, we haven't had any need to look for more yet. But we do not go into the supermarket, only do a curbside pick-up and touch nothing till we get home. So handwashing is then easy.

There is another issue that we have discovered though when going out of the house. That is, what if you are 'caught short' and need a toilet? You can't just stop at the nearest Timmy's or McDonalds to use their washroom as was my wife's go to answer in the past. A trip to the supermarket may not be a problem but if people start going out more for just a drive/day trip, it can be.

Time to consider preparing by having a 'portable toilet' in the back footwell?

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Anyone having any luck finding hand sanitizer? Specific stores or online sites that seem to have a regular supply? we have about half a litre left....we only use it when we go out shopping.....but I’m further building up my stock. We’ve already thought of packing bar soap in a ziplock with a large bottle of water to wash our hands after shopping.........if we run out of sanitizer.

its $250, but I have a group of 7 families considering buying it and dividing it up.

There is a still a shortage from the normal commercial manufacturers of hand sanitizer. Fortunately, there has been at least 3 local breweries that have been distilling hand sanitizer. It's been on average 80% alcohol. I had to laugh as they had to change their warnings on their bottles (most used bottles they already had) because there was a few that thought you could drink it.

Our smaller grocery stores seem to stock the hand sanitizer that doesn't seem to sell out in minutes of store opening.

Since soap and handwashing is the better options. I had purchased 'travel' soap sheets. I am avoiding the public washrooms if there are any. So I have a few larger water bottles in the back of the car and you can attach a pump to the bottle. It's a little bit of a pain, but I have had to use it a couple of times. I had considered throwing my camping water jug in the trunk of the car, but haven't really need it.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
I have no input to offer re hand sanitizer, we haven't had any need to look for more yet. But we do not go into the supermarket, only do a curbside pick-up and touch nothing till we get home. So handwashing is then easy.

There is another issue that we have discovered though when going out of the house. That is, what if you are 'caught short' and need a toilet? You can't just stop at the nearest Timmy's or McDonalds to use their washroom as was my wife's go to answer in the past. A trip to the supermarket may not be a problem but if people start going out more for just a drive/day trip, it can be.

Time to consider preparing by having a 'portable toilet' in the back footwell?
... how about going to the home's bathroom first PRIOR to heading out (PROVIDED you do ever go out)? You should be able to hold out for a couple of hours until the next need-to-go.

As for that portable toilet, I'm not sure where you could do your business without being noticed ... maybe in the bushes in cottage country? Can't see doing it in your vehicle unless you have a big vehicle with tinted windows or curtains. Maybe it's time to pull out those VW campers from the 60s ... from the vintage vehicles collection.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts

.. wear gloves when outing despite there are now hand-sanitzers available at my local supermarket for $9 a beer-bottle size (500ml?). No thanks. I'll stick with plain Ivory soap and water for hands. Objects carried into the house gets a squirt of cheap dollar store hydrogen peroxide disinfectant first and later a plain H20 wipe-down.

·
Registered
16,346 Posts
Yes, my local Safeway has a ton of hand sanitizer refills. They are manufactured by a small local company in Winkler MB which normally makes herbal/natural health stuff. It's an aloe gel + alcohol mix. It's the first time in 3 months that I've seen gel-type hand sanitizer anywhere.

When people say "hand sanitizer" they might be referring to two things, which I find are very different:

(1) liquid disinfectant cleaner, usually alcohol like high % ethanol
(2) a gel mixed with alcohol

In my experience, (2) is more convenient for trips out of the house. It's important after interacting with any surfaces, touching doorknobs, being in a store.

For me (1) has more generic use as a cleaner. You can use it on your hands, but you can also use it to disinfect any kind of surface or object. For example, (1) is suitable for spraying onto faucets and door knobs, but (2) is not.

·
Registered
16,346 Posts
Anyone having any luck finding hand sanitizer? Specific stores or online sites that seem to have a regular supply?
See my above post. Which "type" of hand sanitizer are you looking for?

Try your local Safeway or Sobeys. They are stocking them into strange places, so ask employees if they've seen them. Try near the cash registers. And if you are looking for type (1) above keep an eye out for things that look like wine bottles because some distillers are now churning out 80% ethanol hand sanitizer mix and putting them into wine bottle formats.

Beware, that wine bottle format one could be dangerous if someone mistakes it for drinkable alcohol. Do not store them near other wines.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Yes, my local Safeway has a ton of hand sanitizer refills. They are manufactured by a small local company in Winkler MB which normally makes herbal/natural health stuff. It's an aloe gel + alcohol mix. It's the first time in 3 months that I've seen gel-type hand sanitizer anywhere.

When people say "hand sanitizer" they might be referring to two things, which I find are very different:

(1) liquid disinfectant cleaner, usually alcohol like high % ethanol
(2) a gel mixed with alcohol

In my experience, (2) is more convenient for trips out of the house. It's important after interacting with any surfaces, touching doorknobs, being in a store.

For me (1) has more generic use as a cleaner. You can use it on your hands, but you can also use it to disinfect any kind of surface or object. For example, (1) is suitable for spraying onto faucets and door knobs, but (2) is not.
Technically, a 'hand sanitizer' is anything that can clean your hands. There have been many different formulas out there including 'natural' ones. They are meant to have less of a skin drying component than direct rubbing alcohol. However, just because something is a hand sanitizer or cleaner, does not mean that it is effective against the COVID virus. It needs to have at least 60% alcohol. You can have rubbing alcohol mixed with aloe gel, or some sort of cream in the right mix to make a less drying hand sanitizer, it doesn't need to be gel. The natural ones maybe very nice on your hands but will do squat for the virus.

For cleaners, they are often used surface clean if the area is soiled. To disinfect, it must have something that will kill the virus. Alcohol is one of the chemicals, but so is bleach (and many others). You would not use bleach as a hand sanitizer because it would destroy you skin. Same with Lysol wipes, though less harsh than bleach using it to wipe your hands consistently would not be a great idea.

I carry rubbing alcohol, Lysol spray, and hand sanitizer spray with me when I go out, but I could just bring rubbing alcohol and a small hand cream to apply afterwards and that would work just as well as a hand sanitizer.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
See my above post. Which "type" of hand sanitizer are you looking for?

Try your local Safeway or Sobeys. They are stocking them into strange places, so ask employees if they've seen them. Try near the cash registers. And if you are looking for type (1) above keep an eye out for things that look like wine bottles because some distillers are now churning out 80% ethanol hand sanitizer mix and putting them into wine bottle formats.

Beware, that wine bottle format one could be dangerous if someone mistakes it for drinkable alcohol. Do not store them near other wines.
There are some in wine bottles and 'beer' cans. They have said if the container cannot be recapped tightly, you should transfer it into a sealed container so the alcohol doesn't evaporate.

·
Registered
16,346 Posts
There are some in wine bottles and 'beer' cans. They have said if the container cannot be recapped tightly, you should transfer it into a sealed container so the alcohol doesn't evaporate.
Once I open a bottle, I'm putting it inside a zip lock bag. I think that should prevent evaporation, as what gets through the cap will be sealed inside the zip lock bag.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts