Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sadly, for the first time in over 40 years, we won't be decorating the front porch for Halloween or handing out treats.

We were one of only 5 units in our complex who handed out treats last year. A couple of other units also decorated.

Everyone else leaves their lights off. I think this is a tradition that is fading away.......perhaps faster now due to COVID.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Halloween was my favorite time as a kid. Though my kids hate Halloween and candy (go figure), I will reward the kids that come out this year. It's been tough for kids, so we will once again hand out full size chocolate bars, possible two if it looks like many are staying home. We are starting to plan safe trick or treating at our house. It's a little weather dependent but some of our ideas are the following:
  • If its not too windy or cold: Hand out from the garage door, so it's open. We will have a 6 foot table with the chocolate bars in small baskets that we can use our 7 foot hook to push across the table. We have tongs to fill the baskets and will sanitize in between. I am debate putting a large plastic shower curtain from hanging from the door a barrier, and to maybe keep us warm
  • If it's too cold to sit in the garage, then our other idea is to put a clear plastic sheet/shower curtain at the front door as a barrier and have a slot where I can use my 'robotic grabbing hand' (some kids toy that allows you to reach an extra 2 or 3 feet) to hand out the candy. Ideally, we would a 'slide' from my door to the bottom of the stairs so kids don't have to come up the narrow way. I am still figuring this part out as I don't have a railing. Alternatively, I would love to drop the candy from the window just above the garage, but can't seem to get the screen off. I could sit at my coach and do work.
- We are also getting yellow ribbon tape, and glow arrows and creating a flow from the street to our door so kids don't need to pass each other as much. We will be marking the 2 meters apart for small groups.

My kids are a little surprised at how much effort we will put into this, but we are trying to spread a little happiness with the kids. I loved Halloween and will do what ever I can to continue with it.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Halloween was my favorite time as a kid. Though my kids hate Halloween and candy (go figure), I will reward the kids that come out this year. It's been tough for kids, so we will once again hand out full size chocolate bars, possible two if it looks like many are staying home. We are starting to plan safe trick or treating at our house. It's a little weather dependent but some of our ideas are the following:
  • If its not too windy or cold: Hand out from the garage door, so it's open. We will have a 6 foot table with the chocolate bars in small baskets that we can use our 7 foot hook to push across the table. We have tongs to fill the baskets and will sanitize in between. I am debate putting a large plastic shower curtain from hanging from the door a barrier, and to maybe keep us warm
  • If it's too cold to sit in the garage, then our other idea is to put a clear plastic sheet/shower curtain at the front door as a barrier and have a slot where I can use my 'robotic grabbing hand' (some kids toy that allows you to reach an extra 2 or 3 feet) to hand out the candy. Ideally, we would a 'slide' from my door to the bottom of the stairs so kids don't have to come up the narrow way. I am still figuring this part out as I don't have a railing. Alternatively, I would love to drop the candy from the window just above the garage, but can't seem to get the screen off. I could sit at my coach and do work.
- We are also getting yellow ribbon tape, and glow arrows and creating a flow from the street to our door so kids don't need to pass each other as much. We will be marking the 2 meters apart for small groups.

My kids are a little surprised at how much effort we will put into this, but we are trying to spread a little happiness with the kids. I loved Halloween and will do what ever I can to continue with it.
Plugging Along job well done

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Sadly, for the first time in over 40 years, we won't be decorating the front porch for Halloween or handing out treats.

We were one of only 5 units in our complex who handed out treats last year. A couple of other units also decorated.

Everyone else leaves their lights off. I think this is a tradition that is fading away.......perhaps faster now due to COVID.
... don't feel bad as Toronto has long cancelled Halloween and its residents told to limit Thanksgiving to family only. Even the annual Santa Claus parade is going virtual this year. [At least it's on and everyone can watch it from the warm comfort of home with their hot chocos or beer.]

I guess when Covid19 is over (or the vaccine becomes available whichever earlier), people can celebrate their missed holidays with a vengence. Ie. double the treats for Halloween, take the entire week off for Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc. :p

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Oh, it looks like the rules have changed or Halloween is still on but with restrictions:

Specific Halloween advice for Toronto, Peel and Ottawa is coming soon but mayors want 'one clear message'

Mayors from across the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area are calling on the province to deliver “one clear public health message” when it comes to Halloween, even as Ontario’s top doctor hints that the advice could be different for residents in the “so-called hot zones” of Toronto, Peel and Ottawa. ...
This might be good news to sags ... :)

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Why bother. Children are entertained easily in a myriad of other ways. They can be distracted to forget about Halloween without much effort. I see little reason to send children to collect items from random houses that have been handled by a multitude of strangers. Seems crazy to me to take this risk without compensation other than feeding sugar to children.

ltr

·
Registered
13,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would still decorate but the wife has made the decision final........lights out this year. No leftover goodies for Sags.... 👀

1 - 11 of 11 Posts