Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked back at some old trade slips, but couldn't find a previous instance. I bought some TA (TransAlta) which, according to my broker, were bought on the Toronto Stock Exchange.

Quantity 100 at 14.685

So half-cent increments are possible on the TSX? You can't enter orders using half cents, but I guess fills can happen... seems rare though. I have seen half cent trade fills before on DLR.

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
Imagine how much a brokerage can make from "rounding" all these digital pennies

US banks have been penalized millions for doing that but not near as much as they profit. Meanwhile crypto often has 8 even 16 decimal places because why not. Even still crypto "dust" is known to accumulate and get left on exchanges

My IB and Questrade statements round off but when I build my own spreadsheets there are decimals

·
Registered
9,639 Posts
I looked back at some old trade slips, but couldn't find a previous instance. I bought some TA (TransAlta) which, according to my broker, were bought on the Toronto Stock Exchange.

Quantity 100 at 14.685

So half-cent increments are possible on the TSX? You can't enter orders using half cents, but I guess fills can happen... seems rare though. I have seen half cent trade fills before on DLR.
... I think you can enter half a cent in your trade (which is dependent on your brokerage) as I just recalled and checked one of my transaction and it sold at $1.405.

Now I noticed one of my buy set by my brokerage was at 4 decimal places despite I never or have entered more than 3 decimal places. My buy limit price was set at $31.78 but the actual price that went through was $31.7783? Maybe I saved a couple of pennies there?

·
Registered
13,243 Posts
Now I noticed one of my buy set by my brokerage was at 4 decimal places despite I never or have entered more than 3 decimal places. My buy limit price was set at $31.78 but the actual price that went through was $31.7783? Maybe I saved a couple of pennies there?
That was an equity trade, or a mutual fund trade?

·
Registered
24,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Equity. He said it was TransAlta.

I've seen this a few times as well. I always found it strange.
Interesting that you've seen it before. I think it's the first time I've had my own trade fill at a half cent increment.

As mentioned before, I saw it on DLR in the past, but that was other people's trades (shown in the trade history). I just wonder under what circumstances one gets the half cent.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Many years ago when the Toronto Stock Exchange was called the TSE, stocks were traded by increments of $0.125 (1/8th of a dollar). So at some point you must have made purchases that averaged $x.625 and then after then the denominations were changed to $0.01, you may have acquired some shares with up to 6 cents in its price in all adding up to $0.625 + $0.06= $0.685.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
You know, I said I'd seen it, and I felt confident when I said that. But I just went back through all my confirmations for this year and none of them had this. A couple did have part of the batch selling at a cent higher than the rest of the batch, which would cause the overall price to reflect as a half-cent. I wonder if that's what I was seeing and not digging into the details.

·
Administrator
5,282 Posts
A couple did have part of the batch selling at a cent higher than the rest of the batch, which would cause the overall price to reflect as a half-cent. I wonder if that's what I was seeing and not digging into the details.
^^ This is the only time I've seen it go half cent, partial fills a cent apart.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts