Canadian Money Forum banner

281 - 300 of 305 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
He tried to put dangerous criminals in jails.
The courts don't want to do this.

The problem isn't the laws, it's the lack of enforcement, and a failure to protect people.
The vast majority of crime is committed by repeat offenders.

If you're carrying an illegal, loaded handgun in Toronto, I don't see why you should ever be let out of jail.
Each party has to work within the rules of the Bill of Rights/Charter of Rights and Freedoms. When Court ruled against, Harper didn't even try to fight it and change the Charter.

Thinking a new government is exempt from the Courts and rule of law is lunacy.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #282
Man, you realize people are working to reduce it, even if it's not a crime.
Yes, that's why I'm for improved mental health care, and other steps that will reduce suicide. But there is a huge stigma against mental illness, and even needing some help.

I actually want to make things better. I don't support "feel good' initiatives that won't make things better, and even may make things worse.

The experts on gun crime thing this ban is a bad idea.
The data doesn't support it
The police chiefs don't support it.
Several police forces across Canada (including Ottawa) don't support it.

It's simply a cheap political shot to gain a few votes.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Wow...if the majority of Canadians feel like this I need a new country....
Just wait till the 2024 Electorial Seats get awarded. Majority is going to Urban centres. . .Gun Rights advocacy in Canada is becoming a fringe movement.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #284
Just wait till the 2024 Electorial Seats get awarded. Majority is going to Urban centres. . .Gun Rights advocacy in Canada is becoming a fringe movement.
I agree, and it's very unfortunate.
When a large portion of the population is being treated unfairly, it's not good.

We have a government making laws based on what buys votes, not what's in the best interest of the country.
Though I don't approve of everything they did, Mulroney and Chretien actually did take on major challenges, even if it was politically difficult.

What frustrates me the most is that people should be livid about the failure of the Trudeau government to even make a serious attempt at reducing gun crime. Gun crime is a serious issue, and even now, he's not making any effort to reduce it.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
People are not happy with Trudeau. No question. The challenge is this is unhappiness is more than eclipsed by the dismal performance of Andrew Scheer and by the almost comical goings on with the Conservative leadership contest. Not to mention that it is only their 'B' and their 'C' players (to be very generous) who are in the contest.
Not a healthy situation for Canadian politcs to be sure.

Thanks to Scheer and to the leadership comedy, the Trudeau Liberals are, as I understand it, up 19 points in the polls since the election. Totally unheard of.

The gun issue is a complete non starter for the Conservatives. They will get support....but only in those ridings which they will win anyway. In Quebec,the Maritimes, 416/905 it will not play. Or perhaps worse. There is no cheese for them with this, only potential downside IMHO. That is IF, unlike the last election, they actually decide to come up with a platform other than than on transgender bathrooms and abortion.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #286
People are not happy with Trudeau. No question. The challenge is this is unhappiness is more than eclipsed by the dismal performance of Andrew Scheer and by the almost comical goings on with the Conservative leadership contest. Not to mention that it is only their 'B' and their 'C' players (to be very generous) who are in the contest.
Not a healthy situation for Canadian politcs to be sure.

Thanks to Scheer and to the leadership comedy, the Trudeau Liberals are, as I understand it, up 19 points in the polls since the election. Totally unheard of.

The gun issue is a complete non starter for the Conservatives. They will get support....but only in those ridings which they will win anyway. In Quebec,the Maritimes, 416/905 it will not play. Or perhaps worse. There is no cheese for them with this, only potential downside.
I agree, the CPC seems to be stuck in the same camp as the US democrats.
We both have the worst leaders (Trump & Trudeau) in recent history, yet the opposition can't seem to find a decent candidate.

No offense to those at least trying, but Peter MacKay is the Hilary Clinton of Canada. He's not as evil, but he just isn't inspiring.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
I watched a segment on '60 Minutes' last night that was talking about 'ghost guns'. Another eye opener as to where people can LEGALLY get guns without any problem at all.

When I was a youngster, I like many others liked to build plastic models of cars, planes, boats. Now you can buy a 'kit' online, have it delivered to your door and make your own guns just as easily. Because you have do do some filing and drilling of a few holes, they are not a 'gun' under the law until AFTER you have done that work for yourself.

Watch the video.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #290

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
told RCMP that the NS shooter had illegal weapons, and they didn't even investigate.
I read that story too. It is sickening. I wonder if complaints from neighbours is generally enough to get a search warrant? The police would have to actually look around a bit to suss out weapons, not necessarily just ask at the door. And that would likely require a warrant. I wonder if the AG made it really easy to get a warrant specific to illegal firearms, such that the police could barge in and sniff around, specifically for firearms and nothing else, would that power please us?

When the fire martial has the power to inspect your smoke alarms for compliance with the legal requirement, what legal power does she rely on? Could a power like that be enough to follow up on firearms complaints, I wonder?

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I suspect that the new firearms regulations are no longer in most voters line of vision. It is over. Even the Conservatives are smart enough to let it go. Sure there will be some MP's still trying to make this an issue within their ridings however I suspect, as ever, the real purpose is to get some media attention in their local area.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #295
Article by a Veteran advocating for increasing the ban on guns.

yawn
As a veteran I disagree with these bans on civilian firearm ownershipt

I think if the police did their job, and enforced the laws,, we wouldn't have these problems.

Look at NS, it's a prime example, a violent dangerous person had illegal weapons, and the police did nothing.

They didn't even investigate the illegal weapons.

It's one thing to have a law, but the near complete lack of enforcement is disheartening.
Why are criminals allowed to roam free with guns, but law abiding members of society can't enjoy sports like target shooting or hunting?

As far as these people shooting themselves in the foot with handguns, clearly they weren't trained.
If you don't put your finger on the trigger, it is very unlikely you're going to shoot yourself or anyone.
There is no reason, other than incompetence, to put your finger on the trigger of a gun as you take it out of the holster.

Most ranges do not allow users to use a holster, until they take a "holster course" for this reason. There is a reason fireams accidents are virtually nonexistant in Canada.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Actually a rather silly article that few capable of independent thought would agree with. Are we supposed to accept that because he's a "veteran" (how impressive) he is endowed with some divine insight?

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #297
Actually a rather silly article that few capable of independent thought would agree with. Are we supposed to accept that because he's a "veteran" (how impressive) he is endowed with some divine insight?
Of course, it's confirmation bias.

In my experience the typical veteran actually knows an AR15 isn't a C7 (or M16, or M4)
Also they're not scared of law abiding citizens with guns.

Even the police chiefs are against the continued harrassment of law abiding gun owners.
It's just ignorance and cheap city politics, combined with a failure of law enforcement.

Much easier to blame law abiding gun owners, than to actually investigate criminals.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Actually Veterans & Police are bigger contributors to the Gun Deaths than your average citizen. Suicides rates have been elevated in those groups for as long as stats have been around. The Ban is for a lot of Veterans' own good despite whether they voted for the change or not.

There's a case to be made for a stricter firearm ban than the one in place already. The latest developments are a more incremental step in the right direction.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #300
Actually Veterans & Police are bigger contributors to the Gun Deaths than your average citizen. Suicides rates have been elevated in those groups for as long as stats have been around. The Ban is for a lot of Veterans' own good despite whether they voted for the change or not.

There's a case to be made for a stricter firearm ban than the one in place already. The latest developments are a more incremental step in the right direction.

Yes, suicide rates in high risk jobs are elevated, we've known for decades there is a mental health crisis in those jobs.
Interesting that you don't mention gun crime, or overall deaths, or murders.
This is a common trick, you purposesly self select a datapoint that itself is misleading.
If we got rid of 100% of all guns, except those possessed by legitimate police and military while on duty, then 100% of gun deaths would be by police/military. So what's your point?

Secondly suicide isn't a crime, and the gun ban on "assault rifles' doesn't do anything about that anyway. A single shot shutgun, which isn't banned, is likely the best tool for that job anyway.

I'd like to point out that US data shows licensed CCW/gun owners have a lower crime rate than pretty much every group, including police.
Canadian data shows a similar trend.
Licenced law abiding gun owners commit crimes at one of the lowest rates in the country, and virtually none of the gun homicides in this country are from licensed gun owners.

FYI, insurance companies don't even care if you have a gun in the house, for liability or life insurance. Statistically it simply isn't a factor in Canada. Everyone who understands gun stats knows this stuff.

There is a case to be made for everything, but could we at least start enforcing the laws?
I have a question, if the police do not enforce the current gun laws, how will more laws, change anything?
At some point we have to ENFORCE the laws we have.

NS would have never happened, except for a massive failure to enforce the law, and the police to do their job.
I would argue that the actions of the police in NS were criminally negligent, and that's the problem.

281 - 300 of 305 Posts